Having trouble seeing user created videos

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (12 posts)
  1. gracenotes profile image89
    gracenotesposted 12 years ago

I have been unable to see the user-created videos on hubs.  All I see in place of the video is a big blank area.

Here is an example.  I know that this hub starts with a user-created music video, but I'm just not seeing it.

http://austinstar.hubpages.com/video/He … deo-format

Tried viewing it in at least two other browsers, but have the same problem.
    My primary browser is Firefox 11.0

1. Dale Hyde profile image79
      Dale Hydeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I just upgraded to Firefox 11.0 moments ago.. I have viewed the link/hub you have referenced and I see the video...it starts playing right away. You may want to clear your browser cache as that sometimes can be the problem.

1. gracenotes profile image89
        gracenotesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, tried clearing the cache, but it did not help.  I've had this problem over multiple days, so my computer has definitely been re-booted, and keep having the same problem.

Oh, I don't see images of a jigsaw puzzle.  There is a big blank area below which is the descriptive caption of the video, followed by the code for </>embed.

I'd place a screen shot here, but don't know how to do this.

One other thing that has helped in some places, is to do a Javascript update. Not sure if that would apply to the video, but it may. You can just Google that and the site will check your computer and see if you need an update. I know in our private chat this has to be done occasionally.

2. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Are you see what looks like a piece of a jigsaw puzzle in that empty space? If so, that's a shockwave flash failure and rebooting the computer should fix it.

I get that a lot, its a problem with Windows 7 and Google Chrome, as far as I can make out.

Hello Izzy. For your problem, as well as mine, I have a hub published, with a solution that has worked for me. It includes a video, but if you click the video and view it on YouTube, read the description, for a step by step guide.

1. IzzyM profile image87
          IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, I had found that fix some time back and just checked again - it is still disabled in the plugins.
          I get less crashes than before, but I am still getting them occasionally so there is still a problem.
          Luckily mine is not as bad as yours, I get short freezes but have never yet had to do a cold restart.

I still get them occasionally, but I do with Firefox as well, so I guess we just have to live in an imperfect online world! The horrors! smile Now, if I was "paying" for these browsers, I guess I would be a tad more harsh however.

I do check as well to make sure it is still disabled on mine as well.

2. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

I have Firefox, and I had no problems viewing your video.  You made this work for you.  I could not load my videos, no matter how many times I tried.

3. gracenotes profile image89
    gracenotesposted 11 years ago

Bumping this up again.  Did a Java update, as suggested by Dale Hyde.
    It hasn't helped.  Still can't see the user-created videos.  Couldn't see Paul Edmonson's latest one on his profile.

If anyone has other suggestions, please post.

Dale Hydeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hopefully, someone will come along with some doable advice that will solve this issue.  I can not think of any solution myself offhand, other than what you have already tried.

4. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 11 years ago

I've got no useful advice either, but I'd like to know why it takes several hours to upload a video to Hubpages, when it only takes a few minutes to upload to YouTube.

I've uploaded two so far, on other names, and each time they failed after some hours and I had to start again, then wait another few hours until it finished.

Last one took a total of 12 hours!

I put one up to Youtube today, and it took about 5 - 10 minutes using the same format.

What are Hubpages doing differently? (Or what am I doing wrong?)

This could be related to Grace's problem, it could be to do with the type of files or plugins involved with the transfer and subsequent viewings of video hubs.

Anyone know?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)