Is there an option to PayPal regarding HubPages payouts?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)
  1. UnnamedHarald profile image93
    UnnamedHaraldposted 9 years ago

Is there an option to PayPal regarding HubPages payouts?

I'm pretty sure PayPal is the only option, but I am seriously thinking of closing my PayPal account because they will soon (July 1) require the ability to call, robocall and give any phone numbers associated with the account to third parties who can do the same. This would override any DONOTCALL registrations and PayPal will not provide an opt out.

I am seriously considering closing my PayPal account and HubPages is the only place I need one, so that means I have to really think hard about continuing at HubPages, which is unfortunate since I'd sooner do without air to breathe.

2. tillsontitan profile image81
    tillsontitanposted 9 years ago

I hadn't heard about this but I am truly shocked.  Why would a company as large and trustworthy as PayPal do such a thing to all its loyal customers?  Obviously you're not the only one disgusted by this.  It will be interesting to see what happens AND to see if there is any alternative for HP.  I can't even imagine leaving HP!!!

3. Au fait profile image84
    Au faitposted 9 years ago

PayPal and eBay are separating and I read the same report you seem to have read about how PayPal will conduct business in the future.

I'm not happy about it either, but I think they know they have most of us by the short hairs.  Truth is, the No Call list was pretty much a sham from the start.  There were so many exceptions it was hardly worth the bother.

While it isn't much, unless they're selling air and/or water and they're the only place I can get those things, I'll have a list of people/companies who dared to call me and they will NEVER get a penny of my business for anything.

I think it's worth waiting to see exactly what will happen when PayPal separates officially from eBay and whether all the things suggested actually happen.

A dear friend told me a joke a couple of days ago.  You may have heard it: 
    I was flying from San Francisco to Los Angeles. By the time we took off, there had been a 45-minute delay and everybody on board was ticked. Unexpectedly, we stopped in Sacramento on the way. The flight attendant explained that there would be another 45-minute delay, and if we wanted to get off the aircraft, we would reboard in 30 minutes.

Everybody got off the plane except one gentleman who was blind. I could tell he had flown this very flight before because the pilot called him by name, saying, "Keith, we're in Sacramento for almost an hour. Would you like to get off and stretch your legs?" Keith replied, "No thanks, but maybe my dog would like to stretch his legs."

Picture this . . .

All the people in the gate area came to a completely quiet standstill when they looked up and saw the pilot walk off the plane with the Seeing Eye dog! The pilot was even wearing sunglasses. People scattered. They not only tried to change planes, they also were trying to change airlines!

From what I can tell, most people like to live their lives by assumption, and I know that 99% of assumptions are usually wrong just like the people in the joke above overreacted without any thought, no questions asked. 

It is Forbes for one, that is reporting all the dire changes that are about to come from PayPal, and they are usually credible, but I figure I can always close my account if bad comes to worse.  What's the rush?

I'm inclined to wait and see if all the dire predictions for PayPal will come to pass.  If they do, I can always close my account then.  Why not wait until you know for sure what you're dealing with?

UnnamedHaraldposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree there's no need to panic, but we should be aware. The problem I see is that, if PayPal does share your phone number with third parties and they do prove a nuisance, it's too late to do anything about it.

2. Au fait profile image84
      Au faitposted 9 years agoin reply to this

At least wait until you've read the small print, that's if a new contract for our old PayPal accounts becomes required.  Or find out from someone you know who has already signed exactly what they've got.  Act in haste, regret at your leisure. smile

4. LillyGrillzit profile image76
    LillyGrillzitposted 9 years ago

I am not sure about other countries policies, but in the US some states have policies in place regarding do not call, and they will sue the heck out of those who do not abide.

Hope this helps.

5. UnnamedHarald profile image93
    UnnamedHaraldposted 9 years ago

In response to Au fait's very sensible advice, I have found the actual verbiage that will go into effect July 1:

"1.10 Calls to You; Mobile Telephone Numbers. You consent to receive autodialed or prerecorded calls and text messages from PayPal at any telephone number that you have provided us or that we have otherwise obtained.  We may place such calls or texts to (i) notify you regarding your account; (ii) troubleshoot problems with your account (iii) resolve a dispute; (iv) collect a debt; (v) poll your opinions through surveys or questionnaires, (vii) contact you with offers and promotions; or (viii) as otherwise necessary to service your account or enforce this User Agreement, our policies, applicable law, or any other agreement we may have with you. The ways in which you provide us a telephone number include, but are not limited to, providing a telephone number at Account opening, adding a telephone number to your Account at a later time, providing it to one of our employees, or by contacting us from that phone number. If a telephone number provided to us is a mobile telephone number, you consent to receive SMS or text messages at that number. We won’t share your phone number with third parties for their purposes without your consent, but may share your phone numbers with our Affiliates or with our service providers, such as billing or collections companies, who we have contracted with to assist us in pursuing our rights or performing our obligations under this User Agreement, our policies, applicable law, or any other agreement we may have with you. You agree these service providers may also contact you using autodialed or prerecorded calls and text messages, as authorized by us to carry out the purposes we have identified above, and not for their own purposes. Standard telephone minute and text charges may apply if we contact you."

As you see, they WILL ask permission before giving your numbers (regardless how they get your numbers) to third parties. Your permission is not required for PayPal and their affiliates.

So, thanks to Au fait for spurring me to dig deeper.

I'd still like to know whether HubPages has/will have an alternate method of payment, though I'm not holding my breath.

1. Au fait profile image84
      Au faitposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The word affiliate could just as well be partner, subsidiary, or branch.  Since they're separating from their only affiliate at this time, eBay, there aren't any more.  Mainly they want legal clearance to send collectors after a person if necessary.

6. Matthew Meyer profile image71
    Matthew Meyerposted 9 years ago

Paypal is the only supported payment method.
    http://hubpages.com/faq/#paypalalternative

Thanks for confirming, zebtron.

7. RonElFran profile image95
    RonElFranposted 9 years ago

According to BGR News (via Yahoo/tech) PayPal is getting massive blowback and is changing their policy:

"A PayPal spokesperson provided the following statement to BGR earlier today: 'Our policy is to honor customers’ requests to decline to receive auto-dialed or prerecorded calls.' ”

I also heard a news report a few days ago that the FTC is considering additional robocall rules that would effectively block what PayPal is trying to do.

Bottom line for me: I'll just wait and see how this all plays out. I really don't expect PayPal to get away with their attempted strong arm tactic.

I saw that too, Ron. We'll see, but it sounds like the great unwashed may sway them yet. Thanks for the info re the FTC, too.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Saw this a few days ago. "FCC tells Paypal to knock it off with the robocalls" http://boingboing.net/2015/06/13/fcc-te … -it-o.html

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)