Was Shakespeare a really good poet?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (36 posts)
  1. profile image0
    PhenomWriterposted 12 years ago

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5764611_f248.jpg
    Many people find Shakespeare's work as 'tough'; but those who do understand, do understand what a genius he was. But was he a good poet?

1. Paraglider profile image88
      Paragliderposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The short answer is 'yes'.
      There are occasions in the plays where he puts some pretty lame poetry in the mouths of his characters, but on these occasions, the character may well be a jester and is not supposed to be a great poet. So it's good characterisation.
      The sonnet sequence is exceptional taken as a whole, with many of the individual sonnets widely recognised as standalone masterpieces.
      (And of course most of the history and tragedy plays are written entirely in blank verse).
      I'm wondering why you asked the question?

1. profile image0
        PhenomWriterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good that you wondered...

Do you know what this thing is called Poetry?    -If only you can answer that question I have nothing else to ask.

I'd settle for Louis Armstrong's answer when asked to define jazz - If you have to ask 'what is it?' you ain't never going to know!

1. profile image0

That makes it subjective...

Yes, but if thousands of people's subjectivities appear to coalesce around the works of particular poets, maybe there is something of substance there.

1. profile image0

Interesting-- Do you consider ' thousands of people's subjectivities' to be any evidence for any given phenomenon?...like religion, faith, or appreciation of literature?

I don't want to take this to the realms of religion or faith, because I've written plenty of hubs on these topics.
                  But keeping with poetry, the world is full of wannabe poets who are sure their stuff is good. If thousands of people concur in respect of certain individuals, then maybe their stuff really is good. If hardly anyone does, maybe it's not.

Of course there are plenty of objective criteria too, especially in formal poetry (such as Shakespeare's).

1. profile image0

Did you say 'may be'...?

I will love to hear those objective criteria, if such a thing exists. I never heard anything called 'formal poetry'...nice to get to know such a fabulous form of literature exists.

2. couturepopcafe profile image61
          couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

To ask 'what is poetry' is to ask 'what is love'  for
          if i could live upon your tattered brow
          and bathe my heart within your silken tear
          then there would be the portent of my dream
          complete resplendant love unbidden there

but suddenly i am no longer bold
          remove the words of anger spoken there
          what once was full of life now quickly gone
          the cause of such defeat i can not bear

so precious to your soul the gift you hid
          you close your heart from breaking even now
          no flame nor e'en desire holding there
          but i, to save your love and this i vow

would live among the misty streets of dreams
          if i could live upon your tattered brow

What is poetry, indeed.

1. profile image0

Subjectively 'great'...

2. wanzulfikri profile image60
      wanzulfikriposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your question got me thinking. Maybe we perceive him as a good poet because of what others told us. Personally, is it us who love his poetry or others?

Of course his reputation goes before him, but I can be counted among the many who genuinely enjoy and revere his poetry.
        Having said that, the intensity, poetic diction and Elizabethan English combine to make him a difficult read without a bit of work and/or a good teacher.

3. profile image52
      jaiswalpayalposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes , but the drama "JULIUS CESAR" I don't understand.

2. profile image0
    PhenomWriterposted 12 years ago

For me, Shakespeare was a good Thinker, a better Writer, a great Rebel, but a mediocre Poet - if poetry is about beauty and subtlety.

He has a practical usefulness, but does he have spiritual intensity? I doubt...

You are right. Many people praise him out of conformity; that's so easy. roll

1. cdub77 profile image69
      cdub77posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I want to encourage anyone to have an opinion, but people we need to base our discussions in fact and reality. 

Let's talk about the reality of Shakespeare's poetry.  He only wrote it for a brief period in his career when the plague closed the theater houses in London around 1590.  He wrote two longer, book length verses and he wrote 154 Sonnets in this time.  Now lets look at the evidence for his genius:

The feminine formation of iambic pentameter adds an additional syllable for line, making 11 total.  There are 14 lines in a Sonnet.  That means the maximum number of syllables for any Sonnet is 154.

Now, Petrarch, for those who don't know, made the Petrarchan Sonnet the foremost form of poetry in his day.  We're spoiled with the advents of E.E. Cummings, T.S Eliot, and others to have our ideas of poetry broken free from what the term meant when Shakespeare encountered it. 

Shakespeare encountered the Petrarchan Sonnet (An Octet, a turn, and Sextet). It was incredibly popular.  So what did Shakespeare do?  He said, I'll see your rules and raise them by my own:

I'll use three quartets and a couplet.  I'll preserve your original turn at line 9, but I'll add another one at line 13.  I'll redefine my rhyming scheme even more strictly than Petrarch, and then I'll turn the Sonnet on it's head in 154 different ways.

My personal favorite trick he does is use the word WIll to refer to himself as well as the will to do something.  It's genius all the ways he turns it around (I think it's like Sonnets 134-137). 

Furthermore, he has some powerful analogies between love and all sorts of things in this world that he develops into phrases that have three or more definitive meanings that not only don't conflict one another, but enhance the meaning as a whole.  For example, the idea of distilling beauty for preservation against time is discussed as a process of pressing flower leaves, having a child, or having poetry written about you for quite a long time in the beginning as the speaker, and older man, tries to convince the object of the Sonnets, a younger man, to be judicious with this love.  Not only this, but Shakespeare effectively subverts the speakers own desires both syntactically and semantically through inventive word play.

The truth of the matter is, if you don't think Shakespeare is a great poet, you haven't done the work to encounter him as he demands to be encountered. 

People, your opinions are fine, but William Shakespeare's work stands in defiance of ignorance for anyone with the desire and passion to encounter this unique and most satisfyingly brilliant of men.

Please go pickup a copy of the Arden Shakespeare's Sonnets and read the notes on each Sonnet as you go through as well as the essays before and after, as I did.  It will edify and delight all who seriously wish to understand Shakespeare.

To call him mediocre is to vastly misunderstand poetry, the development of the English language and poetry, history on this planet, and your own assessment skills.

1. profile image0

You go too rash before you understand someone. Don't get it personal, Shakespeare is neither my uncle or your uncle.

Just tell me what is Poetry? I will assess later; you may try to find one yourself. Poetry is a subjective matter. It depends on the reader what he likes or dislikes. Unless you can prove objective substance in a poem, that enterprise is worthless.

2. couturepopcafe profile image61
        couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

cdub - nicely done. 

'The truth of the matter is, if you don't think Shakespeare is a great poet, you haven't done the work to encounter him as he demands to be encountered'.

Truer words were never spoken about any artist who deviates from the accepted standards.  IMO, every artist demands to be encountered on his own terms.  One reason I abhor juries.  They make us suffer for our insanity.

3. Thelma Alberts profile image91
    Thelma Albertsposted 12 years ago

Yes, I think Shakespeare was a good poet. The very best I think.

1. profile image0

In what way was he "The very best"? Is there any criteria?

4. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

I love Shakespeare's sonnets, especially 116. It was read at my oldest daughter's wedding. You guys know that many of the sonnets were written to another man?

Yep. The polite establishment were long in denial of it, of course.

2. profile image0

May I ask - are you saying that many of his poems were written by other writers?

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No! Many of his sonnets (the first 126) are addressed to another man. It could have been a lover or a rival poet. From Sonnet 20:

"A woman's face with nature's own hand painted...
        A woman's gentle heart...
        And for a woman wert thou first created..."

5. BakerRambles profile image71
    BakerRamblesposted 12 years ago

I am going to say it was s lover, as there are other duarte from citizens within the city that told of his escapades.

6. ellinachen profile image58
    ellinachenposted 12 years ago

He really was a good poet. But sometimes it is not easy to understand what is the meaning of his poem.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)