about face

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (50 posts)
  1. Evan G Rogers profile image61
    Evan G Rogersposted 12 years ago

Yesterday, on President's Day, hundreds of VERIFIED US veterans marched on Washington in support of Ron Paul, and against Obama.

Ron Paul is the only pro-peace candidate, the only veteran candidate, and the only candidate who acknowledges the Constitution that these men and women took an oath to uphold.

Every other candidate - Obama included - is chiefly funded by big corporation who make billions (trillions?) off of the wars. Ron Paul's top 3 contribution groups come from - I kid you not - the US Army, Navy, Air Force.

Ron Paul receives more money from servicemen than EVERY other candidate -- COMBINED. He receives almost TWICE as much as Obama.

http://www.rollitup.org/politics/506795 … crazy.html

They carried out two moments of silences. Each second of silence represented the total number of veterans who have committed suicide and for those troops that have died abroad since Obama took office (he promised to end the wars by his first year).

They performed an 'About Face' away from the White House.

Did you not hear about this? Of course not. The only videos online of the whole thing come from, ironically, Russia Today and independent media sources:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yewKCcF … e=youtu.be
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHAnGCsSkQU

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/20 … ite-house/

1. JamesPoppell profile image72
      JamesPoppellposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The news media has its own objective by being selective with the news they put on the air. You take CNN & MSNBC and you get far left news. On the flip side of that coin you have Fox News which is far right. For once, I would like to see a news media outlet who is centered, fair and balanced.

1. livelonger profile image87
        livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

CNN is far left?

I agree MSNBC is left, and Fox is right, but CNN is about as close to the center as you're going to get.

1. habee profile image93
          habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree.

2. Vladimir Uhri profile image60
          Vladimir Uhriposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Somebody here is kidding.

2. profile image0
      Sooner28posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think I might slightly agree with you for once Evan.  One thing I admire about Ron Paul is that he is not afraid to call out the military-industrial complex.

2. Greek One profile image62
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

hundreds?

Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, did you watch the video?

I assume that 100-300 counts as hundreds...

1. Greek One profile image62
        Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

that would be impressive....

if each represented an Electoral College vote

Oh, it was actually 400.

3. Aya Katz profile image83
    Aya Katzposted 12 years ago

Go Ron Paul!

4. Jed Fisher profile image67
    Jed Fisherposted 12 years ago

I think I saw a 20-second blurb about it on ABC news around 3:30am.

1. Greek One profile image62
      Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

right after the Sham Wow commecial?

5. Gypsy Willow profile image66
    Gypsy Willowposted 12 years ago

Ron Paul seems to be the only GOP candidate with any sanity. But then I have no vote. Religion should have no place in politics.

1. Vladimir Uhri profile image60

I do like Dr. Ron Paul But today so unstable world we cannot compromise US security. We need type of Reagan.

Paul supported Reagan's message, but then Reagan got in office and pulled a 180.

6. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

Well, not according to this:

http://projects.propublica.org/pactrack … tions/tree

who is Theil?

It's absolutely hilarious that the Revolution PAC isn't on there.

Your source is incomplete.

1. lovemychris profile image76
        lovemychrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"the top ten donors to each of the 12 largest super PACs, through Jan. 31"

These were the TOP donors, not all of them. And you said Pauls top were the military...is it?

Obama's top appears to be SEIU: Union.

The vast majority of his money comes from individuals.

He just raised 2 million over the weekend from individual donors who each have a $2500 limit on donations.

Unless Thiel has donated over $20 million, then it really isn't worth talking about.

7. lovemychris profile image76

Peter Thiel gives Endorse Liberty Super PAC another $1.7 million Billionaire Peter Thiel has poured $1.7 million more into a super PAC supporting presidential candidate Ron Paul, bringing his total contributions to $2.6 million. Reports filed with the Federal Election Commission today show that Thiel, a Silicon Valley investor, made the additional contributions to the Endorse Liberty PAC in the first half of January. Thiel, a libertarian, is the single largest donor to the PAC. http://www.forbes.com/sites/lauriebenne … billion... read more

"The Treasurer of Endorse Liberty, Abraham D. Niederhauser, is a corporate executive who is a known Ron Paul supporter."

The top 3 contributors to Ron Paul's campaign are the three branches of military.

The top for Obama?

Corporation, Corporation, corporation.

8. lovemychris profile image76

"‘libertarianism’ as it is defined today is the natural philosophy of the plutocrat, the oligarch, and the fat-cat. Why this should be is hardly a mystery — in a truly libertarian society (sic) the guy with the most upper-body strength (ladies need not apply), the heaviest rock, the stoutest club, the biggest gun, or the most money gets to take all the liberties, while everyone else gets to pound sand, because the prols (that’s you, my friend, and me) have been deluded into abandoning the only thing which would otherwise stand between them and abject Dickensian enslavement under the iron fist of the Bosses: the rule of law."

1. Aya Katz profile image83
      Aya Katzposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Libertarianism _is_ the rule of law. It allows people to be treated equally regardless of wealth. It protects minorities from majority rule.

I don't see how states rights protects minorities.....
        Like say gay people who want to marry.

And in that case, Ron Paul needs to change his designation, because he will throw me to the wolves.

It means, among other things, that if another state is more open to your lifestyle, you can choose to live there. Some states are much more liberal in terms of social lifestyle choices than others.

When these types of decisions are made on the Federal level, then if the majority is against you, you have no recourse but to leave the country.

I would trust the country as a whole over individual states.....

There has to be such a thing as Universal Rights.

There is: The right to property.

That's it. All other TRUE rights branch from this.

Yes, and the most precious property is my body. Do Not Tread On Me.

2. couturepopcafe profile image61
                couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Evan - you're saying I have a right to own property?

So two questions: Do I have to buy it or is the gov't supposed to give it to me?

What about some law that says the gov't can come and take your property anytime if they need it?

1. profile image58
                  geordmcposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's called "Eminent Domian". The govt can pay market value for your property, however, govt WILL have the land evalutated at half price to screw you better!

Eminent Domain is tyranny.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image61

Property is gained initially from homesteading: If you come across land that no one else claims, and you use it for farming, then you own it.

Ownership pre-dates government, thus government does not have a right to dish it out. It can only manage and enforce contracts.

Government has NO right to steal your property.

2. innersmiff profile image65
              innersmiffposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What if the federal government decides that abortion is illegal? Do you think that is more or less tyrannical than some states legalising, some states criminalizing?

That would be tyrannical in the extreme.

I don't think a majority of the people will let that happen.

It can only happen in America if a small minority lies their way into office and then shows their true colors. And that's much easier in a state.

1. innersmiff profile image65
                  innersmiffposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And then it only affects that state.

That is still too much tyranny!
                    You're not supposed to get elected to throw your religion on everybody else.

Politics is to run a country, not run everyone's personal lives.

And as we as individuals live here, and pay for that priveledge, our private lives are just that....ours.

Render onto Ceasar that which is due...leave the morality to each his own.

Gvt is not a moral arbiter.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image61

Duh, Innersmiff!

Don't you understand liberals? It's only tyranny if the government does it and they do NOT agree with it.

DUH!!!

2. Vladimir Uhri profile image60

Aya I agree. But still I do not like full libertarianism. They are very hostile. Only my experience.

Vladimir, do you mean that you acknowledge Libertarianism is fair, but you think Libertarians often come off as disagreeable or even hostile?

1. Vladimir Uhri profile image60

Aya, yea

2. steveamy profile image61
      steveamyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Libertarianism. as espoused by most of its adherents is the modern day replacement of the Social  Darwinism of the late 19th Century

No, not at all, actually.

It's anti-social darwinism.

Darwinism says "the strongest survive and flourish, and they dominate the weak". In a libertarian society, no one can dominate anyone.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65
        Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+++

Three thumbs up from Ralph "Might Makes Right" Deeds.

3. Evan G Rogers profile image61

It's really not.

1. steveamy profile image61

Maybe not in the idealized version in people's minds but those sort of policies would be used by some  elements of society to dominate and exploit other elements of society ....

It's funny, because you just described PERFECTLY the situation we have now.

1. steveamy profile image61

....and libertarianism would would exacerbate the problem

Don't see how that's possible!

In fact, I seem to remember you applauding the 99% movement that literally took to the streets in protest.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)