Uncontrollable Tears: Is there something wrong with it?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (24 posts)
  1. unknown spy profile image44
    unknown spyposted 12 years ago

I've been feeling this since I was a child, but it became increasingly difficult to ignore now that i'm old. When I saw people on streets,especially old men and women, and then when i would look closely at them, it feels like their whole life -their sufferings,their emotions,their hardships-would pierce through my heart.Then my eyes would start spilling these precious tears. But not all people,its not that i'm choosing  them but I just know when I saw one. The thing is, I don't even know them, why would I cry or why would it feels i know that life has been hard on them? Its just that I can't control the tears.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image61
      prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe its hormonal, genetic or the social environment specially when you are growing up - socialization process. Are your parents compassionate too?

Do you actualize it, I mean do you go and help them too?

2. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like you are an empath.

unknown spyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

empath? is that good or bad?

1. IzzyM profile image87

I would say bad for you, unless you learn to shield yourself in some way.

Empaths tune into other people's emotions, but you seem to only feel their pain, not their joy. If these people have suffered great pain in their lives at one point or another, you feel it. That will explain your emotive response - their pain shocks you; that is why you are reduced to tears, you feel it afresh just as if it is yours.

Somehow or other, you will need to learn to block out the sufferings of others, for your own sanity.

yeah, i think you're right..i've researched some topics bout empath and it sound im one. My mom told me to stop thinking abut it, but i just cant help it. and it stays in my mind. as if i could see and feel the life they have. oh no...it sounds bad. Yes, i will have to learn to block these things.i just dont know where to start. sad

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
            Marcy Goodfleischposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Izzy has a good point - you absorb emotions and turn them into your own.  It might help you to learn how to set boundaries for this and protect yourself emotionally, while still retaining the ability to have a healthy level of empathy.

this sounds scary to me, i cant control my emotions anymore. thanks for your answers, really helped me a lot to think of possible solutions..i thought its normal to feel that way..lately ive been asking questions, like when i saw one and asked a friend if she feels it too..if she 'saw' the 'life' of that person, they would say no. that's where i started to ask myself if this is normal..

3. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are just very sensitive to people. There isn't anything wrong with tears it is your passion you have for mankind. It's a beautiful gift embrace it. smile

2. unknown spy profile image44
    unknown spyposted 12 years ago

i don't know with my parents..maybe, in their own way.. No, i dont help them if i saw one, i dont know what to say either.i dont want to look at them sometimes but the pain was ripping my heart. as if i want to escape and think that they will be alright so i wont cry anymore.

3. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 12 years ago

This post is hard to take seriously with the giant picture of the crying eye and the use of terms such as "precious tears"

oh..its just a representation.. and i use precious as an adjective for tears because tears cant just be given to everybody...

4. moiponetsoka profile image64
    moiponetsokaposted 12 years ago

i disagree ithe picture is very dramatic for me

1. janesix profile image60
      janesixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The pain....the paiiiiinnnn!!!!!

?? what do you mean?

2. unknown spy profile image44

tnx moiponetsoka..i kinda like the picture... smile

5. jcmayer777 profile image63
    jcmayer777posted 12 years ago

A loved one went through something roughly similar.

She takes a couple of meds each day and swears it was the best thing she ever did.  The first step is to get over the fact it could be an emotional disorder (or whatever it's called) and accept it.  People are generally unwilling to accept anything like this because they think it means they are crazy.  A diabetic needs insulin and diet change, a man with a broken arm needs a cast, a person with an emotional problem of some sort needs help just the same.  Nothing wrong with it. 

I would honestly suggest talking to a doctor.  Apart from the social stigma you might feel, it could be the best trip to the doctor you'll ever have and could seriously help you out tremendously.

a psychologist maybe? i dont know if we have one here.. it's kinda exhausting feeling this everyday..seeing people and your heart is hurting again for no apparent reason just because "you've seen their sufferings or hardships or whatever there is". do you think there's a med for this one?

1. IzzyM profile image87

There's meds for everything but you don't want to go down that road if you can help it.

What age are you, if you don't mind me asking?

Hi Izzy, i just turned 24.. yes,and im not not med fanatic really, as long as i can handle or take it, i dont take med smile

6. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

I also go with Ms Izzy. You said that you want to escape the imagery of it all. Do you think in some ways that you can do something with their sufferings and that you feel guilt? Maybe you can sit down and think what is causing that - failure to help, understanding why those things are happening to them. Do you feel helpless as well because you can't help them? If it really bad at times that it is affecting you even if you are not looking at them, you might want to consult a psychologist for initial take on what is causing it. Maybe you are a highly sensitive and an empathic person.

I used to cry when I look at the TV and see those sexually abused (not only sexually but other forms of abuse) children. What I did is that I joined the UNICEF and I tried to donate some money to children causes. I feel good after what I did.

7. snigdhal profile image60
    snigdhalposted 12 years ago

Dear unknown spy ,

I can sympathize with you because I used to be very much like that till a few years ago . My parents used to tell me its wonderful to be able to feel other people's pain in such a way . As I grew older i realized how just shedding tears wasn't helping me or anyone else .
      I would suggest that first you do make sure that you are not suffering from hormonal imbalances .  3 in every 10 women are suffering from hormonal imbalances.
    If not so , ask your self why exactly it is that you are crying . Is it because you really want to share their pain ? Logically crying over someone else's pain doesn't really help . If you truly want to be sympathetic pull up your socks , wipe away your tears and lend a helping hand .
      If you are crying because you perceive the world as having too many cruelties than you should speak to someone (a professional counsellor , a healer ,  whatever floats your boat really ) because there may be some basic problem bothering you .
      Either ways crying that much is not helpful !

8. jirel profile image73
    jirelposted 12 years ago

I think it is called empathy.When you're empathic you can feel the pain of others.Empathic people can also  be very emotional ;they do not like to see the suffering of people, as they are able to feel the emotions of others.Being empathic can cause problems too.Like you try hard to stop yourself but you can't stop yourself from crying.As far as I think its empathy.In order to reduce these feelings, you should be surrounded with happy people.If you're in a place which is peaceful and calm, I think you can avoid them. Empathic people do not have to choose a person.They can automatically know what is wrong with the people around them.It's an ability .Not everyone possess this ability.However, if you want to stop yourself from crying,please try to be in a place where there are no sufferings.There are empathic children who become sick because they are not able to see the pain of others.And this is involuntary.You won't be able to do anything about it.I think you should research more about it.This is what I've understood.Hope it helped.

9. glmclendon profile image60
    glmclendonposted 12 years ago

If crying clears your system do so. If this is all the time I think it may hender you from making some decisions.

Why would one take on the emotions of other people? Maybe I have this wrong but I think there is trouble brewing if not checked.

There may be nothing wrong, but it won't hurt to run some test and see. That is why we get check ups to catch things in the early stage.

That is why we get check ups each year.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)