You

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (46 posts)
  1. mischeviousme profile image61
    mischeviousmeposted 12 years ago

What do you percieve when you look at yourself? How do you get an answer when you ask yourself a question? Is it you asking questions or is it your brain? Is your brain your mind? Is your mind everywhere or in your head?

1. profile image0
      Muldaniaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would until recently have described the brain and mind as being one and the same.  However, I have discovered, much to my surprise, that many scientists, including neuroscientists do not believe this is the case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=952V6h7UKe8

2. profile image75
      soumyasrajanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Interesting question.  One has to first decide what is "yourself" is it brain mind or whole of you or some thing different.  Let me answer what an Indian school of philosophy Adviata Vedanta school analysis says.

Self is an observer of each event. Both brain and mind can be observed. Even though one can not observe mind itself but one can observe  changes in its modes. Like happiness, sadness etc. a different states of mind and those changes can be observed. Observer and observant can not be the same. So self has to be different from both mind and brain.

For example when we sleep- during deep sleep (with no dreams or also called memory-less sleep)    both mind and brain are practically not working. But our self continues to be quite shining even that time. When we wake up every thing in which our sense organs brain or mind generally  take part  may change from the time we went to sleep (like if we  board a plane in NY and go into deep  sleep while still in NY and  we may wake up in say London- whole atmosphere around us may change),  but we wake up and start acting just as we are continuing from the time we went into deep sleep.  Our self which is aware all this time of our existence, continues the action. That is one example this school takes to understand self (our consciousness, our basic existence) as different from both mind and brain etc.

mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It was meant to be a hard question to answer, but it requires thinking simply.

1. profile image75

Yes indeed. An important question. It leads directly to questions like  what exactly self is.  What are your views on these?

The brain tells us what we are supposed to be seeing. The mind is blind to reality because of the brain, which is it's fuction. It is a matter of over riding said function and programming the brain to suit the needs of the mind.

1. profile image75

Several questions?
              If one assumes existence of mind then generally one assumes that it is the mind which directs sense organs etc, including brain. So the brain deceiving mind looks a bit strange? Brian is essentially a physical organ it does activity what ever it is asked to do by initiation from mind, that is the general feeling. If one assumes only  mind and not self then generally consciousness is assumed to part of mind or at least intermingled with it.

If one assumes mind and also self (consciousness) separate from  mind still one generally assumes even in that set up that self operates via mind.

In either case  brain trying to deceive mind does it seem reasonable (of course if one assumes brain operates only under the instruction of mind)?

Perhaps you are not assuming that?

In that case still how does this explanation you offer   explains  you asked initially.How do you get an answer when you ask yourself a question? Is it you asking questions or is it your brain? Is your brain your mind? Is your mind everywhere or in your head?

what do you feel are answers to these questions? Can you please elaborate a little more?

It was a set of question meant to confound. Keep thinking about it for a while and when you can understand what the questions mean, you'll have your answer. The answer is yours though. You can feel free to share it, or keep it to yourself. But truly, it's not a question I can answer for you.

1. profile image75

Ok! Now I understand what you are trying. I agree a lot of these things are difficult to convey also. Even after all the talk each person develops his own understanding.

Way I see is, you are ready to share a little of your understanding but only if it is more like a dialogue where we try to understand by sharing. I also like that.

I have tried to understand  these aspects but perhaps no big experience as you may have had (impressions I get from your style). But let me talk a little what I feel.

Two  aspects which I feel important in trying to understand this phenomena are  - it does not matter so much as is it brain or mind or self which  is the ruler what one can see is that by and large we have very little control over what can be the next thought which may occur to one.  This thought occurring continues every moment in an uncontrolled manner.

Where do these thoughts occur or how or how we can control it we can understand only  if we can get away at least a little (I am not so sure about  a little, may be much more) from this process of uncontrolled thoughts occurring.

In a natural state it seems to be only when we are in deep sleep.  Only in deep sleep we have our existence while this uncontrolled thought occurring process  seems to stop.

I do not know how artificially one can stop that- people advise mediation is the way. are there other ways too?

What looks clear is to feel confident that we can understand properly and  make sure our conclusion about answers to these question  is not a deception one has to come out of this state a little which makes us continuously in flow of this uncontrolled thought?

Is there some other way (without getting away from this uncontrolled state) - what do you feel?

That was one reason, I was referring to try to see how continuation of getting in this uncontrolled thought process  when we wake up from deep sleep occurs. That perhaps can be studied a little.

It's near impossible to quiet the brain, it's always analysing it's experiences. We basically only experience what our brains want us to. The mind, not realy being aware of it's self, recieves imformation only after the ego (another facet of the brain) has had it for a while. I would go so far as to say that people rarely use their minds anymore. In todays society, everything one does and see's is the product of what they want us to see and it only realy keeps us from seeing ourselve's.

This world that has been so maipulated and changed by media and ego, that we don't have time to shut the brain off long enough to realy see things as they are. I can buy all sorts of things and do all sorts of things. How do I know I'm even thinking with my own brain when I'm doing these things?

If one can shut the brain off for just a moment, everything becomes clear. It will not make one any smarter or educated, it just returns that connection to nature back on. Think of the brain as a light switch to the mind, when we rely on the brain for thought, the mind is in the dark.

3. GoldenBird profile image58
      GoldenBirdposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Both brain and mind are our illusions. Once we are connected with Reality, we realize the futility of these questions. The Upanishads are really good books, they save much time. smile

The upanashads are beautiful writings, but even then it was pointing out an individual path. All of the demons and gods are but reflections of the mind and are to be a task of the individual venture.

1. GoldenBird profile image58

I love your new profile-picture. You are becoming like a saint. When you are finished, take me in to your school. I can say that I learn fast. smile

I cannot take you into a school that exists only within your self. I can show it to you, but you have to learn on your own.

Such is the beauty of life.

To each is a path of many miles, one only need put the foot in the right place.

Do you always speak such lovely words? You sound just unreal. Or maybe I am just conditioned to hearing rough words.

I'm not real, just another passing moment.

2. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

I see my physical being in terms of mind as a categorization in the memory, that operates by selecting specific memories automatically and by direction, that it remembers will accomplish specific things in mind and reality.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I looked at this post earlier, however, I was unable to articulate my response that eloquently KYS. I was thinking my mind is me and my decisions are based on my past experiences, that's how I reason things through. I can't see how me and my brain and mind are separate.

3. knolyourself profile image59

Somewhat a little more complicated than that, but not space here to illustrate. Tried to write an encapsulation. For me if I can't write an encapsulation I don't understand. Since the above
    was not that good, guessing I don't quite got the gist yet.

It was that good? You certainly get the gist of it more than I do. With the exception of the other functions of the brain, I don't get the separation of mind and brain. Unless we include our soul, but that's a bit elusive.

I can't answer the above questions for you, I'd be cheating you if I did.

None of us can.

When you get it and I mean really get it, you'll feel alot better. It took me near 35 years to answer these questions and I had to answer them for my self. Get your brain out of the way and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

4. knolyourself profile image59

"I don't get the separation of mind and brain"
    Neither does anyone else. Could call the brain the mechanics of it all like oft used computer analogy.
    Then there is right and left brain as more analytical and more symbolic. I call the memory as the brain,
    or the self that is created through experience in reality and which begins an empty space. Interesting 60 minutes show Sunday a ten year math genius gradating college soon. Super photographic memory and
    a bit of autistic. The interesting thing was he remembers by images of colored triangles each corner having a number that he stacks one on top of the other making piles of them. He can recite pi 3.14 and on and on forwards and backwards.

ok, mind perhaps? like a computer monitor, displays information retrieved from memory. While the mother board, perhaps? is the brain- processed information? the questioner? Maybe? Interesting though, that a child who is purported to be different in some way, has unique abilities. Square pegs and round holes.

How about the universe itself? we are a natural function of the universe. So how do we know we aren't just doing as it is having us do? It is the cycle of nature that we live and die. So why are we afraid of death? When I need questions answered, I answer them myself. Wether it be by questions, just being as I am or letting the universe come to me. Why do planets explode and stars burn out? Why is water wet?

1. janesix profile image60
          janesixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What if your answers are wrong though?

What if they are? Does it matter? I found this enlightenment on my path, so your enlightenment will be slightly different.

2. janesix profile image60

It matters to me:)

Why does how I feel about the universe matter? This life is your path and you are here, on your path to where ever you're going. I cannot determine your path for you, only you can do that. I am walking in the footsteps I laid out for myself and so I am my own master and student. Sometimes we may need a little jumpstart to see the whole picture.

1. janesix profile image60

I meant "what if your answers are wrong" in a general sense, not you in particular. I was meaning MY answers mean something to me. Now that I've thouroughly confused the issue, I'll just shut up.

Again. What if they are wrong? Does it hurt anyone but me? I have a path of my own and on my path, I have found a truth, that for me is the right answer. I did not need religion or science to find it, it was just there and it was every moment of my entire life.

5. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 12 years ago

If you're somehow asking the question "Where do we think from?" then I'll say that the mind is the part of us that holds the controls - and thought originates there.  The brain, as the physical mechanism that allows us to have the thought completes the circuit between all the cells of the body and the mind and is where the chemical reactions occur that regulate the body systems.  There is a concept of mind as having no actual physical being and yet being what organizes and controls our bodily systems - our spirit and our intellect come together in our mind.  If you study the Aryurvedic (ancient East Indian) systems of thought it is all described very well - long before modern science identified specifically the various bodily systems that our minds hold together.  I sure hope I'm right, because this all sounds so good to me!  I think I'm right.  But somebody will probably want to argue or call me a fool!  that's ok.  You do what you have to do.

The mind is only a small part of it.

2. mischeviousme profile image61

If your path has an answer at the end of it, then that is your answer. My life ends every second, so I have my answer. I am the alpha and omega of my own perception and I believe I am being percieved by that which gave me life, the universe.

3. WD Curry 111 profile image58
      WD Curry 111posted 12 years agoin reply to this

The art from that period was visionary and accurate as well. It can reach deeper than words sometimes.

6. WD Curry 111 profile image58
    WD Curry 111posted 12 years ago

Have you ever done this exercise? First, consciously pick something, anything, and freeze it in your mind. Think it again without letting the first thought dissipate. Continue layering the thoughts. You will notice that you get quite a pile of that same thought on many different levels of thought, like a juggler spinning plates. You will notice that you are having unrelated thoughts on every level as well.

In the exercise, you will feel as if you go deeper into your mind. We can project our thoughts as well, but not with as much power. There is a center from which it all emanates, and it is within. That is all I know about the subject.

7. profile image0
    jonnycomelatelyposted 12 years ago

Janesix, I hope that by saying you will "shut up" you are not feeling in any way guilty of having said something here.  Even if you feel that what you have said has confused the issues, that does not matter at all.

By "shutting up" in a practical sense, that can bring into your self a moment of silence.  A wonderfully positive thing to do.  You mind may be going at a million miles a second, filling you with all manner of doubts, confusion, not knowing which way to go next.  Suddenly, when you stop the world spinning, and settle into that "still small voice of calm," a minute sparkle of awareness might arise.  Just at the moment you need new inspiration.  That is specially for you.  No one else.

Please remain with us in this Thread of discovery which mischeviousme has instigated.

I just want to share my view of the universe with you and everyone else. I was using these questions to better explain what I yammer on about.

2. WD Curry 111 profile image58
      WD Curry 111posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Dang dude, that is cool. Translation,"Sir, you have made a fine, poetic, prophetic statement that indicates an intuitive mind and a kind, gracious soul."

I want to have an experience like you describe. I think I'll shut up, too!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)