How can we make a link open in a new window

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Chuck Bluestein profile image61
    Chuck Bluesteinposted 12 years ago

I like to make links so they open in a new window. That way if they go to that link and then click on another link and another link and another one they will not lose the article. Can it be done and how do you do it? I know html.

1. Rising Caren profile image78
      Rising Carenposted 12 years ago

Can't change the settings.

2. GA Anderson profile image88
      GA Andersonposted 12 years ago

Chuck - you can do that it you know a little html
      I have to leave off the <  and > here or the comment edit will think it is a link - so just imagine they are there

go to the text capsule with the link you want to change

click edit

on the edit tool bar - on the far left, your will see HTML

click on that and your edit box will change to the html code for what's in the box

look for the <a href=" etc.etc. that is for the text link you created

just before the  right > at the end of the link code, type target="_blank"

you need the quotes before and after the word _blank

now save your edit and your link will open in a new window

but.... a side note

the browser back button is the most used button on the keyboard - people know how to use it to get back to where they started

opening a new window requires more computer actions and resources - so it will be slower than if the link opened in the current window

studies have indicated - people don't want links to automatically open in new windows if they do, they have browser option settings they can set to do it

the old concern of not wanting to lose your page placement on their screen - so you make them use new windows - is, well... old thinking

anyway, just my thoughts, I used to do new windows too - but no longer

GA

1. lobobrandon profile image89
        lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What Anderson said is right - I do it on my hubs as that way you don't lose your visitors

2. Chuck Bluestein profile image61
        Chuck Bluesteinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh I did not know that there is a button for HTML. Are you sure that every single person in the world does not want it to open in a new window or is it like 70%? I cannot understand this thinking unless someone has a weak computer that cannot handle many windows.

For example let's say that all of my webpages are in the same window. I go to site 1 then site to site 2 then to site 3 then to site 4 then to site 5 then to site 6.

Now I want to go to site 1, So I have to go through 5, then 4 then 3 then 2 to get back site 1. Also let's say that I am on a certain spot down the page. If I open a new window then I do not lose my place on that page. I would prefer to go from site 6 to site 1 in one move.

Also if someone is on another site from my hubpage and they close that window then they lose my hubpage. But if my hubpage is in a seperate window then they can only lose my hubpage by closing the window of my hubpage.

Facebook keeps you in the same window. But many times the back button will not work in Facebook and you cannot get back. So I use the right click, open in a new page and then I do not have to use the back button. With Twitter whenever you click on another site, it opens in a new widow.

Facebook only lets you have 5,000 friends. I have 30,000 followers on Twitter. On Facebook you can have a fan page but then you are the important person and they are nobody. They follow you but you do not follow them.

So I use a href instead of <a href?

As far as slower and more computer actions, I guess it depends on the computer. I have Windows 7, 64 bit, dual core. But most are on either windows XP or an older version than that last time I checked.

Everyone will want it to open in a new window atleast most people. I always make it open in a new window.
            That way you don't lose page views otherwise you'll lose out on page views and earnings as they need to be on your page for a certain time to be called an impression

3. Chuck Bluestein profile image61

I tried to put in a rel="nofollow" here and it would not accept it.

3. GA Anderson profile image88

@Chuck - no I do not know that "all" people prefer not to open in a new window.

Nor do I know what percentage prefer it.

Nor do I know the percentage of XP users vs. the faster Windows 7 - but my gut says the XP-types are still the majority, also it is not just the computing power, but also internet connection type that will affect new page loading times.

as for having to hit the back button 5 or 6 times - just as you did not know of the HTML option on the text editor, did you also not know that a right-click on the back arrow will give a list of where to go back to? multiple back arrow clicks are unnecessary

Maybe I am simply misunderstanding your tone to be argumentative when it really isn't

I only offered an opinion - I used to think the same way - I did not want to lose page view time - so I opened everything in new windows. Then I did a little research and found that although Internet experts are still somewhat divided on this - the majority of people that know a lot more about this stuff than I do express it this way: Provide value to your user instead of serving your self-interest first. Makes sense to me, then and now. So I very seldom force new windows.

Consider this - what if that user does have a slower computer, and a slower internet connection - and opening new windows does take more time, and it does piss them off, as they wait. Whose interest have you just served? Do you ever go back to sites that irritate you?

As for the page-view time value you think you are getting by keeping them on your open page - that's a time-limited thing. Search engines know that people keep tabs open, or just leave their time on a page sitting while they do other things - so after a set time of inactivity, (I don't know the time), your page view time stops. Anyway. So the open window is no longer helping you.

as for this:
      So I use a href instead of <a href?" what do you mean? yes, you do need the caret in front, ie < a href=

Bottom line - what I gathered from more than just a little bit of looking into it was: The mindset of "capturing" your visitor. and trying to keep them "tied" to your page is a selfish one that is thinking of you first, then your visitor. Whereas, not just SEO experts, but the search engines themselves have stated that thinking of the visitor first will pay you a lot more dividends the thinking the other way around.

Bottom line, I only offered a bit of technical info, re: html, the rest was just an opinion, now, as then you are obviously free to do it whichever way you think serves you best.

GA

So i asked 2 neighbors about right clicking the back button. One is a normal user. The other does computter programming and his last job was as a computer consultant. Neither knew about it but the programmer was amazed to find that out.

4. GA Anderson profile image88

@lobobrandon - You sound pretty certain that ALL people will want new windows. Where did you find that fact?

Maybe my reply to Chuck might also address your assertions.

GA

Thanks for the information. Well I know that I like to open other sites in a new window. ►NO◄, I did not know that you could right clip on the back button. So I wonder how many know that. I will ask my neighbors. Yes you do want to take into account the people on older computers.

The kind of person that I am, if I do keep it in the same window, then maybe I will tell people that they can right click the back button. I do define difficult words for people. I never use the word svelte but I saw this raw foodist and felt that was the way to describe her so I put after it [slender].

I have a 800+ book on Windows 7 but everything that I do is on the internet. Now I am not sure what to do about new windows. I am leaning toward keeping it in the same window.

5. Rising Caren profile image78
      Rising Carenposted 12 years ago

Personally I don't like links that open in new windows. I'd rather open a link in a new tab.

Btw Caren & Anderson - They open in new tabs and not windows it's a misnomer that everyone types they open in new windows. Now you'll agree I guess. Go to any of my hubs and try it (tomato ones preferably fruit or vegetable one)

They do open a new window on the above site. I do not know the html to make something open in a new tab. Also Wikipedia is not as good as a dictionary to find what a word means (I use merriam-webster). For example is self-esteem good or bad. I checked Wikipedia and it did not answer this. A dictionary (words can have many different meanings) will tell you that self-esteem -1 is good and self-esteem-2 is bad.

Is sugar healthy or not? What is sugar? Sugar-1a is not healthy but sugar-1b is healthy. Vegetable has multiple meanings. Did you know that all grains are fruits. So grains are also fruits and vegetables according to recent articles on the internet. I am an ethnobotanical herbalist.

2. Chuck Bluestein profile image61

What is the advantage of one over the other?

6. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I always choose to open links in new tabs. A simple right click of any link gives us that option.
      Then again, I am computer savvy and most of the world is not.

HP used to give us that option set up links to 'open in new tab', but they took it away with some sort of explanation that falls more or less in line with what GA Anderson has posted.

There is a good reason for HP not offering it anymore.

Remember that their aim is to make money too.

7. GA Anderson profile image88

@Chuck - one of the great joys of life... learning something new everyday smile

GA

I have only been on the internet for 7 years and along the way I have learned new things that saved me a great deal of time and trouble.

See my reply above about the rel="nofollow" not being accepted. Any way around that? It was to Youtube not a Hubpages page.

1. GA Anderson profile image88
            GA Andersonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

@Chuck

I'm not sure about the rel attribute, it may have something to do with HP already having program code that controls the rel= function relative to hub links based on author's score

best answer will come from the HP team, you should contact them.

GA

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)