Are Guys Afraid of Short Hair? By BeautyRiot Diva | Beauty

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (35 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

I don't think they are afraid..just not attracted to it.
    According to the writer of this article, men think women with short hair look like dudes...roll

"But why don't straight men like short hair? According to one study done at the University of Pecs in Hungary, men overwhelming prefer long hair to short, and researchers think this may have something to do with the idea that long hair means good genes, since it takes years to grow healthy, long, thick hair."
    http://shine.yahoo.com/beauty/guys-afra … 00368.html

1. tsmog profile image85
      tsmogposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is a very provactive question Stacie. Simply put I am not afraid of short hair. I wan't when younger either. I am not attracted to as short as Sinéad O'Connor's or Demi Moore in GI Jane.

Who comes to mind when I think of an attractive woman with short hair is Halle Berry or Winona Ryder strikes a chord. Thinking about it while jotting this down I don't think attractive is the word I would use. Fascinated is really what it is for me. I am fascinated with a woman with shorter hair.

But, I like long hair too. So many thoughts on this right now.

1. couturepopcafe profile image61
        couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Excellent observation. A fascination with short haired women by intelligent men may stem from the idea that a woman free from the pack mentality of standardized femininity is a woman who is an independent thinker, smart, easy going, carefree, self-sufficient, adventurous, among other things. That's not to say that long-haired woman aren't any of those things, but this is the perception. Also the idea of exposing the back of the neck is as provocative as exposing the ankles was a century ago.

2. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

ditto roll

but I will add that I read a study not too long ago that when men were asked what the most sensual part of a woman was, grand majority said hair

but I'm confused hmm: is short hair not sensual?

lol

2. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

My father is the only man I've ever met who hates long hair on women. He says it's annoying and gets in the way.

IMO, there are very few people, men and women, who can carry very long hair well.

3. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 12 years ago

I tend to like answers that get to sensory modality and biological underpinnings. It's always a nature vs. nurture thing in the end, but I think the underlying biology is probably why short hair never catches on in a big, big way on a broad, broad spectrum for very long. It's pretty hard to ignore hard-wiring. At least on the first-glance kind of level. Once you get to know someone, that stuff sort of fades out if other bits of attraction start lighting up.

4. Stacie L profile image89

Men who are only attracted to women with long hair are biologically rooted to looking for a healthy female and long hair signal health and vitality...yeah....they also like young chicks...wink

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
      Shadesbreathposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe, but this took me 2 seconds to find:

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6364877_f520.jpg

My wife is in her mid forties like me, and she has long hair and looks amazing too (unlike me). So, tongue

5. Stacie L profile image89

Interesting thought; most women in the forties and fifties wore their hair short,even teens.
    The stars in the photos are trying to portray youth and vitality in today's youth-obsessed culture...I do agree woman should wear their hair anyway they want but some look silly..oh well

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
      Shadesbreathposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just for the fun of argument, I would posit that when you say that older women wearing longer hair are "trying to portray youth" you are actually imposing an age limit on hair length and how it relates to female sexuality/esteem/aesthetic/etc., the underlying assumption there being that a more "natural" or "realistic" hair length for older women should be "short" and, equally prescriptive, that "youth and vitality" are represented by long hair. How is either any less arbitrary than the other?

big_smile

Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

hey these aren't my rules.
        men look for women with long hair because it usually means youth.
        I say everyone wear their hair any way they want to..wink

1. tsmog profile image85

After posting my comment yesterday I made an effort to catch myself through the day to see which I was grabbed by first. Focusing on hair as the 'attraction getter' so to speak my double takes were with women with short hair.

My longer 'stares' were with women with the wild looking kinda' mid to short look with a bunch of wavy curls - wild maybe?

Then I asked myself who am I most comfortable with. Making myself vulnerable I am most comfortable with those with long hair. I am most uncomfortable with those of shorter hair length - including long hair worn up. And the mid length to shorter wavy, curly hair plain and simply brought out those 'horny' feelings smile

Why? I said to myself. Because I am fascinated with the 'inner person' revealed socially? 'aha' It is harder for me as a male to keep those inappropriate social thoughts out of my mind. (Intellectual speaking) with those of mid to short length - generally speaking.

I am more comfortable with women wearing a tad longer than mid length to long. Why? Does wife or girl friend or mom come into play? Fear is a funny thing. So, I made a list of questions.

Am I afraid of women with short hair?
          Am i afraid of the feeling I experience with women of short hair?
          Does that reveal something about me?
          Which would I be most comfortable with in a casual conversation?
          What is or are the purposes of how a woman wears her hair?

OK, adding humor to this. My wife better have long hair. Otherwise we will never get any sleep smile

smile You've opened up a good perspective here. IMO, and this is just an educated guess, women with short hair are more intimidating because they are more powerful. There is a sexual power in long hair but that's easy to have anyway just being a woman. The idea that a woman can literally cut off her sexual power symbol, her hair, shows that she is confident in her own right and not dependant upon using sex as a means of power. This can be intimidating to a man who, whether consciously or subconsciously, has been taught that while her power lies in her sexuality, his lies in his power as a man, in his gender. If he cannot overpower her in some way, there is equality and this type of gender equality, sexual equality, takes a very strong and confident personality, one unhindered by societal stereotypes on part of the male and female.

2. SylvanHills profile image60
      SylvanHillsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

For some reason I find this subject interesting. When I read the yahoo article it lead to my joining here.My 3 daughters constantly change their hairstyles.I learned a long time ago not to ask how much.My ex once said her Brazilian Blowout changed her life???  I've been told women in mid-life specifically chose styles to hide wrinkles..youth.So I agree with that statement. I also like hair length pass the neck(is that consider long) but I'm not in the young chick liking group.I had a good natured laugh about that one.I find woman with longer hair more feminine...softer features. Still not sure about the idea of "Rules". Just glad as a man my short  grey haircut can be defined as "Distinguished"..whew!

1. tsmog profile image85

I get a #3 for my hair cut and a #2 for my  beard. I use to be a bearded long hair hippie once. All kinds of hair styles. Adding to your 'man thing' statement, yup - short. Easy. Simple care. Economical. etc.

It must be interesting having daughters changing their hair styles. Social influence within their cliques? Media? Models? What age groups or school environment? How receptive would they be to a group interview?

Oh, glad you joined too! Welcome!

6. profile image58
    jonhyhvaftnposted 12 years ago

nice job big_smile

7. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

maybe for men long hair for women connotes feminine characteristics and they prefer it

8. Stacie L profile image89

This article hit home for me since I cut my hair short a few weeks ago.
    I have  noticed a different reaction from men; and not so many compliments.
    I think there's some truth to men liking longer hair..and I don't look good in short hair..roll

Hey, I did the same thing. I've had long hair all my life and would literally cry if a haircutter cut it wrong. In the past 2 years, I've been going shorter and shorter, and feeling more and more free. What a slave I've been to the long hair! Having the hair really short and sort of fringy, like a fairy, is so cool in more ways than one. And the unexpected part is that I like what I see.

9. smzclark profile image62
    smzclarkposted 12 years ago

Both my husband and my sister's husband prefer us with short hair. I think that some people suit short hair and some people suit it long. I had mine done very short (like I'd never before had it) a couple of years ago and kept it that way ever since. I've only been complimented and had just as much positive attention from the men. But I have also heard from some male friends that the main reason for them liking long hair is that they can pull it during---as a form of bondage---and they like the feel of it brushing against their bodies etc.

Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

sounds like the caveman stereotype one sees in cartoons...the woman being dragged by the man...lol

Let's face it, long hair is very sensual, on men and women. Even guys with the long on top style are sexy to me. But there comes a time when we have to face the reality of lifestyle. I'm ready for the revolution and don't want my hair to get in the way. Freakin' bugs, twigs, tangles, pulling on my scalp, hair in the carpet and food, cleaning it up everywhere all the time, cost of products, and time to maintain. Ugg. It's just a matter of mindset. Everyone's looking for the fantasy. Just change your fantasy. Hah!

10. L.Lawyer profile image60
    L.Lawyerposted 12 years ago

apparently, in new york science magazine they said men prefer women with long hair because in neandathal times it was a good sign of fertility for long hair to be softer than an ordinary.
    and in vogue magazine (2008 winter edition) they said " its unattractive and useless in bed, nothing to hold on to means nothing to fantasise"

11. perpetuallearner profile image61
    perpetuallearnerposted 12 years ago

Short hair on women CAN be intimidating. Have you heard of the term "power hair"? It's what some people call the short bobs worn by powerful women like Hillary Clinton, Condoleeza Rice and Margaret Thatcher, and it can be hard to approach women who remind you of such powerful women. On the upside, I guess you get to screen off guys who don't have much self-confidence.

1. L.Lawyer profile image60
      L.Lawyerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

but men with no self confidence are merely great men who havent worked out how truly great they are yet smile

Aw, that's cute and too true. So each to his own level. The women who have found their greatness and have chosen the short hair because there's so much else to do other than take care of hair, have found something,too

12. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years ago

long hair is very feminine I agree to that.  smile

13. profile image0

I think dudes got us beat with the comb-over

You go Trump  lol

14. profile image0

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6384494.jpg

1. Rufus rambles profile image70
      Rufus ramblesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Long hair is definitely associated with femininity. When I shaved my head the amount of shocked comments, yelled insults from cars etc. astounded me! Then men were almost traumatized who knew me with long hair. At that point I didn't care and thought "Good they are not attracted to me" that's the idea. So mission accomplished! But now my hair is long again and I'm happy with that. Hair is very symbolic and carries a lot of meaning in the colour, style and way we choose to wear it. Great question!

1. profile image0

great post and so true +1 big_smile

2. couturepopcafe profile image61

But that hair in the picture is not sexy or attractive, IMO. It's just hair and too much of it. That's definately a cultural thing. Asian women are very ultra feminine in the submissive quiet sense, at least the type portrayed above. Western women rock.

1. profile image0

It was a joke hmm:

15. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

Who cares?  As a woman, you'll wear your hair long or short because you want it that way.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)