Hubpages Should Negotiate With Google For Youtube Impressions

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (18 posts)
  1. americababy profile image59
    americababyposted 12 years ago

If you think of all the Youtube videos on hubpages it equals a lot of impressions.  That's millions of impressions that Youtube is getting for free.  Because almost every hub on here has Google ads, it would make sense for Youtube to kick back some of the impressions that its Youtube partners get to people who embed those peoples videos.

Hubpages could negotiate for impressions from the Youtube partners program and Adsense from video to be credited to Hubpages and hubbers adsense impression and click counts.

Overall this would benefit Google because it will result in a larger incentive for people to embed videos. 
    Also there is another aspect that could greatly increase Googles revenue.  A lot of people upload video to youtube that aren't members of adsense.  Most hubbers are members of adsense.  So if I put a video in my Hub that doesn't have any ads in it, it doesn't help anyone. 

What Hubpages could do is negotiate for "final mile" ad placement.  Meaning that if there aren't any ads on an embedded video that people who are approved for adsense could be allowed to place them as long as the videos themselves weren't in violation of copyright.  In this way Google would be able to monetize a way larger percentage of its videos. 

This would give another strong incentive for people to look for videos without ads and to try to make them popular enough through their promotion that the person who uploaded the video would have an incentive to create more videos and to sign up for their own adsense for video accounts.  It would also increase the rate that people made youtube partner.

1. Bendo13 profile image76
      Bendo13posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I disagree...
      The people who put ads on their videos have earned the right to be able to do that by posting good content, obeying the rules and building a huge following, which is pretty hard to do.

When you link to anything you choose to link to it and 90% of the sites we link to anymore have some kind of advertising on them... should we ask for a cut of their ad money too?

Sure, the video is embeded on our hub... but there is no revenue collected unless the person watches the video and interacts with the ad.  So it's Google's job to make those ads relevant enough that someone would interact with them, but it's the YouTubers job to make the video interesting enough that anyone would even watch it... or share it on their hub wink

And if you only add a video to your hubs because you know you'll make money from them, then that defeats the purpose of the video... which is to add value to your hub (for your READERS).

Sure, it sucks you're not getting a cut but you didn't do the work to earn the ability to have those ads and you don't get a cut of advertising from other sites that you link to.  You choose what you want to share because you think it will be a bonus to your readers (at least I hope) not because you get paid to promote it.

1. Dame Scribe profile image56
        Dame Scribeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1 a great answer smile and I agree. I don't mind promoting somebody's video if it's related to my own content. It's a win-win situation for both of us I'd say.

2. Pcunix profile image90
        Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's not so "huge".  I have Google ads on mine and trust me, I don't have many views.

2. American_Choices profile image78
    American_Choicesposted 12 years ago

I agree but the problem is YouTube is king and they know it. I think the hosting of videos needs to be on HubPages, with HubPages receiving the impressions and the revenue.

Having stated that, here is a thought - if there is a new business development, perhaps a new type of affiliate could be created IF the impressions are over x amount per day which obviously HubPages would quality for - this might get YouTubes attention.

I believe there is allot of marketing room for soliciting HubPages own ads. I wonder where the media kit is and where the promotion to the businesses out on the net to draw them in for specific targeting. The Draino commercials we had need to become a regular item here on HubPages.

1. ProCW profile image79
      ProCWposted 12 years agoin reply to this
    2. Bendo13 profile image76
      Bendo13posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh and it appears that HubPages will you allow to host videos through them soon - check their blog...

3. americababy profile image59
      americababyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

@American_Choices.  Yeah it's an issue on the scale Hubpages is at.  So an indivdual might be ignored by Youtube for such a request, but not a top 50 website.  Even if Hubpages were to apply for the partner program themselves and then negotiate a deal like VEVO has that would work.  They could then pass on that deal as a seperate program in the ad program.

3. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

Oh, and there isn't much money being left on the table, either.  I made a whole 2 cents from Youtube Google ads last month smile

4. americababy profile image59
    americababyposted 12 years ago

It wasn't really a suggestion.  It should be done.

1. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As mentioned by Bendo13, Hubpages is soon going to allow you to host your own videos on site. See Robin's profile for examples.

Yeah that doesn't solve the problem of Youtube videos.  The two things aren't related.  If Youtube can be hosted AT ALL there should be some type of deal in place.  Listen, either you do it right or you don't do it right.  There is no middle ground.  They aren't doing it right.  Just because they have a wesbite doesn't always mean they will do everything to run it as well as they can.  So I'm giving them the information to run it better.  They are in a postion now where they have power.  So it would make sense to use it.  Or to eliminate Youtube videos entirely from the site.  When I give a suggestion it shouldn't be viewed as a suggestion.  It's what should be done.  Every post should basically agree with it because it's what will make hubbers the most revenue.

Well here's an idea. How about you go make your own large website and work out a deal with Youtube.

It's their website. If you want to run their website, buy it or get on the staff.

It's not about that.  There are only two options.

1.  I'm right
            2.  I'm not right

Right now they get nothing.  So I must be right.

Would love to see Relache swing by right about now!

Why who is that?  Why would them swinging by change anything?

5. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

I would just like to see a portion of all those mobile views that HP gets and doesnt display our ids on :p

nearly 10 million a month according to Quantcast

then they can get to video ads.

Ads on the embedded's would blow though, not enough screen real estate, that would just be annoying and would be ripping off the advertiser and the viewer

So what they are making money on that any not giving that to us?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)