Why do ladies cut their hair so short as they age?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (20 posts)
  1. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 9 years ago

Why do ladies cut their hair so short as they age?

I've noticed I almost never see a woman over 60 with long hair, even when they look like they are in great shape and wouldn't have trouble keeping it up. Why is this? Is this the average or just what I have been seeing?

2. lisavollrath profile image93
    lisavollrathposted 9 years ago

I keep mine short because it's easier. It takes less time to wash and care for short hair, and less time to style it. I'm also more than 50% grey, and my grey hairs are coarse and wiry, which I think looks better short than long.

1. peeples profile image93
      peeplesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, I had no idea that grey could come out a different texture.

2. lisavollrath profile image93
      lisavollrathposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Grey is often a different texture. It's not silky and shiny, which is why long grey hair often looks flat and dull. And it can be wiry, which makes it difficult to control.

3. fpherj48 profile image61
      fpherj48posted 9 years agoin reply to this

When my sister's hair re-grew after losing it all thru Chemo...What was once dk brown-w/grey straight hair...all came in a beautiful PURE white & CURLY...soft perfect curls.  That was however, temporary.

3. M. T. Dremer profile image84
    M. T. Dremerposted 9 years ago

I also noticed that there seems to be a default dog for older women as well. Small with light curly hair and big dark eyes.

But, I think the hair is a combination of convenience and style they grew up with.

4. deecoleworld profile image73
    deecoleworldposted 9 years ago

I guess because its easier to maintain and perhaps makes them look younger (and more put together/sophisticated). I think older women with long hair looks older. I have seen a lot of older women  with longer hair (especially when they have gray hair) and the hair ages them.

1. fpherj48 profile image61

When I see a woman OBVIOUSLY (visibly) mid to late 40's or older, in a mini skirt 12 lbs of makeup, false lashes,nails & gawdy jewelry ..I have to silently smile. My Dad would always say, "Give her a break, she's trying to make a come-back." LOL!

2. MizBejabbers profile image88
      MizBejabbersposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I do agree with that, Paula, but it's kind of ridiculous on the younger women I see in my office. I don't think it is very professional.

3. deecoleworld profile image73
      deecoleworldposted 9 years agoin reply to this

hahaha @ come-back part!!! I admire most older women that do, BUT some should just stop because they look crazy!!! I know when I get older I would not be cutting my hair, I may even color it crazy colors just because!!!!

5. ChristinS profile image41
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

I don't know, it could be a texture thing.  My mother has always had the most beautiful thick hair, but hers is much coarser than mine ever was and as she got older, her greys were even moreso and so she started cutting it chin length.  I love my longer hair *usually* and so I don't think I'll ever cut it short, but never say never I guess.  I know a lot of women have hair that thins as they get older also and shorter hair looks fuller.

6. Sparklea profile image60
    Sparkleaposted 9 years ago

Peeples, I was raised by my grandparents....the nightmare of my hair...ALWAYS SHORT...THOSE AWFUL BOX PERMS!
    If I live to be 100 I will NEVER have short hair.  Older women have remarked to me in the past, "as you get older you should have your hair cut shorter."  WHAT???  Under who's authority?
    As each year passes, I am determined to be myself.  Myself is NOT short hair.
    I have a very close friend who used to have long permed hair...she looked beautiful.  Then she got it cut...way, way short.  I loathe it but I have never told her. 
    You are correct.  Even women in their forties and fifties have short hair.  I cannot stand short hair on a woman. 
    I don't know if you watch The Big Bang Theory comedy, but the Penny character had beautiful long hair.  Now it is super short and I can't stand to look at her.  I will never get used to it.  I loathe it.
    All of this is just my personal opinion.  Thanks for a great question, Sparklea

1. MizBejabbers profile image88
      MizBejabbersposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You look great in long hair in your photo, Sparklea. I wouldn't advise you to cut it either, but if you saw me in long hair... Even my 5th grade school pic with shoulder-length hair screams "cut, cut!"

7. profile image0
    Daniella Lopezposted 9 years ago

I would assume it has a bit to do with their hair getting thinner and more brittle as they age. Also, it probably has a little to do with convenience.

8. OldRoses profile image93
    OldRosesposted 9 years ago

Long hair emphasizes the lines and wrinkles in your face that develop as you grow older.  Middle aged women wear their hair short because long hair makes them look older.  It is also recommended that if you are a dark brunette and color your hair to hide gray, that you use a lighter color because dark hair also emphasizes facial lines and wrinkles.

9. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 9 years ago

as old people reach that age, they cut short their hair bcoz can't stand the heat. My mom and mother in law cut their hair at 60 years old.

10. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 9 years ago

I wouldn't even assume to know why women have long, short or medium length hair....regardless of their age.  Hair, length, color and style, I have always believed is by choice for any multitude of reasons.
    Throughout my life I have had all of the above, but much more often, and for longer periods of time, I keep it fairly short.
    My reason is simple.  I look better, younger and more "Me" with my hair short.  It suits my face shape, my personality and lifestyle.  Also for me, it has much to do with the texture.  My long hair and I never got along well.  So I made peace with it, said Good Bye and have had my short do for at least 20 years. I wash it, towel dry it, run my fingers through it and I refuse to fight with it...so, it has enough body, wave and gratitude to look just fine by having it's own way!  LMAO!

11. cianeko profile image84
    cianekoposted 9 years ago

My mom does this. And I heard that it's because it's easier to comb and that it lessens the humid feeling in times when high temperature (we're from a tropical country) is apparent. In addition, it's also for economical reason because shorter hair means less use of shampoo and conditioner. I hope this answers your question :-)

12. MizBejabbers profile image88
    MizBejabbersposted 9 years ago

Being an older woman myself, I think I can answer this question. Society pressures us to keep it short. Check out all the articles written that women over 45 or 50 should not wear long hair. They claim that it makes older women look even older. Some even go so far as to accuse us of trying to "recapture our youth". I wish Hillary would get her hair cut short again. It was so flattering to her face.
    As for myself, I have almost always worn my hair short. My parents kept my hair short when I was a child, but in high school, I resisted their pressure long enough to grow a foot-long ponytail. That lasted about a year. When I saw my photo with that ponytail in my freshman college annual, off the hair came.
    Next in my early 30s, for a couple of years I grew hair that reached the middle of my back. I did that mostly because as a single parent, I couldn't afford to get it cut. Then in the 80s I went for a Farah Faucett do. When I saw my photo and how unflattering all those wings and curls were, and had Mr B telling me I looked like a cocker spaniel, I got a short haircut. Now I wear my hair short and naturally straight because I realize how silly I look in curls.
    I asked my hair stylist why so many of his old lady customers wore 1960s teased-up bubbles, and he said it was because they don't know how to fix their own hair. They come in once a week and get their bubble done and it has to last the week. Unbelievable!
    I will say that after I retire I may not be able to afford a haircut every six weeks, and my hair may be allowed to grow regardless of what the fashionistas say. I do look pretty good in a French braid.

1. fpherj48 profile image61

MzB...I watch for the sale ads w/ $$-off coupons from the "walk-in" salons like Fantastic Sams, etal.  Also most of them give a Sen Cit disc  Between the disc & coupon it ends up costing about $8.00 shampoo & cut/blow dry!!  smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)