Payouts...Urgent matter!

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (20 posts)
  1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years ago

I was not sure what particular forum to post this question... so here goes:

Is Hub Pages looking into, or planning to look into  (soon!) an alternate payment option?

In today's news (12-11-11) it is reported that PayPal is in deep doo-doo!

We need more options--a lot of people are reportedly now closing their PP accounts, so as not to lose their money.

1. PaulaHenry1 profile image65
      PaulaHenry1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Do you have a link? I'm curious to read it!

2. Glenn Stok profile image97
      Glenn Stokposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Please reference your source rather than just making general comments. I use PayPal in my business and they are a very legitimate and honest company. They have protected me from crooks a couple of times already with their "Seller Protection Policy." 

For example, if a buyer disputes the charge and complains that their credit card was stolen, I have proof that they signed for my merchandise at the same address the credit card bill goes to. PayPal confirms the delivery information and saved me twice with that already. They refused the complaint and I kept my money. What more can you ask for when you are on the receiving end of the money?

I know some people complain about PayPal, but anyone who follows the strict guidelines never have any trouble. Did you know that eBay owns PayPal?

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

MsLizzy, as long as I've been on the internet, there have been people saying how dreadful Paypal is.

Paypal, like eBay, is fine when everything is going smoothly. They're an absolute pain when something goes wrong - which (one hopes) is not that often.  I've never found an acceptable alternative for any of my current uses, so I just try to use Paypal as sensibly as possible.  For instance, I never leave a large balance sitting in Paypal - I transfer it out regularly.

1. melbel profile image93
        melbelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Same. And it's not because I don't trust Paypal.. it's just.. a certain je ne sais quoi about having that money in my bank account.

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

I agree that we need alternatives.

But I read paypal news across the last week and see nothing other than their usual shenanigans.  Nothing suggesting they will be closing.

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years ago

Unfortunately, I don't have a link.  My husband told me about the article he read, and he is notorious for not paying attention to URL's.  sad  Odd habit for someone with a degree in computer science, eh?

All I can find on the matter is that it reversed a bunch of donations to a charitable fund raiser, claiming some off-the-wall rule about who can post for "donations." .. it was an obscure rule, unclear,  and mean-spirited on top of it.

There have been other bits lately about the E-Bay takeover of PayPal, and how they are both in a bit of legal hot water for various (again, obscure) reasons.

According to what my husband said after his reading, there are many people closing their PP accounts--taking their money and running--as it were.

That's all.  And since they are (or seem to be) "up to" any kind of shenannigans that can be referred to as "usual,"  I just thought it might be a good idea to have another option availble. ...

1. Cardisa profile image89
      Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They could offer direct bank transfer. It might take a few days but it's an option. I really am not too keen on using online payments systems.

2. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That was Regretsy:

http://www.regretsy.com/2011/12/09/two- … c-updates/

The woman who owns Regretsy did a charitable thingy where she collected money from contributors via a PayPal Donate button, only for PayPal to freeze her account and insist that she refunded everyone because she was a corporation and you can't have a Donate button if you're a corporation. Then after the ensuing outcry, PayPal reversed its position. Apparently PayPal's rules on the subject are waffly and ambiguous, and therefore open to interpretation. Or maybe someone with a braincell at PayPal realised that preventing needy children from having Christmas presents was a really lousy PR move.

I thought eBay has owned PayPal for ages?

Absolutely agree with you. There are loads of people who either can't use PayPal at all, or who get their accounts frozen for no reason.

3. Glenn Stok profile image97

eBay purchased PayPal in 2002.

4. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

The screwed over Regretsy's Christmas charity for kids.  But it got sorted out eventually.

That in no way threatens their financial viability.

Like most people I don't leave a large balance in paypal, they can act a little arbitrarily.

5. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

There are plenty of payment processors that HP could choose from...no worries there

6. profile image0
    SirDentposted 12 years ago

Is this what you are talking about?

Click Me

7. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 12 years ago

So, how does a problem that PayPal had with a single client/user indicate that they are in "deep doo-doo" or in any way not a viable payment option? 

And how does starting a Chicken Little-style panic here help this situation?

8. profile image0
    SirDentposted 12 years ago

Do not push!!!!!!!!

http://ecosportsmen.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/usb_panic_1.png

9. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 12 years ago

I'm unhappy about that whole Regretsy thing, but it's not really a reason to not trust PayPal. I've been using it for years and any problems were really related to eBay buyers who "didn't receive items" even though I'd had proof that they'd signed for it. I win out almost all the time. It's a pain, but it happens and it's not really PayPal's fault.. they want to protect both the buyer and the seller so they usually freeze the funds until they do their investigation.

Although, I've been really effed over by online writing deals where buyers pay independently (ie. paypal vs escrow.) I'd write something and then send it off and they publish it and then refund the money. PayPal wouldn't protect me there, but I found a way to get the thieves back. I would post EVERY article I wrote in blogger in draft and publish it ONLY if they lie about it never being given to them and get a full refund. Then, I would send a DMCA to them and have proof from Google that the content was "in-draft" before that person had it live on the Internet.

My logic: It's mine until they pay for it. Ironically, one such article actually earned me a nice bit in AdSense. But that aside....

With that whole Regretsy thing, from what I understand all the money was returned to the donors, right? So, if this were to happen with HubPages --- payouts sent back to HubPages, I'm sure HP would sort it out for the users. I don't really see it being a problem, though. Overall, PayPal has been good to me. The only time I've had to worry is when someone tries to rip me off.

As for regretsy.. those things happen. They just do. But PayPal rectified it and I'm sure they regret it.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97

Yes they do freeze the funds while they are investigating. But then they release it. I see your point thought about selling written work. That's different. I sell hardware that ships and is signed for. So PayPal has a record of the receipt information. I agree that it's not so easy for written work if you email it to them. But what if you snail mail a disc? Then PayPal protects you.

2. Millionaire Tips profile image91
      Millionaire Tipsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's a great idea about publishing in draft melbel.  I hadn't thought about this problem; luckily I haven't encountered it. But it is a great insurance.

3. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Huh. Must read thread all the way through before posting.

10. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

+1

I hope we get ACH or Payoneer, atleast for international hubbers.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)