Political Quiz

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (54 posts)
  1. profile image0
    JaxsonRaineposted 11 years ago

I have a hypothetical situation. Would you say this was a good situation or a bad situation?

Someone takes over a company with borrowed money. This company was heading for bankruptcy, and everyone would have lost their jobs if this person didn't step in. This person cut jobs and consolidate operations. This person cut wages to the remaining workers. The company starts turning a profit.

Should the person that took over the company be praised or criticized?

1. profile image52
      homdiggityposted 11 years agoin reply to this

i think its pretty good if they save the company

2. Josak profile image60
      Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Someone takes over a company that has been running for 105 years and is till turning a small profit, the man then comes in loads the business with debts, cuts corners and sells of vital parts of the business, when the business goes bankrupt and thousands lose their jobs he walks away with a profit in the tens of millions, he then refuses to pay the workers their pensions and health insurance as covered forcing the federal government to step in at taxpayer expense to save the ex employees. Should that person be praised or criticized?

Meet GST steel.

1. profile image0
        JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Are you talking about the GSI plant BAIN purchased in 1993? That plant was already set to close. Bain saved it from being closed in 1993.

Again, I've gone over this company, but you haven't addressed the points I've made about it.

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 11 years ago

Neither.

1. profile image0

So you don't think Romney's work at Bain was good or bad?

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is what neither means doesn't it?

1. profile image0

Generally speaking, yes.

Do you hold the same view of the auto bailout?

3. profile image0
    devjeetposted 11 years ago

Obviously such person should be praised because he/she turned that company in profit. Some times you have to be rude to achieve the best.

1. profile image0

Thank you devjeet. I agree, it's better to save part of a company than lose it all.

4. profile image0
    JaxsonRaineposted 11 years ago

I would really love to hear from LMC, MightyMom, and Ralph, among others big_smile

I'm sure you would considering I figure this post has something to do with Romney the idiot.

1. Mighty Mom profile image78
        Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Cags,
        Ya think???
        I think Lady_Love has been reincarnated in the form of JaxsonRaine.
        There's something doggedly familiar about the relentness propaganda posting.

Hi Mighty Mom, always good to see you. smile big_smile

And, you could be right about "Lady_Love". lol lol lol

But, I rather not assume it to be true. However, it could be a possibility. lol

1. profile image0

Don't know who Lady_Love is, but it's definitely not me.

It's funny, people say I'm spreading propaganda, but refuse to address the factual information that I present.

2. profile image0

You can't answer my question without either

1 - Criticizing Romney and Obama
          2 - Praising Romney and Obama

So you resort to off-topic gossip.

You then try to derail my thread? This has nothing to do with Koch.

2. Mighty Mom profile image78

Is there any topic you won't willfully turn to Romney propaganda?
      This thread is about the Koch Brothers.
      They don't need your defense.
      Unless, of course, you are on their payroll and not directly on the "presumed GOP candidate's."

lol lol

2. profile image52

what does this thread have to do with koch brothers?

1. Mighty Mom profile image78

Everything.
          If it promotes altruistic capitalism it's funded by the Koch Brothers.

1. profile image52

so you think the op is being paid for posting this?

why dont you answer the question, is it good to save a company or not?

3. profile image0

Did you get confused and think this was your Koch thread?

It's not propaganda. If you criticize Romney for what he did at Bain, you have to criticize Obama for the auto bailout.

5. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 11 years ago

Obama didn't even cross my mind!

I mean--how much did Obama make off with? What was his take?

Bain came in to cut and skim.

Obama came in to save.

Apples and oranges, as your man says.

1. profile image0

Why does it matter if Romney made money? If he used borrowed money to take over a company, consolidated, and turned it into a profitable company, the net effect is the same. A company(read:jobs) was saved.

And both GM and Chrysler filed for bankruptcy.

1. lovemychris profile image77
        lovemychrisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

His reason for doing it was to make money...not altruistic or caring...Money Grubbing.

It matters to me, I don't want that dude as my president.

1. profile image0

So, you don't like capitalism?

Is it bad for somebody to invent, say, an iPhone for profit?

Is it bad for someone to charge you for mowing your lawn?

I don't like Romney...is that allowed?

1. profile image0

Yes, that's allowed, but why don't you answer my questions?

So, you don't like capitalism?

Is it bad for somebody to invent, say, an iPhone for profit?

Is it bad for someone to charge you for mowing your lawn?

Because it has nothing to do with Romney.
                Capitalism/Shmapitalism, he's a no-good Robber Baron In My Opinion..

1. profile image0

Yes it does.

You say you don't like Romney because he saved companies for a profit, and that it is only ok to save companies out of the goodness of your heart.

So I wonder, is it ok for someone to charge to mow your lawn or to charge you for an iPhone?

1. profile image0
                    PrettyPantherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are leaving out a very important detail. Too often, those companies that were "saved" by Romney ended up going under due to the massive debt put on them by Bain Capital.  Too often, that debt was used to pay off the investors while the workers lost their pensions and their jobs.

There is nothing wrong with capitalism; there is something wrong with people who think it's okay to line their already-rich pockets while letting the poor and middle class sink.  One can embrace capitalism without being a robber baron or condoning robber barons.

Get it?

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt/assets/politics/Mitt%20Romney%20bain%20capital.jpg

2. John Holden profile image60
            John Holdenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

At the last count the person who invented the i-player hasn't made a penny out of it.
            Good old capitalism.

1. profile image0

What?

1. innersmiff profile image68
                innersmiffposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's the BBC's on-demand service. The British government did not invent the on-demand service so I don't understand John's point. And if the guy who made the iplayer isn't getting paid for it there's a serious problem somewhere!

1. John Holden profile image60

No it isn't the BBCs on demand service!
                  It's that wretched little music player that everybody seems to have plugged into their brain these days.

And damn it, I meant i-pod, not i-player, sorry, age and sunshine have done for me!

2. John Holden profile image60

Yes, stunning isn't it!
                Though the Englishman who invented the i-player did make something when Apple paid him to testify in court that he invented it. 
                It was all about somebody else trying to shake down Apple claiming that Apple had stolen the invention from them and all the time Apple had got it else where.

6. JSChams profile image62
    JSChamsposted 11 years ago

Let me see if I understand what I am hearing.....

No one should step in and turn a company around so that it makes a profit because doing so is evil and immoral?

Is that about it?

1. profile image0

If you make a profit from it... yes.

And, especially if the company goes bankrupt(never mind whether or not anyone loses their jobs) half a decade after you no longer control the company.

1. JSChams profile image62
        JSChamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh so we would have been better off letting some central committee in the government oversee that?

1. profile image0

That's what some people here would think... It's sad when someone would rather see a company go bankrupt than see someone make money by saving it.

1. profile image0

You are missing the point entirely. 

First, show me where anyone here has said they would rather see a company go bankrupt than see someone make money by saving it.  Show me.  At least be honest in your assessment of those who disagree with you.

Second, the point is that Romney opened this can of worms by touting his Bain Capital experience as evidence that he would be good at creating jobs.  Neither Bain Capital nor Romney has released any evidence that this is true.  It is natural for his opponents to ask for evidence of such a statement and to scrutinize Romney's actions at Bain if that is what he is running on.

And, as has been repeatedly pointed out, making money for investors is an entirely different goal than creating jobs.  Sometimes jobs are created in the process, but oftentimes they are lost while investors get rich.

1. profile image0

LMC has repeatedly denounced Romney, and finally admitted that it is solely because Romney made profit while saving companies.

Yes, it's natural to look, but to call it vulture capitalism with no proof, or with using obviously distorted facts(like bringing out the former union leader who wouldn't agree to a 22% pay-cut in a shrinking industry), that's what we shouldn't be doing.

When somebody does come along and provide facts, should people keep saying 'nu-uh, he slashed jobs and looted companies!'?

The goal was to make money. How? By making companies more successful(or successful, period). Bain was not a raider. They wanted to make companies successful so they could draw more consulting fees. They had a vested interest in helping companies, and part of helping companies is creating jobs.

Can you at least admit that in every instance where the facts of a company's financial situation are available, Bain had a positive effect?

If not, can you provide proof of the opposite?

My main point is that it's dishonest to discredit Romney without any proof, and it's more dishonest to discredit Romney in the face of proof to the contrary.

My secondary point is that Obama did the same thing with the auto industry that Bain did, but nobody criticizes Obama for that.

1. profile image0

I gave you proof in the article, which you seem to ignore.  Yes, sometimes Bain saved companies, but sometimes Bain loaded a company with debt, used the borrowed money to enrich themselves, and let pensions go unpaid.

Why do you insist that I am not admitting that sometimes Bain did good?  Can you not also admit that sometimes Bain enriched themselves at the expense of a company and its workers?

Show me where LMC said that, please.

1. profile image0

If an entire industry completely changes due to the flood of new foreign imports, I don't blame Bain for that. Yes, Bain made money off of GSI, but before the market changed, GSI was doing well. That's my point, it's ridiculous to blame Romney or Bain.

Let's say Romney/Bain hadn't made any money off of GSI. Their debt load would have been $358 million instead of $378 million. That relatively small figure had no discernible impact.

Also, the GSI mill would have been closed down 8 years earlier if it weren't for Bain.

So yes, it's dishonest to blame Bain for that instance.

Ampad is worse, because it did very well under Bain, and didn't close until 5 years after Bain was no longer in control.

So where is the problem?

LMC said that in this thread, you can find it yourself. I believe his exact words were robber baron.

1. profile image0

Apparently, you and I are interpreting the same set of facts differently.  No sense continuing the discussion.  I disagree with your interpretation that it is unfair to judge Romney negatively for his role in Bain Capital.  I guess it all comes down to what you value in a human being, especially one who wants to be President of the United States.

7. innersmiff profile image68
    innersmiffposted 11 years ago

I think that person should be praised, not elected President.

1. profile image0

Do you think the knowledge of what barriers companies face to success isn't applicable in the presidency?

Do you think the president should engage in the same practice as Obama did?

1. innersmiff profile image68
        innersmiffposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No I don't think it matters next to their understanding of the basic principles of the free market and economics. I consider that one of the most important things, and Romney does not understand that. He is a corporatist puppet existing to serve the interests of Wall Streets, and not much more, much like Obama.

1. profile image0

Something we can agree on!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)