Voting a hub down

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (28 posts)
  1. profile image0
    gchicnotesposted 12 years ago

What's the basis or voting an article down? Would you vote a hub down because you didn't care for the topic?

1. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't. Nor would  I because I disagree with the opinion.

I vote down for really poor writing, but that's rare.  Extra short, yes, I will vote down.

1. Carolyn2008 profile image63
        Carolyn2008posted 12 years agoin reply to this

The same with me. Opinion writing is appropriate if done with taste. I will vote down an extra short hub, or one that is poorly written. I try to think a while before I vote on a hub that is only an advertisement. Voting a hub down should be taken very seriously.

2. Don Crowson profile image61
      Don Crowsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That would be a bad reason for voting a hub down.  If you do not czare for the topic, don't comment at all.  If you are well versed in the substance of the topic and discover substantive errors or if there are a lot of misspellings or grammar errors, vot it down.

But not caring for the topic IMO is not a good reason to vote it down.

3. brittanytodd profile image88
      brittanytoddposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No.  I only vote down hubs that are poorly written or have a bad layout, but are not so bad that I would flag them.  I vote down rants and stuff like that, but I don't do it very often.

2. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

I see no point whatsoever in voting down a hub. To vote down because it expresses a different opinion to yours is pathetic. For any other reason, it is far more effective to flag it, because in most cases this will result in the hub being deleted.

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This!

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

I think the point is to get a general reaction from the viewing public, not a technical review from hubbers.

4. profile image0

Thank you all for your feedback.  I'm 6 weeks new in the community and was curious. I agree with all your viewpoints on voting down.

5. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 12 years ago

I try not to vote down anything unless it is really poor content (but still fits the requirements).

~thranax~

6. chicagoguy profile image61
    chicagoguyposted 12 years ago

will not vote down ! if i am not aware of the topic !!

7. profile image0

I agree. Unless it is a blatant advertising or an abundance of grammatical errors.  I haven't seen too much of that here so far. I kinda like to think if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all. Feedback for improvement is cool though. I think we all want to get better. I write for fun so if someone's suggestions will make my hub better, I don't have an issue with that.

8. rLcasaLme profile image70
    rLcasaLmeposted 12 years ago

I voted down a hub today. The hub only has 5-7 sentences and it isn't even a poem. The hub suggests it to be instructive and informative. But with a 5 sentence hub, what would you learn from it? It's more like a lengthy tweet than a hub.

1. profile image0
      gchicnotesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes. That's doesn't seem like much. I thought stuff like that gets flagged by hubpages admins.

There are only a very few of them and many thousands of us.  They need our help to alert them to bad stuff.

1. profile image0

Gotcha!

9. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

I never vote down.  Not because I'm a 'good' person but it's part of that slightly pointless popularity thing.  If the hub is spun, dodgy, rubbish or whatever then I just flag it.

However I do vote up, occasionally.  They seem quite different actions.

Anyway, that reminds me.  Let's go see what's in the hopper. It was awful yesterday.

Uggh.  I couldn't take much of the hopper today.  I voted down the first three or four I saw and they depressed me so much that I couldn't go on - I was afraid that those awful things had prejudiced me so much that I couldn't be fair to anyone else.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yep, I know what you mean.  I get crosser and crosser and then just have to stop.

I can't imagine being on staff and having to do that for extended periods.  Man, that would make you want to kick the dog when you got home!

(For those who take things literally)

I don't have a dog.  If I had a dog, I would never kick it.  However, after a day of hub-hopping, I might snarl "What are YOU looking at?" upon entering the house.

Bad writing puts me in a bad mood.  I can only take so much of it.

1. missolive profile image59
              missoliveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your comment Pcunix made me decide to check out the hopper - the first hub was about ummmmm enlarging something LOL and I hopped right back out.

I decided to give it another try and found some goodies. Then I was bombarded with Resolutions and Weight Loss tips - ugh

PS - I'm sure you wouldn't kick the dog smile

1. profile image0

That's happened to me a few times.

2. profile image0

Hahahahahahaha!

2. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I spent hours yesterday going through the new hubs published and I don't think I have ever flagged so many in one go in my life!

What did shock me was the amount of plagiarised material getting published.

What has happened to the automatic filters, are they broken?

10. jakesully profile image58
    jakesullyposted 12 years ago

Vote it down because it's poor quality, not because you don't happen to like the subject matter.

11. profile image0

Yesterday I thought I saw some copying of one of my hubs. It had some of the same pics and talked about part of one of the items within one of my hubs. After further review it was ok. Perhaps people are bored why they are writing some substandard material. Who knows?

12. profile image0

Btw. Love your profile pic. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)