What do you think of a smoking parent?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (22 posts)
  1. romper20 profile image83
    romper20posted 12 years ago

I see this all too much and it's been striking a chord recently within me. Do you see Parents or Adults in general smoking near their children or associated? Talk about extremely bad role modeling. Sometimes i feel like taking justice into my own hands but how can i they already have it in theirs.

1. rakeshhp123 profile image62
      rakeshhp123posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Every parents know smoking near their children is bad. According to source, smoking affects mostly to passive smokers than active smokers. So I feel they are not only risking their life but also ruining their family health too. Thank you

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 12 years agoin reply to this

There actually has been some discussion that smoking around children may come to be viewed as a form of child abuse.  Unlike adults, children are unable to avoid the second hand smoke that can damage them.  Kids who constantly breathe second hand smoke can become addicted and if children even know their parents smoke, they are more likely to become smokers themselves.  Parents who smoke after they have children are making the wrong choice.  This isn't a matter of judging them, it's just the truth.

1. cloverleaffarm profile image68
        cloverleaffarmposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If that is the case, then feeding your child unhealthy food, and allowing them to become obese should be child abuse.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

I agree

2. cloverleaffarm profile image68
    cloverleaffarmposted 12 years ago

Being a child of two smokers, and a parent who smoked in front of their children, maybe I am the wrong person to answer this.
    I will tell you, that one should not judge another. Nicotine is a worse "drug" to overcome than cocaine, and heroin. It is VERY difficult to quit once you start. And there are studies that show, people who smoke have an "addictive personality". If it wasn't cigarettes, it would have been something worse.
    While both my parents smoked, only one of their children smoked. The same goes for my kids.
    As far as I'm concerned, I would rather see someone smoke in front of their kids, than drink alcohol. Talk about a bad role model. I can think of plenty of other bad role modeling for children too. Like seeing a 10 year old who is morbidly obese, because the parents are obese. This is far worse, and harder to overcome as an adult. It bugs me to see "the fat family" in malls. I feel bad for those kids. What about the father who yells at the kid? That is doing more damage than smoking could ever think of. That child will have internal scars the rest of their life. What about the mother who slaps their kid? What about the parent who gets high in the living room? What kind of role model is that? I can think of worse habits, or role modeling than smoking. Some, I can not write here.
    So, how would you take justice into your own hands? Would you arrest them? Would you put them in jail? Community service? Or would you tar and feather them?
    Smoking is a bad habit, and can be a bad model for kids. But, until one is the "perfect" role model, one should not cast stones at another.

It isn't a matter of casting stones.  Second hand smoke kills.  Period.

1. cloverleaffarm profile image68
        cloverleaffarmposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is a matter of casting stones. All these people against smoking, but not one has mentioned drinking in front of your kids, or smoking pot, or feeding your kids crappy foods...or any other bad habit. I've seen men who degrade women in front of their sons. They are teaching their sons to abuse women. Sorry, that is much worse than smoking around them.
        Allowing a child to become obese kills too.

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
          rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's not about casting stones. The thread clearly asks about views concerning parents who smoke. An obese child can start exercising, and eat healthier when they're old enough to make their own choices; the child can't do much about his asthma and weakened lung capacity because of his parent's need to smoke.

Cigarette packages will now carry one vivid color image and one of these warnings about the consequences of smoking: "Cigarettes are addictive"; "Tobacco smoke can harm your children"; "Cigarettes cause fatal lung disease"; "Cigarettes cause cancer"; "Cigarettes cause strokes and heart disease"; "Smoking during pregnancy can harm your baby"; "Smoking can kill you"; "Tobacco smoke causes fatal lung disease in nonsmokers"; and "Quitting smoking now greatly reduces serious risks to your health."

3. calpol25 profile image58
    calpol25posted 12 years ago

I am sorry but, my father smoked outside and never around us as children, and it did not bother us, what right have we to judge? You can not take the law into your own hands because then you cross a boundary by trying to tell some one how to live their life.

Smoking is a choice made by a person so that is their choice, I dont agree with smoking around children nor do I agree with smoking indoors either as I am smoker and smoke outside and never around children.

But I do not have the right to tell another how to live or to judge them, plus if the whole world was to stop smoking tomorrow then taxes would rise on alcohol and other things to compensate for the billions countries make a day on the sales of cigarettes.

Sorry I know that many of you will not agree with me but this is my opinion. smile

Your father protected you from his smoking.  Big difference.  This isn't a matter of judging others, it's a matter of scientifically proven health hazards from second hand smoke that can ruin children's health.

4. im28beyond profile image59
    im28beyondposted 12 years ago

More than the role model issues with smoking parents, I think it should be banned for health reasons. My dad was a heavy smoker. He died many years after years of smoking but it's actually an accumulation of his drinking alcohol and smoking. Things could have been different. you know.

5. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

Parents are their child's role model, provider, protector, teacher.

I always feel bad for the children because they will (and do) suffer health issues. Children come to school stinking like cigarette smoke, their backpacks, etc.

At least parents can smoke outside with doors closed if they need to smoke.
    Second hand smoke is very damaging to the lungs. Everyone should know that.

1. Druid Dude profile image61
      Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My kids went to school and got sick from your kids and the youngest one just died. Smoking isn't the only hazard in public. The kids who smell like smoke swiped cigs or bummed some on their way to school.

1. Druid Dude profile image61
        Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The above is a fictionalized account....no condolences please!smile

2. rebekahELLE profile image86
        rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I doubt it, they're preschool age. Some are babies.  wink

The OP is asking about smoking parents.

6. profile image0
    Kathryn LJposted 12 years ago

What about parents with fat kids?  Diabetes, heart disease, stroke, all because they are allowed to stuff their face full of salt, sugar, fat and carbs.  I will have more time for people condemning smoking parents, when we all accept that obesity in children is child abuse.  Actually, they're about as bad as one another.  And people who go on about how other people behave, they're really bad.  Dam.

7. Eric Newland profile image61
    Eric Newlandposted 12 years ago

Smoking around children can have acute effects, especially for very young children. It significantly increases the risk of SIDS and asthma, and I've read that even the residual smell on clothing can be harmful, so merely going outside to smoke is not enough to protect them. As far as infants are concerned smoking isn't really in the same category as "letting your kids eat McDonald's." It's more of a "not buckling your kid's car seat" kind of recklessness.

8. Alastar Packer profile image72
    Alastar Packerposted 12 years ago

A parent or parents who smoke are doing any children they have a disservice because no matter how bad the children are told smoking is from any source the odds are some of those kids will become smokers themselves. Parents are the main people in life a child will later emulate whatever the habit or activity.

9. paries profile image60
    pariesposted 12 years ago

smoking is really a bad habit..we know that smoking kills...if you love your children, you'll be concious about their health...

10. dutchman1951 profile image59
    dutchman1951posted 12 years ago

Smoking Parent? No worse than one who uses pills for every woe; valum,alchol, high energy drinks to pick us up. Allowing the over diagnosis of an active child, etc.., etc...  All of it perfictly bad examples for any Child to notice, or be swept up in.

And all of it a detriment to good Physical health as well as Mental health.

As Adults we do a lot of dammage and do not realise it, until it is to late. Cigaretts are just a samll portion of what we do wrong!  Think about it?

11. Druid Dude profile image61
    Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

First, determine if they are on fire. If not, then don't panic. If they are on fire: Call 911 and extinguish them if possible. Keep them still till the ambulance and fire department arrive. This has been a public service message.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)