5 things you wish you'd known earlier about hubpages

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (41 posts)
  1. Kiwi Max profile image63
    Kiwi Maxposted 12 years ago

Hi!

My name is Max and I'm new to hubpages.

For all you experienced hubbers out there, do you have any advice for young hubbers like myself getting started in hubpages and fitting in?

Cheers,

Max

1. Greekgeek profile image79
      Greekgeekposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How to hook up adsense and Amazon Associates correctly. It's possible my hubs didn't make sales for three years, but I can't believe  I made no adsense revenue in all that time. I fixed my profile settings last summer, so my  earnings here only go back to June. *facepalm*

Always check and triple-check to make sure your payment info is all set correctly. Back then it was just a hobby, and I was writing simply to write, so I din't worry about it. But in retrospect, I must've earned a good chunk of cash for someone-- and it was't me!

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

Write your butt off now, and read read read. In a year you'll be glad you did both.

And Google does not give a hoot how special you think you are. If people aren't Googling it, you'll never make money from it.

I wrote a 2500 word hub on all the things I wish I'd known.

Kiwi Maxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Wrylilt.

I like how you said -> "Google does not give a hoot how special you think you are. If people aren't googling it, you'll never make money from it"

Is there a program that let's you know what people are searching?

Cheers,

Max

1. lobobrandon profile image88
        lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've written a video hub to help you find what people are searching for. But, make sure to never flood your hubs with keywords. Let the writing flow naturally. Read it out to yourself if you find it reading odd - You've manipulated for Search engines and you're doing a bad job!

2. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Check my profile. smile

Great stuff, thank you!

3. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 12 years ago

That it's hard work, that its going to be a long haul, that traffic can go down as well as up, that you are going to meet some great people along the way, that you are going to get frustrated with your writing, tat you are going to feel like you have run out of ideas at times, so ultimately you have love what you are doing.

The key thing - this is not a get rich quick scheme!  But as you can see many of us have been around for for a fair bit, despite our whinging at times, as it can be fairly addictive! smile

4. melbel profile image94
    melbelposted 12 years ago

Read all you can in the Learning Center and take part in the WTI.

WTI?

WTI - Weekly Topic Inspiration

ah thank you! Where would I find this?

Its a forum thread - They're usually highlighted on the top of the forums (in blue)

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/94967

5. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

Don't get into heated arguments in the politics and religious threads. If you do participate just walk away, if it gets a little hot in there.

As for the rest, I believe everyone pretty much summed it up. smile

Haha you can't post more than 3 posts for sure in those threads without being insulted or condemned smile

I stay out of them

haha,

thx I'll remember that!

6. Healthy Pursuits profile image78
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 12 years ago

Not that I'm any expert, but this is my advice for now:

1. Write good content that has some depth and interesting visual appeal to it - none of those 400 word hubs!
    2. Read the information in the Hub Pages and Tutorials Community topic.
    3. Review different parts of it over again as you learn more from using HP.
    4. Follow the advice given to you as you create more hubs.
    5. If you're looking for income, have patience. Think of yourself as starting out invisible, and slowly solidifying over a period of months. (Right now, after writing in earnest for about four months - I'm a slow writer by the way - You can still see general shapes in the background through my belly. smile

7. kpaigehedrick profile image57
    kpaigehedrickposted 12 years ago

no worries so am i, and the person who created this website is my own mom ahah.

Ah yes, Must remember Patience...

...so how long will that take? wink

1. Healthy Pursuits profile image78
        Healthy Pursuitsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, as they say, don't hold your breath.. lol

8. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years ago

the importance of reading as much as possible

begin commenting on hubs you read with meaningful comments

use word program for copy then transfer to text capsule

experimenting within your hub on layout as much as copy

reach out for help and do not fear turning to other hubbers for help

It helps if, when you've used Word to create your hub text, you copy it into Notepad, then copy that cleaned text into HP.  That helps to keep odd code from finding its way into your hub,while still using the features that Word can help you with, such as spell check, grammar check, auto replace, etc.

I find just one problem and that is the extra line space that appears on the hubs when copied from word. I just edit each capsule again and then delete the space.

I had no trouble copying directly from Word for several hubs. Then I had one hub that was a mess with odd characters. I couldn't find anything that would cause it. When I went looking for answers in HP, I think I found this solution in the forums someplace. I had to delete the offending hub. So I thought I'd get this info out there when it seems appropriate, to help others avoid the frustration.

Oh! The only problem with me is the extra spacing. But, if at all that happens I know what to do smile Just have to copy it into a simple text editor as you say - I read it on the learning center when I was new - or it may have been the forums not sure smile

2. profile image0
        kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

thanks! smile

9. Shanna11 profile image74
    Shanna11posted 12 years ago

For me, having joined two months ago, I feel that I'm finally getting the hang of Hubpages. I feel comfortable and enjoy it. I wish I would have known that the religion and politics forums should be avoided, that making friends makes Hubpages a lot more enjoyable, that quality content that gets google searched a lot will provide decent revenue...

A lot of Hubpages knowledge comes in its own time and it's something you need to learn for yourself. People gave me lots of advice when I was new, but I tended to ignore a lot of it. Learning it on my own helped a lot.

Welcome!

10. Kiwi Max profile image63
    Kiwi Maxposted 12 years ago

Thanks everyone!

I am Learning smile

Writing all these down so I won't forget them.

11. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 12 years ago

If I were to begin anew with the knowledge I have now I would,

1) Make it fun no matter what
    2) Take the time to read the learning center in its entirety. Mind you I didn't say study. I said read.
    3) Decide the main interest desired to write on/about, while keeping in mind that will expand
    4) Write a simple intro profile page saying enough to be comfortable with and why you are here.
    5) Write your first article remembering you have the 'power' to delete

I have to add a 6th, then read everything you can here and elsewhere on that interest while keeping the interest in focus. (whisper whisper Take a peak at Muddy Rudd's article on Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs)

have fun, fun, fun, on your journey along many paths of exploration and discoveries while learning and sharing along the way. . .

That's a very good point, Tsmog!

Make it fun - You have to love what you do to do it well.

12. manlypoetryman profile image82
    manlypoetrymanposted 12 years ago

1. That poetry and short fiction...don't make any money on here...traditionally.
    2. That all the hubber friends you made at first will be long gone after a year.
    3. That they will keep adding these little buttons and other little "ranking" things...a few years after you have joined...that will show up on your profile page.
    4. That people don't like to add comments to older hubs...no matter how many hits they get a day!
    5. That shorter poetry works will not rank...like other hubs!

1. profile image0

MPM

these are awesome!

smile

1. manlypoetryman profile image82
        manlypoetrymanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi KL...big_smile!

1. profile image0

I wanna hub on a tractor too manly, unfair!

You well?

Hi Kim,

What's an MPM?

13. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

There are two things I wish I had known about Hubpages.

One is, this is a tremendously powerful platform to write on. Articles here can do 10 times or more better than they would do on your own blog or website.

Two, title is all-important, assuming you are a good writer who can write useful content. I have read some great stuff here that has failed because their title did not fully reflect the content.

Online is not the place for fanciful magazine article type headers, if your hub is about butterflies, for example, use the word in the title. Calling them flutterbyes or other artistic names will mean losing a potential audience.

Somewhere in your title should be the words that searchers can find.

Learning those things are what changed my online experience here.

Flutterbyes ROFL!

14. manlypoetryman profile image82
    manlypoetrymanposted 12 years ago

Yes KL...good to see ya'...and you?

It's fun to hub on a tractor...you should deff...give it a try!

were the pauses the times you were looking back on the road? lol

1. manlypoetryman profile image82
        manlypoetrymanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How'd ya' guess?

15. ftclick profile image55
    ftclickposted 12 years ago

That is so true. Make it read natural like you are talking.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)