My husband took out a loan to go to Super Bowl

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Leaderofmany profile image60
    Leaderofmanyposted 12 years ago

I'm pissed he took out a loan to go to Super Bowl that is over 5000.00 just because it is in Indianpolis which is close to home. What should I do?

1. hubber-2009 profile image58
      hubber-2009posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Don't worry earn more from Hubpages and you can sponsor him next time... LOL...

2. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 12 years ago

Before you Publicly Humiliate Him... Ask YOURSELF This: ....

"Why would someone love me enough to marry me... give me his time and his trust... put up with all my moods... my lack of interest in the sports and other things that he really loves (even though I know deep down that they really don't compete with me).... and want to share time with like minded buddies, yet not invite me... but borrow, beg or steal to get to experience what could factually be the Last Enjoyable Thing in his otherwise ordinary Life?????"

If you can answer that question HONESTLY... you will maybe pack his lunch for him - just to say "THANKS I Love You Too!" smile

1. Leaderofmany profile image60
      Leaderofmanyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I do care about Football, and I do care that he is taking my son who loves New England. I just can't understand the loan part. If I had the 5000.00 in the bank it would be alot easier. I have told him I think its great that he wants to take my sons to the Super Bowl, its a great experience, but we can do alot with 5000.00. I am not putting him down, I'm putting the loan down. What if I took out a loan to go shopping or go on vaction without him?

1. Lisa HW profile image63
        Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Personally, I wouldn't get a loan for that particular thing - at all.  However, it can make a difference if the loan can easily/comfortably be paid back versus whether it will mean not paying the mortgage or electric bill to pay it back.

If I knew for sure that there was little chance I'd run into trouble paying it back (and quickly), I'm not sure I wouldn't think it would be smarter to break it up into the famous "three easy payments" than to take cash out of the bank.

I'm not really defending the "wisdom" of spending that much on any game, but people have those things in life that they view as important (or as important to at least be able to do once).  They also have those times when they think, "This is something I'd just like my child to have - that special time and special event.  He's only a kid once, and I've always wished I could have gone to a Superbowl with my father."  (That type of thing)  People can also have the thing, "I work hard for my money, and I never spend on anything silly.  Just once I'd like to do this."  Or they have the thing, "My child always does without.  For once, I'd like him to have this special thing because he's such a good kid, and there are rotten kids who get to have, and do, so much more than he usually does."

People also have the thing, "Life is short.  I learned that when so-and-so died so young.  I don't want to wait until I have a spare $5000 to waste on something silly, because my son will grown up - and I may not even be here tomorrow anyway."

So - I don't know... -  what I think you should do is talk about it with him, consider trying to see it from his point of view, and consider whether he thinks this is worth such a loan for reasons other than usually being a big "money-waster" or "debt lover".

If he's usually "like this" with money and loans I'd think you may want to see a counselor with him for your marriage.  If this is something he does't usually do and just did, maybe it's one of those things that you don't have to be happy about or even understand, but have to live with because married people aren't always going to approve of the other's choices.

A part of me feels bad for him, because I can't help but wonder if he's got some unhappiness, or sense of deprivation, about himself or about your son (maybe only money-wise, special-time-wise, or freedom to not worry about something and just do something "crazy" for once).  If it's a case of his thinking sports is five-thousand-dollars' worth of "important" that another thing.  Then again, if it's that important to him - maybe that's his right too.  It's certainly not a easy situation to imagine figuring out what to do over.

He may need help.  He may need understanding.  He may need the proverbial pass for one, big, doozie of a poor choice.  Then again, maybe he just needs a kick in the bottom with a football cleat.  You're the one who probably knows which better than anyone else.  hmm

3. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 12 years ago

I think you answered your own question.. albeit with a question. smile

That is the trade-off isn't it?  What if you REWARDED Yourself Too?  I guess if I was answering this objectively.. then I would say that with the difficulties that each of you have experienced then it is very important for each of you to have some REAL Time Out - but (and as you are clearly stating here) plan it, in a way that doesn't or can't have a negative effect on other lifestyle goals! Time out with the Kids is also Very Important.. so maybe your answer is that you do use the initial savings from not smoking to Reward YOU for giving up and just because it has probably been a long time since you actually thought about You huh? smile
    You know... if you approach this entire thing positively... You WILL Get a Positive Set of Benefits Back! True! smile

4. tobey100 profile image62
    tobey100posted 12 years ago

You should immediately purchase opera tickets and two season passes to the nearest art museum.

5. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

I think you shoud go with him.

1. tobey100 profile image62
      tobey100posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oooh!  That's a much better answer.

6. seattleamilehigh1 profile image61
    seattleamilehigh1posted 12 years ago

Go to the game, duh...

7. seattleamilehigh1 profile image61
    seattleamilehigh1posted 12 years ago

Go to the game, duh...

8. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 12 years ago

I am so tempted to rant and rave about the misplaced importance of sports and the sports businessmen who make our nation wild with the millions spent on players and sports arenas and advertising.  But I won't do that.  I know that it is the way it is because we are still primates very slightly advancing in the evolutionary scheme of things so we can't expect not to love spectacles.  I would be livid if (a) I had a husband who borrowed 5000 or even 1000 to go to the superbowl and (b) didn't invite me to go along and (c) we needed a new car.  I am livid anyway on your behalf - and also because I like getting the livid adrenaline rush lol  seriously, you will get major guilt benefits when he returns and you will be able to get chores done by him in a flash and maybe other stuff as well - plan for it!

9. TamCor profile image80
    TamCorposted 12 years ago

Since it sounds like it's already a done deal, then you can't do much about it, I guess.  I understand why you're upset, I think.  It's not because of what he's doing with the money, but that he borrowed it without discussing it with you first?

Maybe it puts a strain on your finances, having to pay it back?  I think he should've talked to you first--you two are married, so the credit affects you both, good or bad.  It's not right that he just went out and got a loan without even telling you--that's not how marriage is supposed to work...

But...he did it, it's done.  Hopefully you can talk about this between the two of you without screaming and arguing--sit down and talk about it like adults. Let him know how you feel, and if the paying back of the loan is going to be tough, then let him know that, also. 

I understand how badly he probably wants to go to the Superbowl...heck, we do, too, since we live fairly close to Indy.  But we admit that we just can't swing it this year...sometimes you just have to watch the good stuff on TV... smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)