Didn't you just know it?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (34 posts)
  1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 12 years ago

The IEAE has suggested that Iran is currently building nuclear weapons. Many, many people knew this would be their stance. A suggestion that building nuclear weapons is completely different then possessing nuclear weapons. If Iran has to declare whether or not they are building, or indeed possess, nuclear weapons, then shouldn't Israel have to do the same? How do you think this inspection could be more balanced. Can we avoid another war?

http://globalspin.blogs.time.com/2011/1 … op-tehran/

1. Evan G Rogers profile image60
      Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Note to self: Remember what happened 8 or so years ago in Iraq.

It's amazing that no one can remember "our intelligence agencies lie about Middle Eastern Countries and nuclear weapons".

Ron Paul 2012

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

roll

2. Hollie Thomas profile image60
        Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We know that, but right now this is not a Ron Paul moment.

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Hey Hollie,

From what I've heard, Israel has nuclear weapons and it's been constantly restated many times.

As for Iran building nuclear weapons? Well, that's a problem and could destablize the Middle East even more so. hmm

Yeah, I get where your coming from with this. But from what I've read, Israel has never admitted or denied that they have nuclear weapons. Whether they have or haven't, should not they be inspected, too? Why just Iran? Remember Iraq and the BS we were fed there? Inspections should be universal, no country should be excluded from this kind of inspection.

1. Repairguy47 profile image59
        Repairguy47posted 12 years agoin reply to this

The countries who have never shown any ability to restrain themselves from acts of aggression should be inspected, I'm sure your next post will include how the United States can't stop being hostile to others but to Americans we have restrained ourselves time and time again.

Didn't mention the US. Reading comprehension springs to mind.

1. Repairguy47 profile image59
            Repairguy47posted 12 years agoin reply to this

That had the potential to be funny, but, eh.

Repairguy, this is not a funny subject. I was not trying to be funny or criticize the US, or any of her citizens. If we go to war with Iran, we should be very afraid. If this is what Israel wants, then they should sacrifice there own citizens, not US or UK citizens.

2. Cagsil profile image71

I'm not saying that they shouldn't be inspected. If it's not yet been proven that Israel has nuclear weapons, but the claim that they do have them, then yes by all means, they should be inspected to prove either way.
        Not just Iran, but any Nation.

Every nation. It's amnesty time IMO.

Personally, I would prefer a world without nuclear weapons altogether, but at this particular time that's not realistic, because the human species has too much aggression still in it's blood. Not to mention, the businesses- upper 1%ers and plenty of other idiots refuse peace.

Me too, and I know that nuke disarmament, however much we want it, is just not a realistic goal at this time. However, the the posturing is coming from Israel. They're the ones that are really making the noises here, US, UK we're sheep. How can we demand that Israel be prepared to expose themselves to the same kind of inspections and restrictions. We cannot demand from one country, what their aggressor is unwilling to give.

Hollie, everyone(every nation) should be open to being inspected, for peaceful reasons. If they are not, then they are not open to peace.

It is a money maker, that's the sad reality. Death and destruction is a money maker. I just hope we can make enough noise about this, I don't want to see another war, especially not the one that is looming.

I've accepted it as a sad truth, leaving reality out of it. lol
                    Yes, both, but so is construction and everything it entails, such as products/goods which are required to rebuild.
                    The one you see looming could happen and still not cause WWIII. Just to let you know.

2. Mighty Mom profile image77
              Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's a really good point, Cags.
              War is a money maker.
              Somebody got rich off Iraq and Afghanistan.
              Didn't help the economy much, tho. Did it???

Thank you MM.
                It's always been that way.
                Lots of people made money from it.
                No, it didn't and the American people should be asking government why not? Yet, nothing has been mentioned with regards to it. Ironic. hmm

2. Hollie Thomas profile image60

It's not yet been proven that Iran has them either. A suspicion, suggestion.

3. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

I like the idea of universal inspections.
    I mean, if "we" wait until a known aggressor is strongly suspected of having nukes, then it looks like we are targeting them for inspection.
    Why shouldn't everyone have to come clean?

We should set the example here in the US.
    Nuclear arms?
    YES! We've got 'em.
    WMDs.
    Nope. We used to have them but hid them in Iraq.
    Ok, who's next?
    smile

I dread to think what the UK have. As a nation we're pretty puny, but sneaky (I'm not proud of this) We should all be inspected. Any ideas for an impartial, independent Inspector? wink

1. Mighty Mom profile image77

Do you mean a person or a country?
        How about Switzerland?

Both, maybe...I was thinking Norway. lol

1. wilderness profile image94
            wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I guess I'm not understanding. 

You would inspect the UK.  You will find weapons.  What next?

If all you are going to do is inspect Iran and not follow up with any action, why bother?  If you will take action against Iran for having nukes, shouldn't you take the same action against the UK?  And if you do, who will take that action, the UN? Without overwhelming force behind the actions, will the UK allow anything?

Yes, what gives one nation the the right to have nukes but not another? Personally, I wish we could do away with them all. But my point is, why just inspect Iran. What about Israel, they are suspected to have nukes, however, correct me if I'm wrong, they have never confirmed or denied this. Isn't this a double standard?

Might and power gives a nation the right to determine who has nukes.  There can be no morally accepted reason.  I suppose survival might be considered (thinking of Israel's precarious position there) but it is pretty shaky.

I still don't understand why you want to inspect if any action stops there.  Why even pay the inspectors salaries, minute though they are in a countries budget?

Will you then point your own nukes at Iran and make sure you get first strike?  Should America aim at the UK because they have nukes?  Why do you want an inspection?

I just don't think it's reasonable for one country to say "We have nukes, that's ok, but you can't have them" As much as I disagree with nuclear weapons, it's apparent that some countries develop them so they wont get too bullied by western powers. The point I was trying to get across is that if we, decide that countries should be inspected and then prevented from developing nukes, then shouldn't that include all countries. Should we be pointing nukes at Iran, because we believe they have nukes? And, if so, shouldn't we be pointing nukes at Israel, because we believe they have them, too?

"...we, decide that countries should be inspected and then prevented from developing nukes, then shouldn't that include all countries"

Therein lies the problem.  If we inspect all countries and deny them the right to nukes, who will take away them away from England? Or America?  Who will take on China and Russia?

It being that we can't do these things we are limited to taking them away from countries that are much weaker than we are.  Rule by strength.

Mind you, I would love to see every nuke in the world disappear and every single nation, including my own, inspected regularly with the rest of the world ready to pound on anyone caught with a nuke, but it isn't going to happen.  I'll have to be happy keeping them away from my enemies that I am strong enough to take them from.  And that number gets smaller every year.

2. Mighty Mom profile image77

How do you feel about Colin Powell?
            I think he deserves a second chance to get it right this time.
            Not sure if I should even put a "lol" after that. sad

Sorry, I think the whole situation is sad and frightening. Sometimes my way of dealing with it is inappropriate, especially in writing.

4. Topnewhottoys profile image59
    Topnewhottoysposted 12 years ago

Not to take issue with the various pro's and con's (although in this situation I do agree with the "Might makes right" theory).....

But who's to do the inspecting? And no copping out with a U.N. answer. It's nothing more than a political tool for the "Big Boy" nations.

GA

1. Mighty Mom profile image77

I think that's the whole problem. The "Big Boy" nations make the rules and impose them inconsistently depending on who else is in their club (this week).

I'm sure the US knows categorically whether Israel has or doesn't have nukes. In fact, I would wager we supplied them.
      It seems we trust Israel to exercise restraint and not deploy their nukes. But we don't trust Iran not to deploy theirs.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)