Dealing With Trolls

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Inspirepub profile image73
    Inspirepubposted 16 years ago

A couple of threads have been inflamed recently by people who have joined Hubpages, posted no Hubs, and simply weighed into pre-existing discussions with somewhat inappropriate or confrontational material. This type of behavior - coming into a community, not to participate but to fight, is classical "troll".

I wonder whether it would work if we all chose to completely ignore argumentative posts from people who have no published Hubs?

Obviously "please help me I can't get my Hub to save" and "hello, glad to be here" posts aren't argumentative, so new people can still interact positively as normal.

But if we deprive the trolls of the attention and drama they crave, hopefully they will get bored and go away.

What do you think? Viable?

Jenny

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Sorry, Jenny, I think it's idealistic.

You never get *everybody* to agree, no matter how hard you try...

I personally am going to scale back on my involvement with such threads, cause I feel I waste my time on these guys and gals...

3. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 16 years ago

It's more efficient to just report the really bad spam and troll posts, and not reply to them, because then HubPages admin can delete the really bad stuff, instead of all these threads where the original message is gone and all that's left is a strange dislocated message griping about the missing post.

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
      pauldeedsposted 16 years agoin reply to this

This is an excellent point.  We generally take action on reported posts within an hour or two (except in the overnight hours California time).   So unless you think the offender is just a newbie that has some hope of redemption, please just report the post and don't bother replying.

4. profile image0
    Hovalisposted 16 years ago

Don't feed the Trolls is the classic refrain. It sounds great in theory, but in practise it usually doesn't work all that well. Especially if the trolls are clever about it. You know, just standing on the edge of what is acceptable hoping someone will take up the bait. There are also those well-intentioned people who join up because something has ticked them off, and are weighing into a debate without knowing the people involved. It's that bull in a china shop mentality.

All I think hubbers can do is use their common sense, and not weigh in. That does take restraint, though.

1. Peter M. Lopez profile image69
      Peter M. Lopezposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Indeed.  Treat them like strays, and hope they move on. 

Don't they know that family infighting is supposed to stay within the family?

5. profile image0
    terrygposted 16 years ago

Its just like watching t.v. turn the channel.

Why would you bother answering such a post. There's plenty of other well worthwhile topics in the forum.

6. Betty Jo Petty profile image60
    Betty Jo Pettyposted 16 years ago

I'm not familiar with a lot that goes on in threads, although I did see a little on the site with an H.com

I was really shocked that people actually come into a site just to ignite. (flame?)

Like treating a temper tantrum in my little grandsons;  ignore or laugh at it!

Ignore would be best here.

Thanks for helping.  bjp

7. ohohdon profile image60
    ohohdonposted 16 years ago

The trolls are everywhere - online and offline.  They come in to get a reaction.  If you give them that reaction, it feeds them and the continue.  They're like cockroaches, hanging out wherever there is food.  Cut off their nourishment and they will go away.  Or maybe, somewhere along the way, they'll get stepped on.

8. spuds profile image58
    spudsposted 16 years ago

Trolls are a pain in the neck. Just ignore them. They will eventually move on.

9. VioletSun profile image80
    VioletSunposted 16 years ago

I like Terryg's suggestion to just turn the channel. What we feed expands. I have posted for decades online,  and have seen my fair share of trolls and also the occasional long time members in  various online communities be less than kind to new members, so its not always a new member causing problems.  Its interesting at times to watch different personalities interacting in an online community.

10. Kenny Wordsmith profile image72
    Kenny Wordsmithposted 16 years ago

It's like real life. Deal with them how we would in real life. I have started to think of hubpages as a village where I live or something like that. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)