If Iran develops a nuclear weapon, how should we react?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (30 posts)
  1. dadibobs profile image59
    dadibobsposted 12 years ago

If Iran was to succeed in developing a nuclear weapon, how should our own nations react?
    Would we strike at the construction facitily, and  possible storage sites?, or do we just use a nuclear weapon on them first?. Would more sanctions and embargo's actually do anything to prevent them from using their own weapon?

What are your thoughts on this question?

dadibobsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think the main reason why western countries don't want Iran to have nuclear weapons, is because they would be much more willing to use them than us.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image59
        Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How on earth have you come to this conclusion? Why do you believe that some leader in the Middle East would be more likely to push the button than some leader in the West? Ahh, is it because some Asian or Muslim man is somehow less civilised and perhaps slightly mad??

1. LewSethics profile image60
          LewSethicsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, I think we all realize that a specific muslim man is less civilized and slightly mad.

2. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

How come you get them and they don't?

+1. But questions like that fall on deaf ears, when you talk to Hypocrites..

3. knolyourself profile image59

So they can't have them because they are bad guys. Ever hear of the British empire? Leon Panetta just admitted Iran is not trying to make any nukes. It is all about Israel, oil, gas, and only being able to buy oil with dollars world wide. Iran now will not sell oil for dollars and the most unforgivable sin, they have their own oil trading borse. Definite no-no.

4. dadibobs profile image59

Lol to the British Empire comment, a whole different subject smile, I never said they were bad guys, just more willing to use nuclear weapons.

Link?? Serious study that concludes a Middle Eastern (Iranian) leader would contemplate nuclear war before a Western leader would?

5. profile image0
    Muldaniaposted 12 years ago

Inventing nuclear weapons was like opening Pandora's box.  But once it was opened it could never be closed again.  Unfortunately nuclear weapons exist, and it was never going to be possible to limit them to a select few countries.  Iran might object to the United States having nuclear weapons, and as the US is the only country in the world ever to actually use nuclear weapons in time of war, it could be argued that it is the US which is more likely to use them again.  And who is to say which countries are allowed them?  Is it the job of the US to police the rest of the world forever?  Having said that, it is obviously worrying if new countries gain these doomsday weapons.

I was once, and in theory, still am, against nuclear weapons. Now however, I have come to understand that they are the greatest deterrent against threats from imperialist nations.

6. profile image57
    WhoBeYouBeposted 12 years ago

Iran's facilities will be ash and powder before they gain that weapon.

I would make glass thier #1 export.

1. Moderndayslave profile image59
      Moderndayslaveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And pollute the rest of the planet ? Never mind Russia and China,ever hear of them?

1. profile image57
        WhoBeYouBeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They would whine and cry, throw a hissy fit, and then move on.

I do not fear China or Russia.

7. knolyourself profile image59
  8. dadibobs profile image59

The conclusion is derived from the use of suicide bombers, for example. Any country willing to sacrifice it's own children, would not give yours or mine a second thought.

9. knolyourself profile image59

The difference between suicide bombers and drones being?

10. dadibobs profile image59

Drones are not strapped to eight year old children.

No, but they kill and mutilate eight year old children.

11. profile image0
    The Writers Dogposted 12 years ago

You all seem to be forgetting that only one country has ever used a nuclear weapon against another - the USA.

Edit... other than Muldania

I haven't forgotten that.

12. dadibobs profile image59

If a drone was to kill an eight year old child, it is by accident, or operator error. For an eight year old child to be used as a weapon, this means the parents woke them up that morning, gave them breakfast, packed and strapped on their bags and then sent them off to an explosive death.

The point i was trying to make was this,

if Iran can use it's own children as suicide bombers, would they consider our children if/when planning a nuclear attack on the US/?UK

If it's by accident, then that's ok, right? The US and the UK do not consider our children, they pack them off to war, and salute the coffin when it returns home. For what? Because our leaders care about the lives of others in the middle east, or whichever oil rich, natural resource wealthy country they can exploit on behalf of the Rothchilds, JP Morgan Chase, Goldman Sachs? If you really, really, believe that our nations go to war for any other reason, or really, really, believe that the Iranians (because of race? religion? what? are more willing to go to war than our leaders, than you have some serious growing up to do. That would make you naive in the extreme.

13. HistoryProdigy profile image65
    HistoryProdigyposted 12 years ago

If I was the President of the United States I would not do anything. Here is why. The speed at which technology is moving today allows even third world countries to create nuclear weapons. I hate to say this because it will make every one of my paranoid countrymen shake in their boots, but eventually every country, big and small, will have nuclear weapons. We cannot just go around the world invading country after country taking over their nuclear programs. People may argue against me and say that a nuclear attack on the United States would be devestating. Yes, I agree, it would be devestating; however, if the United States continues this interventionalist policy then the United States will fall apart much sooner then it would at the hands of nuclear warfare.

dadibobsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Interesting points historyprodigy, but would the act of non intervention rely on the M.A.D (mutually assured destruction) principle?

What happens when the other country in question is willing to die en masse for their beliefs?

1. HistoryProdigy profile image65
        HistoryProdigyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is a good question, but there is no country on earth, at the moment or in all of history, that would be willing to sacrifice its entire existence in order to kill a handful of people in another country.

1. profile image0
          Muldaniaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The problem is that people see the actions of a few Islamic extremists, and convince themselves that the whole Muslim world is ready to blow the world up in the name of Allah.  However, people are terrified of the same things, no matter what their religion.  The fact that the US is the most Christian country in the Western world does not make its people more likely to launch a war, in which no one would survive.  Nuclear bombs can't distinguish between a Muslim country and a Christian one.

2. Hollie Thomas profile image59

+1

3. dungeonraider profile image86
      dungeonraiderposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Could you imagine the devastation caused by a tactical nuclear war in the Middle East?  I'm assuming the United Nations can.

14. dadibobs profile image59

I think the question has raised some interesting points, and maybe our judgements and assumptions are clouded by our own media coverage.

thank you everyone for participating smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)