Should I redo my hubs so that advertisements appear at the top?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (32 posts)
  1. bangingbeauty profile image55
    bangingbeautyposted 12 years ago

Hi, I joined HubPages about 2 weeks ago and I'm constantly finding ways to improve my hubs. I start most of my hubs with images, causing the advertisements to appear towards the middle or end of my hubs. I read that it is better to have advertisements appear at the top of hubs. Should I redo my hubs for better ad placement? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Regards,
    BB

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's nice to keep ads above the fold: that is, visible without scrolling down.  The top right, to the side of the first text capsule, should be reserved to the big adsense ad that will be placed there if you have left room for it.  You can check this by "previewing" your hub while editing it.

1. Nurfninja profile image60
        Nurfninjaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

that's good advice, thankyou.

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
      mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Try to make sure your first text capsule contains enough text to allow for both a picture and an advert to the right of the text. Then simply align your first photo to the right as opposed to full width. Don't forget to look at 'Preview' to get an idea of if both the image and the first Ad capsule will appear, (if not write more text). Also remember that you won't see all the adverts whilst logged in, and you will see what most readers see if you first log out before viewing your published hub.
      Welcome to HP smile

2. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I'm interested in knowing whether it worth keeping the ad top right corner seeing adsense has died a death compared to the impression based ads of Hubads?

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87

Well the top right Ad gets paid through HP Ads, not Adsense, although it is an Adsense Ad if that makes sense. I am making good money right now, so I guess it works smile

If you are on HP Ads then the only capsule paid by Adsense directly is the lowest block Ad on the right hand side of the page. All others are paid through HP Ads, whether they are Adsense Ads or not.

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes if you are getting good traffic you will make good money, but OK so its a Hubad, but is it impression-based? So anywhere on the page would give the same results, or not?

I can't answer that because as far as I am aware HP have never released on what basis they pay out for Adsense Ads. I assume they have a different deal to 'per click' though.

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Which ad are you making money from?

If you continue as instructed in the past, then there are two ads side by side?

Isn't that sort of overkill at the top, including the HP Ads Program banner at the top?

I'm getting paid almost nothing from Adsense when I have HP ads on, but I'm receiving more from HP Ads program daily than I am from adsense, on a daily basis.

The old rule doesn't seem to apply anymore, however, I'm not presently done with my testing of ad placements either.

Hi Cags, who did you aim this comment at as there was no quote?

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Anyone who had the nerve to take it up. wink

LOL, well in that case my only answer would be 'I wish I knew'. I do know I am earning well right now (as you know), and I can say with HP Ads on I am earning about £2-£3 (GBP), a day from Adsense, (which isn't bad if you consider it is only one block of Ads three quarters of the way down the page on the right). My HP Ads are earning me over $20 (US) per day, and often closer to $30. Not sure if Ad placements are making any difference because not completely sure if they are relevant to HP Ads (paid on impressions etc). My Adsense is not disappointing and is actually much the same as pre-panda levels when I was only on Adsense.

The whole earnings thing and how it is generated is all in all very confusing, so I usually just happily accept it and concentrate on quality articles, keywords, back linking etc to ensure traffic that will result in income either way (hopefully).

Okay, now a question for you- before Panda, I was averaging about 10-20 clicks per day and I was okay with that.

However, since I turned on HP ads? It seems like I'm not earning clicks at all?

Is there a way to tell between earning from clicks and earning from just impressions. From what I can tell, I'm earning only from impressions and haven't received any clicks on HP ads whatsoever, which I find odd.

When I turn HP ads off and go with adsense, then my click rate increases, but the amount per click isn't good enough.

Any clicks on HPads are going through HP and they don't report them - just the total $$.

I'm finding the exact same thing with adsense alone - I get some clicks without HPads on (and 1 -5 per day with HPads turned on) but the CPC is abysmal.  It isn't worth it.  I usually see around 50 cents a day from adsense on impressions, though, and that helps some.

Then with the extremely low daily earnings I receive from HP Ads Program, I must not be getting clicks, which would prove to me that the original format as suggested for Google Adsense "block" ad would be incorrect.

It should be moved elsewhere, so I will continue my testing.

I don't know about that.  Even an impression ad may pay more for that spot; if you block it you may not get that.

It's my understanding that most, but not all, of HPads are impression based.  The recent change, however, to including many adsense ads in that program may change that.

Thank you, but that doesn't help. sad

Do you look at Adsense to check out click levels Cags? I can see on my Adsense account page clicks, and can even narrow it down to the sites if I click on 'Performance Reports' and then 'URL Channels', (assuming like me you have set up the URL of each site you write on). This will only tell me the clicks I am getting that Adsense pay out on though. I still don't really know what basis we get paid for the Adsense Ads that HP Ads pay us for (it is all too hidden). No-one seems to know if those Ads are also paid on impressions or if the clicks are converted and paid via HP, or if there is a completely different arrangement in place between Adsense and HP.

If you set up analytics you can see which hub produced clicks, with a total # of clicks and earnings for each hub each day.  You won't even need channels set up.

Interesting. hmm

You should take a look at it.  Use the "configure" for analytics in the earnings section; it is easier that way.  If you have other sites you can add them in as well, although you can't do it through HP of course.

I have set up analytics, but only in the last month or so, which means it will take time for those results to come through and show a good average across the board. Might be worth looking at properly in a month or two smile I was more thinking that if Cags wanted to be sure how many clicks a day he was getting from HP he might not be using this.

Unfortunately, it will take time to get any meaningful results.  Still well worth it for down the road, though.

2. Cagsil profile image70

Yes Misty. However, as I have said before in the forums, I recently changed my URL channels over to the sub-domain and adsense isn't tracking individual hubs anymore. It's tracking my overall account, but nothing else.
                My adsense account and URL channels are no longer working as they once did since I made the change.
                I understand that and I used to be able to tell which hub the clicks were coming from, but now I cannot.
                But, with my low daily earnings, it would still mean I'm not getting clicks, just impressions, which would mean something is wrong.

My CPM for HPads has become quite variable, which could be from clicks coming in....

Sorry Cags, don't know what else I can add, plus time for bed for me as it is after 06.30am here and I really should be asleep smile

My Adsense does give me info on clicks on sites I write for, but not on Hubs individually, (I can get those figures on Analytics). Clicks coming through HP Ads on the Adsense blocks (if that is how those work) do not show. I still think that we are probably on a different deal through HP on the Adsense Ads they pay out on, and this would possibly be based on impressions (even on Adsense Ads) if they come through, and are paid by, HP.

Night night, gotta sleep now smile

A final word, Misty - you might check out WebMaster Tools as well.  You can get some great information there on what your hubs are doing, although not so much about earnings.

And with that, it makes three of us.  Good not all. smile

4. bangingbeauty profile image55
    bangingbeautyposted 12 years ago

Thanks for the advice guys, I will play around with the ad placements and see if there is any improvement. I have both HP ads and Adsense on, I do see some figures per day from HP ad at the moment, and so far none from Adsense.

5. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Okay, I'm just frustrated about this whole situation now. Forget it. I'm going to bed. I appreciate the effort, but it's not helping.

6. zanaworld profile image58
    zanaworldposted 12 years ago

I always ensure to have a text capsule as my first capsule.  And I enter enough text the capsule to give enough room for an ad to appear on the right of the text capsule.  Only then, I add a picture relevant to the first the subject.

1. bangingbeauty profile image55
      bangingbeautyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks zanaworld, I plan to give this a try as recommended by yourself and some of the senior hubbers. There will be quite a few hubs I need to relook, but better to start now than later smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)