How do you celebrate Christmas?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (23 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Dedmorozposted 12 years ago

I can't say I've heard of Christmas till I arrived in NZ 10 years ago. New Years Day was the big celebration and still is for me.

Having said that, today, every christmas we generally do the same routine - pull out the christmas tree, hide those presents and fire up the ovens!

How do you celebrate christmas, if you do?

Is there a special type of food/drink that you only have on this one special day?

Do you have a nice quiet christmas with your family or yourself, or are you more of a party-goer?

Do you go anywhere special?

1. Dave Mathews profile image60
      Dave Mathewsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you really want my answer to this check out my hubs on the subject.

2. simonsez profile image61
      simonsezposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My Christmases used to be spent working on, practicing for, and performing musicals in our church.  We always put on a big musical with over 100 in the cast, and close to 50 in the orchestra.  At first I helped with the makeup, costumes and props -- fun and interesting being the back of the stage while everyone is out front.  Then I began playing the piano part for the orchestra. Just a little pressure....Performances were held 5 days with 2 on Saturday with over 1500 in attendance each time.  What fun!

2. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 12 years ago

I don't celebrate Christmas, as such, but it is nice to be off work,  and with family..... The telly keeps me company especially if it is cold outside.

1. recommend1 profile image60
      recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would like to celebrate with Joy and happiness - so if you just collect up happiness and pop over here we will have one day off work for it as it is a sunday big_smile    How are you keeping ??

3. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 12 years ago

well hello there.  I would love to spend a day with a Panda.....

I am doing o.k. thanks. I have a feeling 2012 is going to be my year.  I have lots of bad health, you dont even want to know about it.... ha ha but i will tell you anyway, maybe not it will wast time.

I decided after not getting work, i would volunteer.  In half an hour, i am going in to a local school, and teaching a group of mums to knit.  English is not their first language, so they have difficulty reading patterns.  I am overwhelmed with the results ..... They are achieving so much.  The school want them to mix, as it will help relationships with teachers, and ultimately help the kids.  It has been a great experience for me.

I have taken after school classes in other schools, non voluntary if you don't mind.  I also help out in a nursing home craft wise, and it has helped me get back on my feet................   and you??????

And i almost forgot to tell, i got a fetac level 3 certificate in computers, I have hub pages to thank for that, i have learnt so much on here.
    http://s3.hubimg.com/u/3211890_f248.jpg

just thought you might like to see my kids.  My oldest son is teaching, emotionally challenged kids World History in Florida.....  My daughter is a special needs teacher.  Lee my middle son, has a wonderful family and little business of his own.  I am so blessed.

1. recommend1 profile image60
      recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is what Christmas is about smile

I am doing ok - but busy !  Hope your 'illnesses' dissapear with the new year.

1. Joy56 profile image67
        Joy56posted 12 years agoin reply to this

nice to be busy.... my illnesses are minimizing as i speak.

4. lizzieBoo profile image59
    lizzieBooposted 12 years ago

We do the full, Catholic, twelve days of Christmas finishing on the Epiphany (three kings arrival). Much feasting, music and laughter around the fire fills the dark and cold winter days.

5. mel22 profile image61
    mel22posted 12 years ago

I spend X-mas in <redacted>, <redacted>...

but then someone told me that,<re-dacted> was the place I oughta beeeee!...

...so I loaded up the truck, and moved to <reeeeedaaaaaaaacted>!

6. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 12 years ago

Very quietly with my cat and she doesn't understand it so it's very much a normal day!

7. Gordon Hamilton profile image92
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years ago

It is only this post that has caused me to think of how many different styles of Christmas celebrations I have enjoyed (or otherwise) throughout my life.

As a child, the focus was of course on Santa Claus visiting but Christmas as I grew slightly older would be brought in by attending the Watchnight Service at church. This is the name for the Church of Scotland's Christmas Eve service. It would consist of the minister celebrating the teachings and the joys of Christmas and a number of Christmas carols being sung. Hot drinks and mince pies would be served in the church hall afterwards. Christmas morning would be about exchanging presents and Christmas dinner would be served after the Queen's speech at 3pm.

As my family fragmented for the usual number of different reasons I used to spend Christmas Day in the pub until I fell in love (with an atheist) and the commercial side of Christmas was all that she would celebrate. That was a further new experience.

These past few years, I make sure I have plenty work to keep me going through the whole period and ensure only that my dog gets something special for his dinner. I prefer it that way at this stage of my life.

No doubt, times will change again - wonder what I'm in for next...??? wink

Great post. Merry Christmas to one and all.

1. simonsez profile image61

Thank you for your reply Gordon - I do hope you have a Merry Christmas and find something very special to celebrate!

8. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 12 years ago

good that the cats and dogs play an important part in holiday season......

How are the dogs and cats in your life important to your holidays?

1. Joy56 profile image67
        Joy56posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have no dogs and cats at the moment actually, lots of hubbers where mentioning there pets.......

9. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 12 years ago

what is everyone else up to

10. profile image0
    icountthetimesposted 12 years ago

We celebrate with family and trends. Our tree is up already and I have just about bought all of the presents too, so there's no stress in that department.

11. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

I will cook a special dinner for the family and keeping busy so as not to think too deeply about other past Christmas times, that have sad memories attached to them. Boxing day (here that is the day after Christmas day) I will go for a long walk and take photos of the sea or countryside.

Keep looking ahead 2uesday... Thanks for your reply, and hope you have a great Christmas to remember this year!

1. 2uesday profile image65
        2uesdayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you I will, although it is difficult to remember those who are no longer with us, keeping busy and making the day good helps.

12. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 12 years ago

last year was sad for me too.  I was looking after my dad, and he died in the new year.  I am hoping i can but all sad, and bad things to bed now, and have a brilliant 2012

13. rob_allen profile image70
    rob_allenposted 12 years ago

I dont celebrate christmas anymore. I think xmas here in the Philippines is more like a kid-friendly holiday. I guess i will just spend time with my family and friends, have hearty meal together.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)