NBC/WSJ poll: Majority would vote out every member of Congress

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

NBC/WSJ poll: Majority would vote out every member of Congress
    By NBC's Domenico Montanaro

In a country sharply divided on almost every issue, most Americans agree on one thing: they don't like Congress, and they would vote to replace every single member -- even their own -- if they had the option.

Fifty-six percent of registered voters say they would vote out every member of Congress if there were a place on the ballot to do so. Thats the highest response in favor of the question since it was first asked in March 2010.

And they say so across the ideological spectrum  with 55 percent of liberals, 55 percent of moderates, and 58 percent of conservatives all feeling the same way.
    http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20 … f-congress
    Congress has a 13% approval rating...so why are they still there? how do we fix this broken system?

1. Evan G Rogers profile image61
      Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would keep maybe 3 or 4: RON PAUL, Rand, Kucinich isn't SO bad, and maybe one other that I can't think of.

The question becomes "why are people furious with the congress system?" The answer is "because they have to deal with Ohioans legislating on California governance".

Everyday, some jerk from California has a major influence in my life. Jerk #1 voted for Jerk #2-10. #2-10 vote regularly to tell ME what I can do in Ohio.

Screw that.

I want to maximize my influence on my elected officials, and I want Ohioans voting for Ohioans.

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

National Voter Turnout in Federal Elections:
    2010 Turnout of voting-age population (percent) 37.8%
    Most people don't vote because there is nobody to vote for.

1. Stacie L profile image89
      Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

term limits...

2. Evan G Rogers profile image61
      Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No excuses this time: Ron Paul

3. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

The problem with term limits is just when an elected official starts to learn the job they are tossed out.
    The problem it is two party system period controlled by money.

1. Moderndayslave profile image61
      Moderndayslaveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As soon as they learn the job they seem to learn how to work the system. Two terms and Get Out. it is supposed to be a simple job,vote as you feel your Constituents would like. Not what would line your or you family members pockets. You are right about the two party money thing.

1. Quilligrapher profile image73
        Quilligrapherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi there, MDS. It has been a while since our last exchange.

We agree in spirit but your definition of “constituents” may differ from our congressional representative’s. We are living in a highly mobile society. Regional roots are no longer important to a candidate. Consider the fact that John McCain, thinking Barry Goldwater was about to retire, moved to Arizona to run for his Senate seat. Both Bobby Kennedy and Hilary Clinton are pretend New Yorkers recruited for their Senate runs by the state’s Democratic Party machine. This political trend may very well be the reason why members of Congress display more allegiance to the movers and shakers then to the voters on Main Street.
        Just a thought, my friend. Hope you have a pleasant evening.

2. profile image60
        logic,commonsenseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are 100% correct on this matter!

4. Hugh Williamson profile image77
    Hugh Williamsonposted 12 years ago

"Fifty-six percent of registered voters say they would vote out every member of Congress if there were a place on the ballot to do so."

This is the most hopeful news I've heard lately.

Unless someone runs unopposed, there always is a way to get rid of them. Voting out all sitting officeholders would send a far stronger message than re-electing someone who now says they'll keep promises that they didn't deliver on last time.

The message sent by voter revolt will be more important and powerful than party loyalty.

Fire them all. Show that we mean business -- vote out everyone up for reelection, regardless of party.

1. profile image60
      logic,commonsenseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've been an advocate of that for several years now.  The biggest problem is that most think it is someone else's congressman or senator that is the bad one and that their representative is okay.

1. Hugh Williamson profile image77
        Hugh Williamsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's very true but maybe we can finally see that congress agrees on nothing but wasting money on bridges to nowhere and enriching themselves.

The bacon that they bring home to their constituents is paid for by those same constituents and maybe voters are becoming more aware of that fact.

I sure hope so.

5. Shanna11 profile image76
    Shanna11posted 12 years ago

Hasn't it always been this like? In my poli sci class, we discussed why and ultimately it boils down to the institution-not necessarily the people (although they help too!). Most people are happy with their specific elected representative because of pork barrel money and constituent service. A representative HAS to fight for the specific needs of their constituents in order to keep their job, which means a lot of conflicting interests. Also, everyone constantly says they want to see compromise, but often times the constituents see this as caving, so prisoners dilemma's and games of chicken are common-- the representative who tries to compromise ultimately can't have everything he wants, so he's seen as caving, and his constituents kick him out.

It's just the nature of Congress-- it's too big and runs inefficiently. But if it's too small, our founders feared tyranny.

1. Hugh Williamson profile image77
      Hugh Williamsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

All true. I expect our founders would spin in their graves if they knew that the freedoms they fought so hard for, like free elections are often ignored by some of our citizens (non-voters).

It's time to send a message --  this time around that's much more important than who we vote for. The message:  anyone wanting a career in politics had better fear the voters more than big money, and work for our interests.

Toss out every pol who's up for re-election.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)