The bible vs the comic book

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (23 posts)
  1. mischeviousme profile image61
    mischeviousmeposted 12 years ago

What's the difference, why would either ever be taken seriously?

1. pisean282311 profile image63
      pisean282311posted 12 years agoin reply to this

u r insulting my faith...i believe super man is savior of the world...

mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol I was waiting for a good reply... You just made my morning. thanks...

2. sunkentreasure profile image65
      sunkentreasureposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Bible is the only book

where the Author is present every time we read it!

Be thankful for each day God gives you

because every breath is a miracle.

When you pray, God sends angels.

Remember…God's mighty power

is only a prayer away!

When you look at the world

through eyes of love

you will see God's intelligence everywhere!

Sincerely from the heart

Bernard Levine

how many other book have u read?....authors of bible where mortals...how do u get author present 2k yrs down the line while reading book written by mortals?....neither jesus nor whom jesus called father wrote bible....

2. gregas profile image81
        gregasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

God is NOT the author of the Bible. IF he does exist, that has never been proven, he was the inspiration for the Bible, but never the author. Even though I am not religious, I don't agree with comparing it to a comic book either. There are people that believe in the Bible and it is not fair to insult their beliefs. My opinion, Greg

I'm not insulting the belief, I'm calling out the basis of it. I don't hate christianity, I just disapprove of what people have done with it and I don't see why the title is so important either.

2. profile image0
          Hubert Williamsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree, God is not the author of the Bible. He is only credited with the The Ten Commandents (not the movie). Scholars, scribes and whoever had something to say that would corroborate their accounts, wrote the bible. I am not saying that the Bible is a wrong history of the events that transpired. I am only saying that the books of the old and new testaments are not the complete history of the events.  Many of the books of the Bible were written many years after the events from memories and notes. Many of the stories and other accounts of the events have ever been made public. The fact that I believe that Jesus is the Son of a Livng God and my pathway to Heaven has nothing to do with the Bible. The belief was planted in my heart in spite of the Bible. If there is a Heaven, and I am allowed to go there, it will be because God approved of the way I have lived my life and the extent and depth of my acceptance of the sacrifice His Son made for the world.

3. Deborah Brooks profile image61
        Deborah Brooksposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow.. the bible should not be compared to a comic book God is the inspiration for the bible. He had men write it that was inspired ...that's my opinion..Thank you

1. Paul Wingert profile image61
          Paul Wingertposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Bible is a lot like a comic book. They both tell wild stories of fantasy and super heros. What makes the Bible differnet is that 75% of it contains death threats to the reader and doesn't contain cool drawings.

Good one +1

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

Oh dear. There is a world of difference. The Bible is an historical document that has a great deal of depth in philosophy. There is much to be learned, on many levels. Comic books are on a completely different level. They exist, mostly, for their entertainment value only.

I could be completely off base here. I think the only comic book I ever enjoyed was Richie Rich and Conan the Barbarian. So, maybe there are some deep philosophical heroes in the Marvel collection that I am not aware of.

There's the sandman from DC's vertigo line, Shade the changing man and many others can be found under the same title. The point of the thread is this;

If one can believe there is an omnipotent super being, in any form of writing, then what separates it from any other work of fiction?

They were both inspired by a lonely mind, each upon a daydream, created daydreams for the rest of us.

2. profile image0
      jomineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You should try Calvin and Hobbes.

3. profile image0
      jomineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

He should have asked bible and War and Peace or My name is Red or A tale of two cities or Gone with the wind or .......???

3. Claire Evans profile image63
    Claire Evansposted 12 years ago

Lol.  I can't really make a strong argument for the Old Testament but the New Testament passes a textual criticism test.  Places are real and so is Jesus, Pontius Pilate, etc.  Therefore it has to have more credibility than a comic book.

@claire suppose u read some comic book 2k years down the line which mentions obama , new york , sydney etc ...does it become real??

1. Claire Evans profile image63
        Claire Evansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I mentioned the people in the Bible because many people don't believe Jesus even existed let alone Pontius Pilate.  All historical documents have to pass a textual criticism test. 

Read more here:

http://www.y-jesus.com/jesusdoc_1.php

Comparing the New Testament to a comic book actually doesn't make sense.  Much of the OT is encrypted occult allegory and is taken from pagan sources.  I find it very hard to believe it's credible that the events there actually happened.  Balaam and his talking donkey actually reminds me of Shrek.   The Garden of Eden reminds me of "The Jungle Book".

The New testament reminds me of the Golden child, staring eddie murphey...

Don't get it, sorry.

2. mischeviousme profile image61

The Nam and Semper Fi by marvel comics were real stories in some issues, but I don't take them as spiritual material, their just fiction.

Clearly you don't know what I'm talking about.  Read here!

http://www.y-jesus.com/index.php

4. Eric Newland profile image59
    Eric Newlandposted 12 years ago

The Bible contains fewer retcons. Also fewer busty women in spandex, but on the other hand you do have the Song of Solomon.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)