Would you eat a test-tube burger?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

A Dutch scientist is working on a new food that gives a whole new meaning to 'mystery meat.'

The idea is to grow cow meat from bovine stem cells.

There are still a few things to work out:

Since there is no blood in the meat it's pinkish-yellow in color.

Scientists need to grow the fat separately to keep the meat juicy and tasty.

A scientist is expected to unveil his Petri-grown burger in October.

There is no word on who gets the first bite.

To produce the meat on a large scale, it could take up to 20 years

Read more: http://www.kypost.com/dpp/news/local_ne … z1mz5g8siF
    would we know we were eating a test tube burger? It doesn't sound very appetizing

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I do not think so. lololo! No way it sounds a little disgusting. big_smile

2. Dale Hyde profile image79
      Dale Hydeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hard to say! Could be the fad of the future, or the ONLY way to have a burger in the future, lol.

3. Leroyworld profile image60
      Leroyworldposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Personally, this sounds more like a publicity stunt than a serious proposal.  The product looks like it is a long way from any significant production.  There is no way to tell what the final product will be like, so I will wait and see about the taste, texture, and affect on lab rats.   Personally, this sounds more like a publicity stunt than a serious proposal.

I am curious about one thing though:  if it is possible to grow meat in a laboratory, then what other applications are possible?   

Would it be possible to grow human organs for transplants? 

Are we going to be seeing artificial headless chickens laying eggs in sterile rooms thereby eliminating a major source of salmonella food poisoning?  Can we just grow the eggs directly?

Will we be able to grow wool without a sheep, just a sheep skin?

I think a little imagination, and humor - if you have some, is called for.

4. jpcmc profile image89
      jpcmcposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think I would out of curiosity.

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

nope!...sounds scary! yikes

3. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 12 years ago

No,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,noooooooooooooo.

Lol, did that answer the question? Only if it comes from the Real cow.

1. jpcmc profile image89

So it's a no then.  Lol

4. TheMagician profile image88
    TheMagicianposted 12 years ago

Sounds crazy... but you know, for a lot of people saying no, they might not know that they're drinking aborted fetus cells in Pepsi!

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

..that's just gross....ack!

1. TheMagician profile image88
        TheMagicianposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, haha. It's been talked about for a while now.
        The lab that does flavor research for Pepsi (and Kraft, and Nestle!) does it.
        It's supposed to "enhance the flavor."

1. jpcmc profile image89

Is this for real? This is just morally detestful if it is.

5. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 12 years ago

No-- I rarely eat the regular kind.

6. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

Absolutely NOT.

I also saw that link today, none of that is remotely safe to eat, and everyone knows that GMOs made by the Merchants of Death, Monsanto - the folks that flooded Alabama with pcbs and murdered un numbered poor blacks with them, thousands upon thousands of American GI's with agent orange, and caused the suicides of over 1,400 Indian farmers in one year....are representatives of the entire fake food plan.

No thanks.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6206530_f248.jpg

7. againsttheodds profile image60
    againsttheoddsposted 12 years ago

Yeah, I'll pass.  Didn't know that about the PCBs thanks for pointing that out Wesman.

8. againsttheodds profile image60
    againsttheoddsposted 12 years ago

There is enough difference just in a cow that is grass fed rather than feedlot beef.  Imagine the possibilities here.   Sprinkle it with some aspartame for flavor?

lol

9. QualityContent profile image70
    QualityContentposted 12 years ago

No way. Not a chance. I am so sick of scientists and corporations screwing with the natural world. Leave it the HELL alone.

i agree...stop screwin' around with nature!

10. pedrog profile image61
    pedrogposted 12 years ago

that's flippin' gross...soylent green would be better...ahhhh..,...ack!....

11. Jed Fisher profile image69
    Jed Fisherposted 12 years ago

But seriously. I’d probably be happy with whatever, not too picky. But rather recently I’ve developed food allergies. But pinning down the allergies, that has been hard. Nothing showing up in allergy tests. But Genetically Modified wheat, that makes me sick, just like a person with wheat allergies. And Garlic. Not all Garlic, the stuff growing as weeds in my back yard, no problem. I used to eat Pizza all the time, but now? forget it.
    Genetically modified garlic, that causes me to stop breathing if I’m not careful. Severe headache, bad enough to make me pass out, throat swells shut, that sort of thing.
    And where do they get the genes they splice into these GM foods? Well, to ensure compatibility with humans, they….they splice in human genes!
    That’s right, brothers and sisters, Soylant Green really is people!

12. michifus profile image58
    michifusposted 12 years ago

SInce it has so far cost around $200,000 to make, probably not unless my Hubpages account starts producing a lot more revenue. Although that is also the cost of a tourist trip to space, and I would get a lot more pleasure from spending the money on that.

Seriously though, a test tube burger is not that different from other synthetically manufactured foodstuffs. How about cheese? It is a protein manufacturered from animal products. Why should a test tube burger be classed as anything different?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)