Stress

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (14 posts)
  1. carogathoni profile image60
    carogathoniposted 13 years ago

I have been spending sometime now trying to figure out why some people are more susceptible to stress while others are not. I have not yet found out so I thought using this media might be of help. I have met some people who have to have something to worry about, even when their worries are solved , they will still come up with something else to stress them out and they manage to make it a mountain out of a molehill. In this article I would like to specify that am concentrating on the negative stress that leads to depression and such kind of ailments and not the positive stress.

It is very difficult even for doctors to define stress because it is differs from person to person, the symptoms magnify themselves differently depending on the person involved. The other point is that people can live with stress for a very long time without acknowledging it, since to some, it might appear as a sign of weakness while to others, its probably the only way they know life is.

The other issue is that, the causes of stress are different from person to person. Some people who are used to being wealthy can easily get stressed for the need of wanting more than the not so wealthy folks. I have travelled to the poorest nations and have the pleasure of meeting very poor people materially and I stress materially as defined by the western countries because, the folk I met might have been the happiest people I have ever met, despite their material problems. They were giving, kind and loving, and I couldn't help but wonder how human beings without an idea of what to give their children for dinner, can offer such a volumptious lunch, with such love and kindness and openness, and even would be offended if you didn't take the meal.I know there are also kind and loving people who are wealthy materially as there would be men hearted poor people, but its this generosity and happiness that caught my eye.

In the western world stress is a common name among households, especially with families with small children. Parents have no time for themselves and for the children. Carriere life has become so important that it is mostly what defines our lives, its by what we do for a living. In this way a carrier and or lack of it become major sauces of stress in our daily lives. I do not have the answer but I can challenge you to take a leaf from the example I gave with the poor folk that I met, lets spend time being grateful for what we have, being grateful for the blessings that come our way, by this I mean, I learnt that, a visitor coming to their home was a blessing, and finally, lets re-evaluate our selfish nature. Nowadays life revolves around me, myself and I syndrome, common quotes like, 'I don't have enough time for myself', 'I don't have enough space for myself', 'this noise is too much for me.' should not be the prime focus on our lives.

Finally I would say, lets reduce the stress around us by evaluating our needs, whats important and we might just realize life is not so hard afterall..

1. digitalthinker profile image61
      digitalthinkerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

“It’s gonna take a lotta love to change the way things are.” Some of us can remember the Neil Young song sung by the late Nicolette Larson in the late 70s and early 80s. There is no doubt that it is going to take a lot of love to overcome the fear and anger that’s widespread in the world today.

In actuality there are only two emotions that humans experience. All other emotions branch either directly or indirectly from these two emotions. They are fear and love. When we awaken, or are enlightened, we discover that we can choose which emotion we want to be predominate in our lives.

A Cherokee Legend

An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. “A fight is going inside me,” he said to the boy. “It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves.

One is evil – he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority and ego.”

He continued, “The other is good – he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith.

The same fight is going on inside you – and inside every other person too.”

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, “Which wolf will win?”

The old Cherokee simply replied, “The one you feed.”

Feed your inner self with thoughts and speech of joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion. Praise everything. Not only will you change, but you will effect change in thousands of others without knowing it.

2. Shahid Bukhari profile image62
      Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Stress ... is a Mental cum Physical, State and Condition of an individual.
      It can manifest as any of the many unnatural, physical, or mental states or conditions.

The question, as to why we go into Stress ... The answer, Is ...
      we suffer Stress ...

When we are helpless ...
      When we are hopeless ...
      When we are Faithless ... and
      When there is a Physiological, or a Psychological Cause or Irritant.

A person, who is normally fit; has Faith, and Believes ... never has Stress. Whereas, those, like a "Patched up" boat, sailing the mad seas of Science, following Theories, or the Media's fed nonsense, preached by those, who are out for a fast buck ... and not The Truth ... find it impossible to keep their heads above water.

When you Believe in God ... Means, you do not Doubt your own Self.
      And thus, those, who Believe, live a far better life, than those, who do not Believe, and of their own Choice, live miserably.

Remember, Life is not all smooth Sailing ... When we are born, we have to face the ups and downs ... These Ups and Downs ... "are" Life ... only the dead lie in comfortable coffins and ride a fancy hearse ... not the living !

2. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

Stress is unavoidable in contemporary life.  But. It should be short,temporary and should be replaced by rest and relaxation. if it is not happening, if stress is a permanent fixture in your life - you'll burn out. Sooner or later.

3. Str8up Hookups profile image42
    Str8up Hookupsposted 13 years ago

God grant me the serenity
    to accept the things I cannot change;
    courage to change the things I can;
    and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
    Enjoying one moment at a time;
    Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
    Taking, as He did, this sinful world
    as it is, not as I would have it;
    Trusting that He will make all things right
    if I surrender to His Will;
    That I may be reasonably happy in this life
    and supremely happy with Him
    Forever in the next.
    Amen.

This keeps my stress down,I say it daily whenever it pops into my head,nothing stressful has to be going on,I carry it with me in my spirit.

4. carrie450 profile image60
    carrie450posted 13 years ago

Beautiful Str8up Hookups.

5. carogathoni profile image60
    carogathoniposted 13 years ago

Thank you all for the replies you have posted. Its is so refreshing to read positive thoughts. Love oneself, rest and relaxation, figuring out we can't change everything, the Cherokee legend..All of them are so uplifting. We should learn to practise these when we are down.
    Thank you all for the contribution.

6. Deep August profile image57
    Deep Augustposted 13 years ago

I find no hope in this crack road, no faith in this dry valley. Search by heart, search by soul, i search through the cracks of thy eyes. Looking for the truth in this world, blinded by branches; just memory's of the landmarks i set incase i came back. Follow me i know the way out of this darkness, i been here and know how to get out. Just breath, and have persistence.

Forever_ knowledgeable

7. profile image52
    shashi_nynposted 13 years ago

Well i don't think we can avoid stress, if we don't like things going in our way we start feeling s*t*r*e*S*S. If we can get along with this stress and balance this with other part of our life we can reduce our stress level.

I don't see any best way, every one has to find his solution to run away from stress. Stress will always be there we have to cope up with it.

8. MOTrainer profile image61
    MOTrainerposted 13 years ago

We live in a world where we are bombarded with stress from almost every interaction we have, be it technological, physical, emotional, and the like. I read somwhere stress is becoming a major killer in the U.S. today, and is it any wonder? We are never unplugged and disconnected. Even on "vacation" we are glued to our laptops anytime. Our 24/7/365 lifestyles are preventing us from enjoying what really matters, being alive. I recommend taking 10-15 a day and just tuning out. Leave your desk, turn down your cell phone, and either close your eyes or read a book-leave the world behind, and you will return renewed.

9. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

not wanting what you cannot have is the key - I really believe this - desiring things that are beyond your means brings on all kinds of stress.  A good exercise is to look closely at every day - first thing in the morning - and really see what you are grateful for - then carry that good feeling through the day.  Problems will seem to resolve themselves when you have a grateful attitude.

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Exactly!  Greediness and pride. We want more. Me is just the same. I live in a nice apartment with a big balcony, clean(when my son don't mess it), sunny side, airy, 3rd floor, relatively cheap. Do you think it is enough for me? No way. I want my own house.  Nothing but greediness and pride. People want more and more and unhappy when they cannot have their carrot.

10. profile image57
    HarveySmith123posted 12 years ago

Stress is the reason for two thirds of the total visits to the Physician. It is also the leading cause of the coronary artery diseases, cancer, accidents and respiratory diseases besides some others.Stress aggravates following illnesses: Hypertension, insomnia, diabetes, herpes, multiple sclerosis, etc. Besides, stress that continues for long periods of time can lead to: poor concentration, irritability, anger, and poor judgment.
    Causes of Stress:
    1. Financial Problems
    2. Workplace Stress
    3. Personal Relationships
    4. Health
    5. Irritants

11. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years ago

Stress has always driven me to greater things An effect while tough always delivers good results in the end smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)