what is our origin? where we came from?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (64 posts)
  1. Elizabeth Espinos profile image60
    Elizabeth Espinosposted 12 years ago

I'm a little bit confused if what is really our origin if where we really came from.  In the bible we came from our great, great grand parents, ADAM and EVE.  In the book of EVOLUTION we came from APES.  Then there goes REINCARNATION, according to DR. IAN STEVENSON, in his book entitled " TWENTY CASES SUGGESTIVE OF REINCARTION in 1967.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

I would think that YOU came from your parents. lol

Elizabeth Espinosposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, precisely, I came from my parents, a product of love and affections, that's why I came out. :-)

3. rbe0 profile image60
    rbe0posted 12 years ago

Origins are different based on culture and ideas that are accepted as fact by any individual society.

Where do you think you came from?

rbe0, thanks for the reply, but I mean, in Genesis 1:1 there a scripture says: In the beginning God created heaven and earth ................ so on and so forth, then there goes a man, then ............, but then,I read different books that specify where a man came from.  I'm not asking the capability of Gods power but a little clarification of our characteristic as a human being.

1. rbe0 profile image60
        rbe0posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ok so obviously you believe you came from god. Am I right?

Yeah, precisely, and I believe God created me in his image and likeness, just asking and soliciting information regarding EVOLUTION AND REINCARNATION.

1. rbe0 profile image60

Darwin's theory of evolution is no longer widely accepted...

As for the reincarnation thing... It's going to also be a personal belief, same as belief in where your origins are...

Do you think you will be reincarnated?

1. Jesus was a hippy profile image61
              Jesus was a hippyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe not but the modern general theory of evolution is pretty much fact.....

4. Beautyfeather profile image60
    Beautyfeatherposted 12 years ago

where we came from is not so important,we shall share our time and experience with our friends,to make up our mind that where go for, that is what we can manage

5. Chuck Bluestein profile image61
    Chuck Bluesteinposted 12 years ago

The Old Testamount existed long before Jesus was born. It was the book of the Jews when there were no Christians. Jews do not take what is in the bible literally since it would mean that humans were only around for 15,000 years.

Evolution, reincarnation and God can exist together. God created evolution. Charles Darwin graduated from Christ's College, Cambridge. Man has a body but is an immortal soul. Socrates taught this hundreds of years before Jesus was born. Socrates was executed for his teachings.

The soul can move from one human body that dies into another one that is born. Before the Jews, Hindus belleived in reincarnation. If there was no soul then people would not be able to reincarnate. The bible taught about reincarnation like when they were asking Jesus what person that he was before.

But a Pope forbid this. A Pope made the holy day the holy day of the sun god, Sunday, the first day of the week instead of the last day of the week. The bible does not say when Jesus was born so they made His birthday the birthday of the sun god. They did this so many people who worshipped the sun god could become Christians and worship the Son of God along with the sun god.

If living beings evolve, then the bible story of god creating adam and eve is clearly false since that would mean we didnt evolve at all and were created as were already are. As for the soul, there is no evidence that such a thing exists.

Reincarnation and a the existance of a soul is kind of debunked the more we learn about how a brain works. It is a known fact that our actions and more importantly our personality is directly affected by our brain. Who we are is a product of our brain, not some soul that noone can see.

Well that last bits true as far as I know.

6. maxravi profile image45
    maxraviposted 12 years ago

To conclude..I think we all came from our parents. out parents are from their parents and so on...
    Its a recursion.Nobody know the first point wink

1. Chuck Bluestein profile image61
      Chuck Bluesteinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Kahlil Gibran says:

Your children are not your children.
      They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
      They come through you but not from you,
      And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
      For they have their own thoughts.
      You may house their bodies but not their souls,
      For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
      which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

2. Jesus was a hippy profile image61

I agree that nobody knows BUT all the evidence points towards single cell organisms being our earliest ancestors. As for where those came from, abiogenesis attempts to explain that one.

7. Chuck Bluestein profile image61
    Chuck Bluesteinposted 12 years ago

Also God does not have 2 legs and 2 arms. God has no size or shape or location in the physical world just like the soul has no size or shape. Again reincarnation would not be possible without an immortal soul.

8. olodarkwriter profile image59
    olodarkwriterposted 12 years ago

I came from St Vincent's hospital in Little Rock

1. AshtonFirefly profile image70
      AshtonFireflyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL

2. skyfire profile image80
      skyfireposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You Win this thread. +1

9. AshtonFirefly profile image70
    AshtonFireflyposted 12 years ago

Hmmm...but what good would it do us to know where we came from? Would it change us any?

1. Chuck Bluestein profile image61

It is not important to know where your body came from. You definitely know where your body is going. It is going back to where it came from, the dirt. But Socrates taught that we are an immortal soul and that is why he taught "Know thyself."

"Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return" (Genesis 3:19)

But how do we know we're immortal?

1. skyfire profile image80
          skyfireposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Simple. It is said in bible or some mystic book or religious book. Fetch a quote from such books and there's our proof. wink

lol. You are not a religious person, I take it... smile

2. Chuck Bluestein profile image61

Yoga is very popular now and even Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton does it. But the postures are only a small part of yoga. Yoga philosophy teaches that man incarnates time and time again and tries to find happiness in worldly pursuits like getting married and having kids.

But it does not work. It says that the very purpose of human life is to learn that we are an immortal soul that is eternal. Then you can have perfect peace and limitless love when you know the soul.

To do this is not something that you learn from a book. It is a matter of raising your consciousness higher and higher. If someone reads 200 books on Buddhism or Christianity does that make them just like Buddha or Jesus? No.

Now it is clear that Buddha learned this from meditation. Where did Jesus learn it from? The bible says that Jesus did no miracles or preaching until after he fasted for 40 days. Now since He is spending no time on food what was He doing? Was he surfing the internet? Was He watching TV? Was He playing video games? Now he did say that you pray in private place away from other people.

If you read about Catholic saints, you learn that they would meditate. A nun asked St Theresa how come she is so good at meditation. She said "what do you think that I am-- a saint?" She did not become a saint until after she died.

That doesn't prove we are immortal.... hmm

1. rbe0 profile image60

it doesn't disprove it either...

So far in my life I have been very immortal. Haven't you?

In fact, I can safely say that I have been 100% mortal this entire earth life.

Disproven? Who needs to do that?

2. AshtonFirefly profile image70

My point was that what he was saying was that his response had nothing to do with my question which was: "how do we know we're immortal?" I assumed his answer was to show me that what he had to say shows we are immortal.

10. TMMason profile image60
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

We came from Adam and Eve.

Adam was created by the Lord God Most High. And Eve was created from his side, or rib.

When one realizes that a woman COULD NOT have been the founder/origin of the Human race, then things do not seem as clear as evolutionists would have us believe their lies to be.

Lets face it... it comes down to "CHANCE" or "CREATION".

I see no way chance(evolution), could have brought us to this point. It is absurd to think it is so.

It is a completely fantastic fairy-tale, and to accept evolution as propouded today by the know it alls of science, is to surrender yourself to a faith based belief system which rivals any religion on earth.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's hilarious reading believers posts on evolution when they have no idea what evolution is all about. lol

And, that's not a fantastic fairy-tale. lol

1. TMMason profile image60
        TMMasonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am well aware of what evolution is. "CHANCE"

And I know that it is not the BS you all spew.

Thank you for proving my point. smile

1. TMMason profile image60

You are going to argue it is not chance?

yeah right.

I don't need to argue what is already well known that you are unaware.

1. Michele Travis profile image66
                Michele Travisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Then how did all of this start?
                how did something come from nothing?

Who said anything came from nothing?

2. A Troubled Man profile image59

An invisible magic being waved his magic hand and it all appeared out of thin space. Isn't that the story you believe?

3. Philanthropy2012 profile image82
                  Philanthropy2012posted 12 years agoin reply to this

For a start, Stephen Hawking smile

2. mischeviousme profile image60
                mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Look what is true for Mason is true for Mason. It doesn't mean we can all pick on him for not knowing anything about the world, outside of the bible. This is what is to be expected from years of religious indoctrination.

It's not really a matter of Mason not knowing anything about evolution, but the fact that he is dishonestly arguing that evolution is wrong and is bringing up the same old tired pointless and dishonest arguments believers spew that have nothing to do with evolution.

2. TMMason profile image60

You all are funny.

I was an atheist science freak for most of my life, raised a democrat...

You couldn't have beat me into believing.

Then I took a look without bias.

And scince fails miserably.

But like many others who left the atheist fold of science, I am no good for anything now in your opinion.

It is funny.

Like I said earlier, Vieth was world reknowned for your side and well loved. untill he questioned the ruling logic.

That is the BS you all try to pull on people.

So no biggie.

And watch out Eb, do not blaspheme and tell them their great faith, evolution, is not a fact.

they will burn you at the cross for that.

1. mischeviousme profile image60
                    mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They are observations and it is how reallity works, especially for the person that enjoys them. Religious or not.

What does science fail at, is it communicating via the internet? Is this another baseless assertion that you are not going to explain?

Also, why do you seem to link science and atheism together? Being scientific is not a requisite of atheism.

Atheism is simply the lack of belief in a god. Science is simply a means of testing things methodically.

What do you have against testing things methodically?

If science fails like you say, then does that mean you wont get on a plane?

3. A Troubled Man profile image59

That's odd, your posts would clearly show you know very little about science or atheism. But, I suspect that's just another false claim on your part like so many others you've made.

Strawman argument. lol

2. rbe0 profile image60

Why do you place your beleifs in Theory alone? Do you know what a theory is? A Scientific Theory??

A scientific theory is something that has been proposed due to surmounting evidence.

A theory is not something that has been proven to be true.

For example, read a bit about Chaos Theory...

Chaos theory is the theory that many theories will never be proven fact, because the "big picture" has not yet come into clear view.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_theory

What do you think about chaos theory? Do you place your faith in it?

lol

1. rbe0 profile image60

Do you do this often?

When I read a hilarious post, yes.

2. Michele Travis profile image66

Not yet.  I  do understand the chaos theory.  One small thing effects something else and that can effect something else.....
          But the question on up there ^ ( which I know cannot be answered)  is

Where is our origin? Where did we come from?  My answer is God created us because something cannot come from nothing.  I have written hubs about it.  Even Steven Hawkin cannot prove that it is incorrect.  The Big Bang thing he wrote about!

lol So, where did God get the materials to make our universe?

1. Michele Travis profile image66

God created them.  Ok, now you are going to have fun with me.  I have seen this. That is ok.  If you don't believe what I believe, we do not have to argue.
              Neither one of us is going to convince the other.  I hope you have a good day smile

But, where did he get it, from what materials did he create the universe.

Or, are you saying something came from nothing?

How can you convince anyone of anything when you can't even explain it yourself.

If something cannot come from nothing then surely it is more logical to think that the universe must be infinate?

If it wasnt created from nothing then it must have always been, right?

You cant say in one sentence that something cannot come from nothing and then say that god made something from nothing in the next.

11. Kim Cantrell profile image60
    Kim Cantrellposted 12 years ago

My parents say I came from another unidentified family because I am nothing like them.  Sometimes I wish they weren't just kidding. smile

Jokes aside -

My mother is a devout Christian and I admire her faith.  But I believe intelligent design and evolution go hand in hand.

*I* think there is a being (not a HE or a SHE, but an IT) that created the universe we are in.  It created man and woman.  In the beginning, man was very similar to an ape.  Over time, as things evolved, this ape-like creature became an upright, less hairy version of what we are today.  Evolution has taken place all through the existence of humanity to get where we are now.

As for the Bible, I do not take it literally.  There is proof it is not "complete," but compiled by members of the early church, many, many years after the books were written, and they chose the books they believe were acceptable.

They were MEN.  MORTAL men.  My mother says they were inspired by God, I say that many men making decisions are inspired by protecting their masculinity.

for me, I've decided that I believe in a being greater than myself and I call it God.  I do not believe everything in a book written by men, no more than I believe everything I see on tv.  I believe based on my experiences and witnessing and hearing about those of others.

I am not Protestant, Catholic, or Mormon, I'm just Kim Cantrell, a flawed,  30-something middle Tennessee gal who believes in evolution, watches NatGeo Ancient Aliens (and ponders the possibilities), hopes reincarnation allows us to explore another planet after our earthly death, and whose devout Pentecostal mother wants to disown her sometimes. smile

1. rbe0 profile image60

You might be interested in this.

Theosophy [from Greek theosophia, from theos, divine + sophia, wisdom; literally "divine wisdom"], refers to systems of speculation or investigation seeking direct knowledge of the mysteries of being and nature, with particular concern on the nature of Divinity. Theosophy also is considered a part of the broader phenomenon of esotericism, referring to hidden knowledge or wisdom that offers the individual enlightenment and salvation. The theosophist seeks to understand the mysteries of the universe and the bonds that unite the universe, man and the divine world. She aspires to link theogony-anthropogony with eschatology and from investigation of these domains to discover a coherent cosmogony. The theosophist inquires into the hieroglyphs of nature, using a method of interpretation founded upon a specific myth or revelation, to which he applies his active imagination in order to draw forth symbolic resonances.[1][2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theosophy

Since no religious texts state that god made apes who evolved into humans, are you starting a new religion?

3. A Troubled Man profile image59

Your belief is false. Intelligent design is creationism which has nothing to do with evolution.

It may be a good idea to first understand evolution before you believe in it. smile

4. Castlepaloma profile image75
      Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My origin were out of Africa, like everyone else.

Do not dwell into Adam's Family values

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)