Writing and inspiration

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)
  1. profile image0
    kevinbrown55posted 12 years ago

Hello fellow hubbers. I am Kevin, a creative writer at heart. I valuue the process of generating fresh ideas for writing projects. What does everyone else do to maximize their creativity? When the going gets rough, what do my wonderful hubbers like to do to stay inspired? I am trying to pursue a career in writing and am open to any feedback and suggestions. Thank you!

1. JayDeck profile image60
      JayDeckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have a muse that inspires me to dream and create. Then I write.

2. Erlz12 profile image60
      Erlz12posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm a creative writer at heart too. Usually, before I write, I listen to music. It can be anything: pop, rock, ballad, classical, etc. The type of music will depend on what I'm writing. But once I start writing, I turn off the music.

2. profile image0
    kevinbrown55posted 12 years ago

Yes, music does help doesn't it? It depends on what I write also.m If I'm working on something that has tension, I tend to listen to something like rap music. when I'm writing a scene with exposition or one that it is more relaxed, I do classical. Depending on what I'm writing helps me decide if I want to continue playing the music while I write. Thanks for the thoughtful insight!

3. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

On here I write non-fiction only (unless I've dabbled a time or two in writing a poem).  I probably shouldn't admit this, but my "inspiration" comes from one of two things:  Either wanting to try to be helpful to someone, or else anger.  If I'm trying to be helpful to someone (whether I'm imagining someone "out there" or there's really someone who has asked for ideas/information), I'll pretend I'm with them, and I'll write what I'd say to them (except without taking a break for them to respond).  Out it comes - hundreds of words, because what could be said in ten minutes amounts to hundreds of typewritten words.  If it's not quite wanting to be directly helpful to someone, it's similar when I'm aiming to be helpful in general by imagining (or seeing) a discussion about something; and thinking up what I have to share on the subject. 

The other thing is going with what's often short-term anger.  A recent example is a thread on here when someone made an assertion about countries like the U.S.  On the one hand, I don't take anything on here very seriously.  On the other, the short-term, immediate, reaction of being temporarily aggravated makes for Hub material.  (Whether or not I make it a Hub is a separate thing.)  Why any anger at all?  In an instance like that it might be that I've become sick of people "attacking" America and seldom seeming to stand up for it.  Or, it could be being sick of people making blanket remarks like, "Why do all women ____________" or "Why do men always ___________".  Those are button-pushers for me, so I make use of them when I can.

Even when I'm not having a quickie-flash of anger that will pass at quickly as he comes, I have lower level anger about things that go on in the world (people not treating other people with respect, relationships ending over misunderstanding, whatever).   So, I use all that kind of stuff as "inspiration" to write.  When I don't think it up on my own, I'll often go looking for stuff that I think is wrong (lol), get "inspired", and write in one place or another.

Also, though, I'll use the especially meaningful things and experiences that happen in life, or else I'll think about the really, really, meaningful emotions in one situation or another.

Basically, the stuff in life that goes on. (I don't have a shred of imagination - really - , so the stuff that goes on in life is all I have.  smile  )

See this post I just did, and how long it is?  Trying to contribute what I have to the discussion....    hmm   Hope it helps someone get some ideas.  smile

4. TheInspiredLife profile image69
    TheInspiredLifeposted 12 years ago

I go out for walks and take hot showers. When I already know what I want to write about but am stuck for a creative angle or approach, I take a hot shower and an idea will hit me every time! When I take long walks I end up with so many ideas I have to rush back into the house and catch them on paper before they get away. I walk without music or any other distraction, and the ideas just flow. I also tend to just get ideas when I try to go to sleep...that happens far too often for my health because I have to get up and write them down, I can't help it.

I have gone through periods where these ideas were not coming and everything I wrote felt stiff and forced. Things I do now to keep the idea tap on include working through The Artist's Way (a very powerful book if you really commit to the process and do the morning pages), freewriting my 3 pages every morning (from the artist's way), and turning people I see and meet into characters in my head. I am always turning people into characters and imagining what their life may be like, where they might be going, how much they paid for their shoes, and why they chose those names for their children. Those little imaginary scenarios lead me to writing ideas and my fiction pieces never suffer for characters, they are always in my head.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)