Einstein Time Travel

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (46 posts)
  1. jtyler profile image59
    jtylerposted 12 years ago

According to Einstein, because of the effects of time dilation, one would travel back in time if he exceeded the speed of light (which itself is impossible).  My question is, would he be aware that he is traveling back in time?

By the way, when he says back in time, he means the person will travel back in his own personal timeline.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When you start "uneating" your breakfast, you might figure it out.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

2. LookingForWalden profile image60
      LookingForWaldenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for starting this cool thread topic.
      To my knowledge nothing can exceed 99% the speed of light without infinite mass.
      Also, I thought you could only travel forward through time. At least it's only been proven for going forward with time dilation.

I think now physicists say with wormholes or black holes it's possible to go back in time but then you get into the whole grandfathers paradox, multiverse stuff which I love.

1. emrldphx profile image60
        emrldphxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The current understanding(under siege) is that something can't accelerate to the speed of light. However, that's not to say that there isn't some other method to 'transition' to the speed of light or faster.

It's really just speculation as to what would happen after that. Wormholes/black holes sound better to me.

If you think about the universe as a 3-d snapshot, imagine that being a point. Then, 'time' which is the progression from snapshot to snapshot would be a line. Kind of like a comic strip. To get to 3-d from 2-d, you have to add depth, but a 2-d being can't comprehend what that third dimension would look like. We can because we are 3-d, but we have the same limitation with time. We can't imagine a higher dimension where it would be possible to skip backward/forward through time.

Along with being able to time travel, with the 5th+ dimension theory, would be 'possibility' travel. It's like if you were a comic character that suddenly could pop out of your comic strip, you could look down on all your comic strips and choose which you wanted to enter.

3. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

He said no such thing about  traveling back in their own personal timeline.

2. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

Tachyons?

1. Captain Redbeard profile image61
      Captain Redbeardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

uhh I think you mean quakyons big_smile

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nope - tachyons.

yeah...................it was a bad joke hmm nm

1. habee profile image92

Oops! Sorry, it went over my head, I guess!

No it just wasn't delivered well lol *sails away on his pirate ship into the blue yonder*

3. LookingForWalden profile image60
    LookingForWaldenposted 12 years ago

I want to travel into the future where all the problems are worked out and robots do everything.
    Then I shall leave before they revolt. And come back again. To the futures future.

4. emrldphx profile image60
    emrldphxposted 12 years ago

Oh yeah, I meant to say, black holes present an interesting option for a new dimension, basically by putting a hole in space-time.

5. LookingForWalden profile image60

Yeah, I love reading or watching documentaries about wormholes and black holes. It's some really out there stuff.
    It's seems like we know so much and so little at the same time it's crazy.

6. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 12 years ago

I think you are all a little behind the times.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/ … than-light

1. LookingForWalden profile image60

Tthey just disproved one result on it like 2 days ago with Icarus.

jtylerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is a more recent experiment than the one you"re thinking of, I believe.

2. Will Apse profile image88
        Will Apseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think you misunderstand the nature of scientific inquiry. It will take a genuine experiment (or series thereof) before this inconvenient result is disproved. Or the new data is accepted and digested.

No I understand it quite well. My point reinforces that there is along long way to go before the results are accepted.

3. emrldphx profile image60

The 'disproof' didn't even attempt to measure the speed, but the energy upon arrival. It's ridiculous for them to think they would know what the energy levels would be for something that they think is impossible.

Another disproof is that 'the neutrinos should lose most of their energy' if they travel faster than C. There's no formula in science to describe a particle going faster than C, so there is no such thing as 'should' at this point.

Pseudo-science trying to defend their beliefs is what that is.

2. habee profile image92

So neutrinos might be tachyonic? Fascinating!

http://www.actaphys.uj.edu.pl/vol29/pdf/v29p0113.pdf

7. Captain Redbeard profile image61
    Captain Redbeardposted 12 years ago

Here's a question from a most uneducated person.

Isn't light just a marker in distance? Traveling faster than light would just mean that you reach a point before it does right? You would be in the dark waiting for it to catch up. How does moving faster than light mean you travel through time?

I mean if you run faster than a car, you don't travel in time you just reach yur destination before the car does.

Nobody expected to run into the things we did when we started dealing with very high speeds. The problem is, at any practical speed that we use on earth, any time or space dilation is so infinitely small that we couldn't even detect it until not very long ago with very expensive stuff. So, we don't see the effects in our everyday life.

For most of this stuff, you have to be travelling along the lines of 300 million miles per hour to notice differences without precise instruments.

But, we've verified. For instance, several tests took two identical atomic clocks(atomic clocks only lose 1 second of time in 20-100+ million years) and flew them around the world in opposite directions. Because of the rotation of the earth, this means the clocks travelling in one direction are travelling faster than the clocks travelling in the other direction.

When the clocks met back up, they were showing different times. Both speed, and gravity, directly affect the 'rate' at which time progresses.

Great explanation.

I'd just like to add that space and time are related.

Gravity warps them.

I believe they proved Einsteins theory by looking at stars during an eclipse and noticing how the suns gravity " bent" the light, altering their observed points.

As of right now 99% the speed of light is the universal speed limit. No mass can travel faster.
        If you were to travel that fast for one earth year, when you returned 223 years will have past.
        However you would have aged one year.

This is the closest we've gotten to C(outside of the current neutrino studies)

"99.9999991% c, or about 3 metres per second slower than the speed of light"

hmm  2+2=4 big_smile

8. emrldphx profile image60
    emrldphxposted 12 years ago

Just for some interesting thought.

Researchers detected a particle colliding with the earth's atmosphere at 99.99999999999999999999951% c. It had ten million times the energy of the particle  in a particle accelerator that only went 99.9999991% c.

So, the energy needed to accelerate from 3 meters per second slower than the speed of light to .0000000000000000001 meters per second slower than the speed of light is 10 million times greater than the energy it takes to get something from 0 to 99.9999991% the speed of light.

This particle had the energy of a baseball travelling at 55 mph.... tremendous when you consider that the baseball is something like 75 million million times larger.

9. LookingForWalden profile image60

If I'm fortunate enough to live to be an old man I would volunteer for any time traveling experiment.

10. jtyler profile image59
    jtylerposted 12 years ago

These are interesting theories.  However, it seems the topic has strayed a bit.

The time dilation, if the object moves faster than the speed of light, would cause objects and people inside of the ship to move back in time.  Would the people inside of the ship be aware of this?

11. Alastar Packer profile image72
    Alastar Packerposted 12 years ago

As most of us already know, conventional relativity theory says nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. Einstein's equations suggested that as you approach the speed of light, you gain mass.  You can never actually reach the speed of light, because theoretically at the speed of light you are now as massive as the entire Universe. However, a Dr. Vladimir Ginzberg made a revolutionary discovery: You could turn that same relativity equation upside down. In the process, everything still works- you don't violate any laws of physics, but there is one major difference: As you approach the speed of light, you lose mass instead of gaining it. This means that once you reach light speed, you have no mass left- at least not in space- time. This simple change to one Einstein equation has absolutely stunning implications for human civilization.~ David Wilcock.  So if we could get an atom whirling inside at light speed we could pop it over into space-time. Does this discovery have any implications for time travel?

1. habee profile image92

I dunno, Alastar, but it's fun to think about! If time travel were possible, where (when) would you like to visit?

It is possible. Or do you mean like if we had a machine built? Because I have dibs on first.

1. habee profile image92

What era would you like to visit?

Well I got to go see Jesus first and tell him brotheryochanan says hi. Then I'll probably go to the renaissance and watch all of that beautiful art get made. Then, lol, I'll just casually drop by on every historical moment in history. From Martin Luther's 99 thesis to the signing of the declaration.

Where you going?

1. habee profile image92

I'd like to meet Jesus, too, and I'd definitely go to Renaissance Italy. Shakespeare is a must, also! And I'd love to meet my favorite poet, Thomas Hardy.

2. Alastar Packer profile image72
        Alastar Packerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Habee that's a good one to contemplate. I believe we can make our own future, or rather make choices that will lead us to a certain time-line. As far as history goes there are so many defining events and notables...probably, no, if could only visit one time frame it would be 12,000 years ago to see if there really was an advanced civilization in the world then.

1. habee profile image92

I hadn't thought about that. Good idea!

2. LookingForWalden profile image60

That's really cool information. I don't know is invite mass still infinite mass if it's going the other way? Or do you think it's more relevant to sub atomic physics?

3. jtyler profile image59

If this equation is true (the reversed one), I suppose the effects of time dilation would be reversed, which means that one you reach the speed of light, an infinite amount of time would pass inside of the ship while no time at all passes outside of the ship.

1. Alastar Packer profile image72
        Alastar Packerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Only a simple lay-person in the physics department but it sounds right to me jtyler!

Really, I'm a lay-person myself.  Maybe I'm a bit more than that, but there is a lot I still don't know about that kind of stuff.  I'm going to start reading books on it, however.

12. AshtonFirefly profile image71
    AshtonFireflyposted 12 years ago

Great thread going on here. I love reading about these kind of things...very interesting. I know only a minute amount of the subject, so I won't try to contribute, but...very interesting stuff. It reminds me of one of my favorite books, "Brief History of Time," by Stephen Hawking. The more I find out about what we know (or don't know) about the universe, the more fascinated I become with it.

I know how you feel.  I feel that I am only scratching the surface myself.  I downloaded some ebooks about the subject, but I haven't gotten a chance to read them yet.

13. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years ago

Travel forward in time? No way!!!!! I wrote this post 3 days before the time stamp for it appearing here smile

14. LookingForWalden profile image60

I feel like traveling in the past would unite us in the present regardless of what we learned to be the truth.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)