Anyone that writes a book about God, is trying to sell something

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (42 posts)
  1. mischeviousme profile image61
    mischeviousmeposted 12 years ago

Christianity is one of the largest money makers in the world, but it's not really the church. It's the people selling their brain poison, trying to make a buck on the other sheople. Why do christians buy into it? Why do they think another christian has the answer? Why do they say it's divinely inspired, when the only inspiration is anothe dollar bill? Do they not see it? Have they been that blinded by their doctrinal faith?

1. pisean282311 profile image61
      pisean282311posted 12 years agoin reply to this

@mis true...it is multi million dollar industry....but why just books?..religion worldwide is huge business...and it includes all faiths...

mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That there is, as I have no doubt but none are as asinine as the western philosophies. They all have this holy rightness and mine is better attitude. They cling to the title "Christian", muslim or whatever. They believe that by a title, they reach a higher plain. Their not all like that, I would hope... But then again, who am I to say that their wrong for their choices?

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
          couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have a plan to write a book about something called God and its connection to our universe. Hope I make tons of money from it.

Me too... Please write it in your own words, so if I read it, I'm not just reading the bible again. You know... Like that purpose filled life garbage?

No, no. It will have little to do with any Bible or the like. You know me. More metaphysical in nature.

2. MarleneB profile image92
      MarleneBposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Anybody? Hmmm! I actually know someone who wrote a book about God and charged nothing for it. You can't even buy his book in stores. Or, at least, I haven't seen it in stores. He spent his own money to produce the book and gave it away for free. To boot, I really enjoyed his book about God - that he didn't sell... and he wasn't selling anything else either - not even some kind of program or "system" or anything. I thought it was a cool thing that he did. He said it was God answering a dream he had to write a book about God.  It seems you don't know everybody. But, I understand that you may be refering only to the people in your sphere of influence. That's OK. I get it!

The publix in my neighborhood sells bibles and bible related materials, including other christian publications, so try and sell me another one.

2. Eric Newland profile image61
    Eric Newlandposted 12 years ago

Anyone that writes a book on any subject is trying to sell something (a book).

1. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Really? I thought it was just the religious who expected to garner a profit from books.

I learn something new every day.

Unless it's non-fiction, it's garbage. I don't know what to put religious publications under. The best I can do is fiction or historic fiction.

1. profile image0
          Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can almost guarantee you'll never get a job as a book critic.

Does this mean Shakespeare, Tolstoy and countless other masters simply wrote garbage? That's an interesting outlook.

Edit My bad. You said non fiction was garbage. That's still odd. but makes more sense.

2. Eric Newland profile image61
        Eric Newlandposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You see, everything that normally has a positive or neutral connotation automatically becomes negative when religion gets attached to it. E.g.:

GOOD: A secular charity gives food to starving people.
        BAD: A church-based charity gives food to starving people.

GOOD: Secular writers make money by writing books.
        BAD: Religious writers make money by writing books.

GOOD: Bill Gates' philanthropic efforts.
        BAD: Mother Theresa's philanthropic efforts.

GOOD: Freedom to raise your own children as you see fit.
        BAD: Freedom to raise your own children as you see fit...if you're religious.

The list goes on and on.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
          A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Funny how you conveniently leave out evangelism and indoctrination in the latter portion of your examples. Seems more like the dishonesty goes on and on.

2. pisean282311 profile image61
          pisean282311posted 12 years agoin reply to this

@eric all things are good as long as they dont have agenda of conversion...bill gates doesnt care whether person getting his charity believes in book called bible or quran or torah or any thing else...neither bill cares whether person believe jesus was saviour or mere prophet or mere human or was myth...

1. Eric Newland profile image61
            Eric Newlandposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Neither, I would argue, should a Christian organization make evangelism the thrust of a charitable act.

I've been on church outreaches where we brought groceries to poor neighborhoods. That's why we were there: to distribute groceries.

If people asked where we were from or why we were doing what we were doing we didn't lie. If they wanted to know more we told them.

If that's indoctrination then I really don't know what else to say.

1. Druid Dude profile image61
              Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Eric. This, you should ponder. There are those who have eyes, yet can't see. There are those who have ears, yet, can't hear. They are for the Father to deal with. If their ears and eyes are to be opened in this life, they will be opened...and even Lucifer himself will kneel at the foot of the almighty.

3. backporchstories profile image72
    backporchstoriesposted 12 years ago

It is true that religion runs on money, as most any organized group.  Though I would like to make money from my writings, I thoroughly enjoy sharing my thoughts with out monetary rewards!  It is our greedy society that has put money in the forefront.  I am skeptical of those who proclaim divination, yet when I write it comes from the heart and I believe that is where God resides in each of us.  The heart.  I believe in divine visions, but walk with a faith that money is nothing but trouble to our ego.  My husband and I live a humble life and produce natural medicine.  People ask for our medicine and then want to pay us.  We say no, cause money weakens the exchange of healing.  If I could produce a book with a powerful message and not recieve a dime, I would be content in knowing I shared a divine message.  Doing my work for Creator!

You must have an awesome life!

1. backporchstories profile image72
        backporchstoriesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have good days and bad days like everyone else....just strong in faith!

Good days and bad days are relative to our perspective (or faith). We can let bad days ruin us and I suspect this is not the case with you.

1. backporchstories profile image72
            backporchstoriesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I keep a positive attitude....read my stories and you will see!  Especially the one call "Sink Or Swim"!

4. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Well, with the title of this thread, I guess we have a winner.

Anyone who writes a book is trying to sell something. WOW!

That is the most enlightening thing to ever come across the forums! WOW!

lol lol lol

That's the most enlightening thing? (Sarcasm intended)

5. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 12 years ago

Even writers meed to eat and pay their mortgage. I doubt there are many who get into writing books soley to make loads of cash, knowing its one of the hardest industries to make money in.

1. Bob Zermop profile image68
      Bob Zermopposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good point. I'm atheist, but why hate on religious authors trying to make money off their books, like all authors do? Honestly, think whether they do it to make money or just to express themselves is irrelevant; as long as people are voluntarily buying them, what's the problem?

You don't see the names of the authors in early buddhist litterature. The problem is money itself, not so much the people. You see charity, but only really in the public eye. If I write a book about God, am I not trying only to get ahead? If it were divinely inspired, why would I want money for it? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of living in the facade of a pioused existance?

1. Bob Zermop profile image68
          Bob Zermopposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you wish to devote your life to religious (any religion) studies in the US, you still have to feed yourself, shelter, etc. Not saying all authors are legit, I'm certain some if not most are not, but just pointing out today  there arent too many options to survive without income.

1. MarleneB profile image92
            MarleneBposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Touche, Bob Zermop! Touche! You are right on the money! smile

2. oceansnsunsets profile image84
          oceansnsunsetsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There are some incredibly brilliant authors out there, that happen to also be religious.  I agree with Bob, that while not all are legit, many are actually legit, and care about sharing what they have learned about. 

In fairness, we ought to see more of this kind of talk for all that write on religion, not just having an issue with people that are Christian.  If it were consistent, we would see many of these people complaining about Dawkins, and all the rest, Sam Harris, even HItchens may he rest in peace...  They love to write religious stuff!

Same could be said of anyone for any profession, if it is just about what you disagree with, in regards to someone making money off of it.  I never cease to be amazed though.  Amazed me that some are having to state the obvious, "even writers need to pay their mortgage and eat...", but I guess it needs to be said though it should go without saying.

Perhaps if some get the right president in office, some things couldn't be published, sold or purchased if it didn't meet certain criteria, lol.  Sound crazy?  Stay tuned... lol

1. oceansnsunsets profile image84
            oceansnsunsetsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Or rather, keep things status quo.... and do away with term limits, but that is another thread! lol

6. Druid Dude profile image61
    Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

Soooo...you don't like a good story. Just gimme some truth, is that it? The truth? You can't handle the truth.

7. Druid Dude profile image61

Druid Dude doesn't make me one red cent. That is the way I set up the account. I have nothing to sell, a lot that I offer freely...have a nice day!smile

8. Druid Dude profile image61

Sure would like to write a novel, though...and make Beau Coup bucks.

Only if it's from my own mouth and mind... Writing about a book and copying scripture, is not creating anything.

9. janesix profile image60

I am highly suspicious of doctors and teachers. Do they REALLY want to help people out? Shouldnt benefitting society be enough for them? I have doubts about their sincerity when they ask for money.

I could say the same for the church or about many religious groups, the selling of scripturally based material for instance. My main problem is this; the inability for many to resist change and ignore logicality. Is it logical to follow an ancient dead people, bereft of knowledge? Is it logical to follow a people that didn't even know what the word physics means? Are we all so primitive, as to believe and act as we do?

1. janesix profile image60
        janesixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, we are that primitive. If ypu believe that eradicating religion will somehow magically change human nature, you are dead wrong.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
          A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

True, it won't change human nature, but it will stop good people from doing bad things.

1. janesix profile image60
            janesixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No it wont. Only someones self control can do that

10. janesix profile image60

Mischieviousme, your chi is revved up so high that its churning up all kinds of crap from your subconcious. You need to stop looking outside of yourself. You need to deal with this stuff internally.

11. oceansnsunsets profile image84
    oceansnsunsetsposted 12 years ago

Does that include atheists?  I guess this thread applies to them also.  Many of them love to write about God and spend a lot of time on the subject.   

Many of them have devout followers as well who will buy their books.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)