The lack of commenting is disturbing!

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (30 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Indigitalposted 12 years ago

Evening,

While I cannot complain with my views on Hubpages, I'm at a bad stage with commenting. I just wonder why nobody seems to enjoy my Hubs enough to comment. Are they too long? Do they not appeal to the Hubpages audience?

I do try and make them as lively as possible - but I sometimes find even myself coming off dull and dry. I will take any criticism about how I write and try to better myself. So, shoot!

1. profile image0
      Indigitalposted 12 years agoin reply to this
      1. brittanytodd profile image88
        brittanytoddposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I read your hubs!  (I'm one of your followers and in the challenge with you.)  I always vote and click on the "useful", "interesting," etc., but I sometimes have nothing to add to the conversation.  Would you be happy to get comments like "Great hub!  Voted up!"?  Sometimes I think those aren't the kind of comments people want.  I'll try to comment more, though.  Keep up the great work!

Also, you post a lot of instructional hubs, so maybe people take the information, but don't bother to comment because they got the information they wanted.  I think putting polls and questions in hubs help to prompt further discussion in the comments.

2. Pcunix profile image91
          Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I instantly delete that kind of comment.  It ads no value.

1. That Grrl profile image73
            That Grrlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

People often check to see if you replied to their comment. If you delete their comments they aren't likely to leave a second comment. You may be overlooking the value of the comment.

1. Pcunix profile image91

There is no value to "Great hub!"  and there is nothing to respond to.

All this is about is people who hope to get some link love with near zero effort.   Many of them don't even read the article they so enthusiastically endorsed.

2. melbel profile image94
              melbelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't know what kind of exchange that would be... something like this?
              Commenter: Nice hub!
              Hub_Author: Thanks!
              Commenter: You're welcome!

I wouldn't respond to that kind of comment. I would probably delete it because it says to me that the person didn't even read or remotely "scan" my hub.

In fact, doesn't HubPages kind of discourage short comments like that with the comment accolade? If you leave a lot of "nice hub" comments, your accolade would be like a one or something. Not that accolades mean anything, but it's a way to encourage people to write longer, more thoughtful comments.

As a commenter, if the hub doesn't motivate me to give an opinion or leave a suggestion or offer some sort of "nugget" of info, then I don't leave a comment. If it was still a good hub, I'll click one of those "interesting" or "funny" buttons. That's what those buttons are for... to let the reader know that you found their information to be useful/good/interesting/whatever without leaving a comment that says "Great hub!"

On a side note... weird thing... but I find comments like "good job" kind of insulting and it's hard to explain why. It seems condescending to me somehow.

So why mention it other than to incite emotion from the user you unfollowed? It's petty to bring it up in public.

2. Little two two profile image86
            Little two twoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There is value, but not the kind of value you want, its not comments loaded with keywords $$$.

Knowing you delete comments that you deem valueless, show me you censor your 'discussions' or are unable to accept a simple compliment. So your right, my reading your articles and saying great hub, quite informative, thank you .. is a waste of my time and yours .. since you will only delete it.

Your right, its better I don't visit your hubs at all.
            Its better I dont share your articles with family or friends who may benefit from them.

Surely that has more value.

Ayup.  You said it.  Leave a useless comment and I will delete it.  If that offends you so much that you will never return, I don't think I have lost much.

You do realize that 99% of these are just people who want a link back to themselves?  Maybe 1% are tight lipped folks who honestly just wanted to say "Nice job!"; the rest are just seeking attention in the easiest and laziest possible way.

By the way, "your" is possessive, as in "your car" or "your money".  You want to use "You're" when you mean 'You are right" or similar sentiments.  Sorry, it's a small matter, but one that annoys me.

1. Little two two profile image86

I am not offended in the least, I am difficult to offend takes a lot of effort. I can look at a situation from more than one angle, can argue it to, whether I believe it or not. I was just trying to point out how others may view or see such a steadfast stance for no real reason other than your personal opinion.  I just do not see the value in cutting off a portion of possible viewers over something so small that does not even reflect on you or your work. 
                Every one has their quirks, mine is when people sprout opinions and made up numbers as if it were fact, not a fan of spin doctors. Do you have sources for your statistical information presented here? Or were those just numbers you took out of your head, based on your personal experiences here, even if it does sound somewhat jaded.

Are you talking about my casual use of "99%"?

Yes, that's obviously a made up figure.  I can't be sure of anyone's motivation.

Let me try to explain the value:  suppose I had a page with 200 comments and 183 of them were two word "Great job" or similar useless expressions.

What would a new reader think?  How hard would it be for them to find comments they might actually care about?

You want to say "Great job?"  "Plus" it, "Like" it or share it.  That actually means something.

1. Little two two profile image86

I understand what you are saying and it is a valid point. As a new reader, I scroll right past all the comments that are one or two words. I don't leave the hub cause of it. I don't look down on the author for it.  But every one is different and you may lose a few readers who couldn't be bothered to scroll a bit, kind of just as lazy as the reader who took the time to say great hub, thank you … as a compliment to your work, regardless what you assume their motivation is, they took the effort to write/comment. That is more than the one not willing to scroll a little bit.

You said previously, the loss of me as a reader or viewer of your hubs, was no great loss to you when I questioned your comment of deleting comments and I said that does not encourage me to post again nor view your hub. Knowing you delete comments you don't consider valuable leaves the door open that you would delete a comment you don't agree with (censorship) even if it was filled with valid points.

But I ask, why is the loss of me as a reader who is interacting with you no big deal or real loss to you, but the loss of other new readers are a loss for you when they are to lazy to scroll down a bit? I am new to hub pages, maybe I am missing something, not sure.

I like, plus and share all the time actually ... to date I have posted a number of different articles written by others that I felt a friend may like or enjoy, since most of my social circles are either not interested in a site like hub pages or flat out don't have the time to peruse the thousands of articles. But when the article is on one of their feeds, they are all over it.

2. marriedwithdebt profile image77
                marriedwithdebtposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Pcunix - "You're" comment tantrum on "You're" smartest guy in the room Hub the other day, plus these comments, have just caused me to press Unfollow for the first time on HubPages.

:-)

No comment.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
              Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's not a reasonable conclusion.  Deleting a meaningless comment is not censoring discussion.

Like Pcunix, I do not provide a Comments box so I can collect compliments to boost my ego.  I provide a Comments box so people who want to voice their opinion can do so.   Comments like "great Hub" just clutter up the space and distract people who are trying to read the Comments section.  That's why I delete them.

I'm bamboozled by Hubbers who seem to think that if they make a comment, they're doing the writer a favour.  I provide a comments box for the reader's benefit, not for mine.

Give the lady the big prize from the top shelf!

Exactly.  FOR THE READERS.  Not for Google, not for $$$$, but for the readers.  Take care of the readers and everything else takes care of itself.

3. profile image0

Just having that makes me feel as though people are reading my work. I know views and votes may be nice, but I like comments to know which members actually enjoyed it.

Okay.  I'll remember that when I read your hubs, but I will try to make more insightful comments. smile

2. livelonger profile image86
      livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Do you leave the type of comments you like on other people's Hubs?

Sometimes you have to practice the behavior you want to see in others. Leave insightful comments, and you won't be surprised when others return the favor.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Your target are searchers coming from search engines. Not Hubpages members.

I mean, if you would like people to comment more on your hubs, then I would suggest you become more active within the community itself. When you leave a comment on someone's hub, there's a good chance they might just check you out and see what you write about and possibly even read and comment on your hubs.

I've no clue whether or not your hubs are dry or dull or even too long. I've never read one.

However, on a side note, the Extreme Hub Makeover forum thread is a thread that is designed for you to post a couple of links to your hubs and get critiquing. You are more than welcome to do that if you would like, but to ask people to go through your 40+ hubs and critique them is a bit much.

Just thought you would have this information and now you do. wink

1. profile image0

I am sorry, I've never been on this part of the forum.

Oh well, guess I'll pick 2-3 links at random, then you can critique why it is I'm not getting a large deal of comment. Of course, as you said, it may be because I'm not largely noticed in the community, but I believe I give a good part of my time on Hubpages to Hopping and Answers.

3. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

Like you, I get very few comments.  And like Cagsil says, nearly all of my views are organic (out of 1600+ today, just 15 are from HP) - organic viewers seldom comment.  Although a few do and it is nice to hear that a hub helped someone pass a test or fix their home when it does happen.

You can choose, of course, to write controversial hubs that hubbers may find interesting and comment on, but they don't earn well.

Well, that's not always true.  I have had controversial subjects be big earners at times.

Of course here and now with HPADS I don't know what earned what.l

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

True, at least with HPads.  My hub of the day produced a lot of hubber visits, along with a reasonable income.  Or at least income went up that day by the appropriate amount that traffic went up.  If that makes sense!

Otherwise, I've never had high earnings from hubber visits.  Every time HP traffic goes up (percentage wise), adsense goes down.

I'm speaking of Adsense and at my main site and pre-panda, so that's a whole pile of qualification..

Generally, I agree with you.  I'm just saying I have had single "controversy" pages that did $150 a month in Adsense all by themselves.

They aren't doing that anymore, BTW.

1. wilderness profile image94
            wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh absolutely, then!  That was kind of my point - controversial subjects can earn big, just not so much from hubbers because they don't click.

A good subject that brings readers that even might click can be a good way to go, although they are seldom evergreen.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)