Biggest solar flare in years about to smack Earth, could disrupt...

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (19 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

"Biggest solar flare in years about to smack Earth, could disrupt power grid, GPS, and more"

We are all doomed!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ … story.html

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

So I keep hearing but nothing ever  happens.

paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Doomed I say!

3. paradigmsearch profile image59

http://dart2.arc.nasa.gov/Deployments/OaklandFirestorm1991/images/Oakland-2.jpg
    Thursday morning. But at least the power is still on...

1. Insane Mundane profile image58
      Insane Mundaneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Here I was, thinking the biggest, "reportedly measured" solar flares via NASA, occurred in the year 2003.  hmm

Actually, it was in 1859 and is now referenced as the "1859 Event".

That was interesting to read about the 1859 event.
          I wonder why most science sites don't even reference it anymore?
          I did say "reportedly measured" solar flares or else old science websites wouldn't say stuff like this:  "The space-weather records set in the fall of 2003 included:
          The largest X-ray solar flare ever recorded.
          The fastest-moving solar storm ever. It splashed over us at nearly 6 million mph.
          The hottest storm ever. It was tens of millions of degrees as it doused Earth.
          The record solar storms that erupted in late October and early November, 2003, particularly the largest X-ray flare ever recorded, threatened power systems on the planet's surface and communications and weather satellites in orbit above Earth."
          I've read similar on NASA's website, but yet the solar storm in 1859 seemed to be the largest ever known.
          Ya know, there is no telling what the largest really was, since it most likely happened in ancient history and we obviously didn't have the means to scientifically measure such things, back then.
          I just thought it was funny, that a flare nowhere near as big as the one nearly 9 years ago, hits the media like we are on the brink of pandemonium or something.

2. Eric Newland profile image61
          Eric Newlandposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can tell you with authority that not a single GPS found satellite reception on that day.

1. Jason Marovich profile image88
            Jason Marovichposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My brother and I were listening to the news earlier today and when he heard about this latest phenomenon, he responded the same way he always does when something big is going on:  "See, the Mayans were right."

2. paradigmsearch profile image59

lol

4. paradigmsearch profile image59

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/ames/images/content/172235main_desert-3-hires.jpg
    New York this Friday.

5. MPG Narratives profile image61
    MPG Narrativesposted 12 years ago

We're having the worst floods in 50 years down here in Australia. After years of drought we welcomed the rain but this is ridiculous!

6. Greekgeek profile image79
    Greekgeekposted 12 years ago

I am getting bally tired of the news media's short-term memory. We have had a TON of large solar flares in the last year or so as the sun gears up for solar max in 2013, enough for them to learn that:

1. The sun is very large.
    2. Despite how it looks in the sky, it is 3 dimensional. It is round.
    3. So solar flares can erupt in any direction, like a rotating sprinkler.
    4. So we only really have to worry about the ones aimed at the earth, or rather, at the spot where the earth will be in a day or so.

And if they'd really dug down deep, they'd have learned that usually a CME splashes off the earth's magnetosphere and gets shunted towards the poles. CMEs are tough on satellites and the space station, but the ground is usually better protected. It takes an unusual set of circumstances to knock out the power grid and cause ground disruptions: a very large flare, aimed squarely at us, perpendicular to the earth's lines of force so it manages to clobber its way through our shielding. Then we may be in trouble on the scale of the 1859 Carrington Flare. Of course, it doesn't have to be that big to cause local grid disruptions; ask Quebec.

We COULD get smackerooed. Sooner or later, we will be -- it's happened before, after all.  But I will save my doom and gloom predictions for one that scientists describe as "appears to be aimed squarely at us" rather than "glancing blow."

ETA: oh, drat, this forecast differs from those I saw earlier today, which said glancing blow. Well, okay, maybe this is one of those we need to worry about. I'm still a little skeptical, as that article claims the sun has been relatively quiet lately. There have been new big flares every month or so lately ... I can tell the instant they smack into the media magnetosphere, because my solar flare hub's traffic spikes. wink

Me, too. big_smile

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/0912/tethys4_cassini_big.jpg
      Earth this Saturday.

7. Heather1956 profile image60
    Heather1956posted 12 years ago

I like the "doomed!" part.

8. paradigmsearch profile image59

Anybody seen any auroras?

The way things are so exaggerated and hyped-up during this grand year of 2012 doom,  a simple firework exploding in the sky, may count for an aurora nowadays.   Hold on a second, I still got some fireworks from last year!  Okay...  I'm about to light up the sky...  Shhhhhhh... Pow!  There ya go; yeah, I seen one...  lol

9. Paradise7 profile image69
    Paradise7posted 12 years ago

A quote from John Irving's "Cider House Rules":

"I'm still wating and seeing..."

10. paradigmsearch profile image59

First will come the auroras, and then the Triffids.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)