Indoctrinated, robot or slave?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (28 posts)
  1. mischeviousme profile image60
    mischeviousmeposted 12 years ago

I read the comments of the christian writers on hub pages and I'm taken aback. The lack of self-criticism and their fear of having an opinion, is heart breaking. Their respective churches have erased whatever mind they started out with and left behind programable, robotic shells. It's one thing to propose a God/god, it's another to remove critical thinking. They become slaves to the idea, leaving behind good hard rational thinking. The church instilled the fear for free thought, giving people the idea that they were free to think only of God/god.

1. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am very much with you on this one, but hasten to point out that even "the church" is made up of persons.  It is persons that perpetuate a way of thinking and reacting.  "The Church" is made up of people like Barbara and other staunch christians who, as you say, get "The lack of self-criticism and their fear of having an opinion," mode.  A good expression -  "programable, robotic shells," describes them to a T.  I was in that mode once.  My robot was thrown out with other metal, for recycling.

2. getitrite profile image71
      getitriteposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yet I have seen believers who adhere to rigid dogmas, while simultaneously believing in UFO's

1. Insane Mundane profile image58
        Insane Mundaneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh dear, are you telling me that you don't believe that there is life on other planets?  If not, how does the fact that there are anal-probing aliens out there in the cosmos with mad utensils (lube not included) and nifty flying saucers along with laser technology that could scorch a genital wart from 100,000 yards away with ease, effect earth-bound religions?
        You should know by now, most religions can expound and expand, when they need to...  It's part of the ambiguity of it all; LOL!

1. profile image0

I have always suspected that the Aliens are all on Uranus!

mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I thought the aliens just crossed to border....

With insanity, anything is possible.

3. Shinkicker profile image54
      Shinkickerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well said mischievousme. Totally agree

mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It appears to be true, though I would never make such a claim, if I didn't see it as true myself.

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

Interesting. So, let me get this straight. They read a book and decide it is real. Choose to follow it and they are therefore programmed robots. We'll set aside the fact that we can't provide proof that they all agree on everything....we'll simply take your word for it at this point.

I don't see a lot of deviation in your opinion and johnny come lately's. It appears you guys agree on everything. Are you robots? Who programmed you two?

1. profile image0

It's not in their reading of a book, and deciding it is real, and then choosing to follow it.  That is fair, reasonable and totally respected. 

However, it's when a person becomes so "indoctrinated" in that book, and stops looking beyond the book to what else is so obvious in the world, that I think they resemble robots. 

How many christians really appreciate the world in which we live.  How many devote their lives to protecting the natural environment and the plethora of living things that live beside us, each having a deserved place in the "grand scheme of things?"

Christianity or, my preferred description christism, has become totally human-centered.  It's single-minded as preached by many christians.  In this respect, I do agree with mischeviousme.  The robotic mind has become the norm.

There are, of course, exceptions and I respect those individuals, even if I don't agree with them.

1. Druid Dude profile image59
        Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sure am glad I'm not one a them thar christians! Do they really eat their young?

1. profile image0

tongue lol  Maybe in some branches of the church!  I don't know.  I would prefer a Mars Bar any day.

2. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We may be talking and oranges here. Most people who live around here are Christians. They seem pretty normal, by my standards. Most everyone recycles and takes their own bags to the store.

Could you tell me what you have done to reduce your carbon footprint? What you've done for the environment? What species have you single handedly saved from extinction? That information might help me understand where you are coming from.

3. profile image0
    jonnycomelatelyposted 12 years ago

Sure, thanks for those questions. 

"Most everyone recycles and takes their own bags to the store."  Well, that's a good start.  They could also look at the other plastics which are used with wild abandonment, like the stuff which gets dropped in the street and finds its way into the rivers and oceans.  There the garbage creates havoc with other animals and birds, when it gets sucked in or eaten or wrapped around the animals' bodies and causes them to die a horrible death.  All this happens because those people in charge of manufacturing don't give a damn, in many cases, because their main objective is quick, hefty profits.  I would see it as a duty, of every one of us, to think of the other living things as a part of this world.  We humans are NOT the most important species, yet we are the most destructive.  Christians, think on this!

In my own small way, I try to leave a small footprint from my lifestyle.  I occupy a very small dwelling, befitting just a single guy.  I use solar power for most of my electrical needs.  I have 160 square feet of roof collecting area which gives me all the water I need.  I use a composting toilet, and obtain extremely good fertiliser for use in the garden, VERY safely, with no pollution of the environment.  My grey water is treated by nature, to give me further fertiliser and recycled water for the garden.  Yet my postings are not about me.  My efforts are a tiny speck in the ocean.

I would asking anyone who proclaims his/her self as a christian, to stop worrying about any theoretical possibility of "life after death," and instead concentrate on caring for this beautiful world during the short time of physical life you are blessed with.  Anything less than this would, in my opinion, be the worst possible sin if there ever was such a thing.

1. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey. I'm impressed. That's a big step you've taken. I think you probably outstretch the rest of us.

And I agree. Whatever may, or may not, lie beyond is of little importance to the here and now. This planet is all we can know for a fact that we've all got. We should do everything we can to take care of it.

2. Hollie Thomas profile image61
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm not a christian Jonnycomelately, but I really like this post.

4. vector7 profile image60
    vector7posted 12 years ago

Not a single Christian here and I still get all your attention?

Sweet. I don't even need to say anything anymore, just keep my profile right and the unbelievers keep me and mine in the spotlight.

Thx.

God bless you all and I love you, you crazy people you.  wink

smile

1. mizjo profile image64
      mizjoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What's started all this Christian-bashing?  Has there been a revival of the Inquisition I haven't heard about?
      Have you heard about the number of religions adhered to by this country of maybe 300 million, give or take?  At any time, if you stand in a street corner and see an adult just drop his empty bottle or paper bag on the ground while a few steps away there is a trash can, does he have a cross on his garment, or a Star or David or a crescent moon?  Maybe a print of Krishna, a chant to Manitou, a statue of Buddha? How about a large red picture of Beelzebub with horns and tail?
      Who did Johnnycomelately say was indoctrinated?  If firm honest belief in your religion is indoctrination, Johnny, are you one of the free non-indoctrinated people with no beliefs at all?  What does that make you?  I am religious enough not to label you; it's against my religion, which teaches me to be generous and kind.  And yes, I am a Catholic, therefore a Christian, or follower of Christ.
      Long before 'recycling' was a popular word and a worldwide phenomenon, I was a recycler.  Things like a milk gallon jug saw several uses before being discarded when too broken down to be useful any more.
      To Mischievousme:  does this make me a 'robotic shell', with no capacity for 'hard rational thinking'?  And no, I am not free to 'think only of God'.  I also think about the poverty in the world, the state of this country, the next election, the abortion issue, and the pathos of the free-thinker.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58
        A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Christians, of course.

The Inquisitions were the results of the actions of Christians.

Sane.

Sorry to hear that.

Most likely mischievousme was referring to matters of the unexplained.

And do you think GOD has a hand in all of the things you mentioned above?  Is Christ the answer?

3. profile image0

WOW!

1. Druid Dude profile image59
          Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am a willing servant. Should I choose to serve no longer, well, that's fine too.

4. profile image0

Yes, mizjo, you are right, partly.... I have tarred "christians" with the one brush, sorry for not saying "some" christians.  I am sure there are a goodly number of believers who are trying to do the right thing, to the best of their ability.

I heard someone on the radio today, saying something similar to what I have written, my short-term memory is a bit lacking, so I can't remember the exact words.  However the gist of their words was, stop wasting time arguing about what the bible says, instead concentrate on cleaning up your back yard.  This could and should apply to each and everyone of us, regardless of beliefs.

5. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

There is all kinds of robot indoctrination. Class, culture, education, progressive elitism, economic, or any people who hold themselves separate from others justify with indoctrination.

6. mischeviousme profile image60
  7. mizjo profile image64
    mizjoposted 12 years ago

Johnnycomelately, I presume Christians are the only people you know where you live, and that some of them must have hurt you because of your preferences. I am very sorry for that. You seem to me to be a responsible, earth-loving person, as am I.

I believe in loving this our earthly home, I believe in the next home in the after life, I believe in God, I believe in Christ's teaching, that Charity is the greatest Commandment of all.

A Troubled Man, sorry for your troubles. If you think having no beliefs is being sane, you need to look further than your nose.

Christian-bashing was started by Christians?  Would those be you and the other smarter-than-thou's on the page?

Sure, of course the Inquisition was started by the Christians, specifically the insane, extremist Catholic clergy. The history of the western world is bound up in the insanity of the extremists in every religious faction, Catholic, Church of England, Puritan, Hitlerist. I include the last because that devil was regarded as a god-head by his sybarites. They have all invented the most sadistic instruments of torture possible to inflict maximum pain on humans. None of them is excusable, comprehensible or condonable. I am very ashamed of the part played by the Catholic Church.  I would like to believe the perpetrators are paying for their excesses in the after-life. Yes, they believed in the after life.

But should Christians burn their Bible because of what their ancestors practised hundreds of years ago?  Should we all abandon the many works of charity we do to help the poor because centuries ago we might have beheaded their ancestors because they practised a different religion from ours?

If you really want to study Religion and Philosophy, go join some discussion group and stop talking so spuriously about a serious subject. Aliens, robots, flying saucers - leave them to children.

8. mischeviousme profile image60

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)