Is a Christian carer affected for being open about thier faith?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (19 posts)
  1. profile image0
    mdawson17posted 14 years ago

In today's society as Christians we have seen that non believers have become belligerent and some extremely agitated at our presence, do you think that because of our religions preference our professional carer is affected!

1. Paraglider profile image87
      Paragliderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think you're talking about worldly careers, if you are a Christian, and not about carers (who look after others). Am I correct?

I disagree with your premise that non-believers have become belligerent. It seems to me that they (we) have become defensive under the assault from fundamentalists. Anyway, I think your religion tells you to render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's - in other words, don't mix your religion with politics/business.

I live in a country where most people spend about an hour per (working!) day preparing to pray, praying, or returning from prayer. And four weeks a year (Ramadan) doing very little work. I'm not saying it's inherently bad, but it isn't good for business (which I care little enough about!)

So, what was the question?

1. Everyday Miracles profile image85
        Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually, render unto Caesar, etc, is referring to following secular laws and paying taxes, as well as tithing to God what belongs to God (the first 10% of our income). For many of us this is an incredible challenge. I won't rehash old conversations though.

I do feel that there are situations when it can be difficult, Matthew. For me, at one point I worked in a call center that did telefundraising for a certain political party. Their leanings were the polar opposite of what I believed.

It could have affected me in some very dramatic ways, but it didn't. One can choose, as PG has implied, to check our religion at the door when entering into the work environment. Unless you are being asked to do something that is immoral according to your beliefs as a Christian, then I feel that this is wholly possible.

I also have to agree that even as a Christian I am finding that the deeper I look, the more I discover that atheists really are on the defensive and not on the offensive. It just feels different when it is your group that has been "offending" them for so long.

What, God wants a few hundred quid a month?? I thought he could make anything he needed without going anywhere near the shops lol

LOL!

I used to feel the same way, to be honest with you. I still have moments where it annoys me because I figure "we need that money to pay the rent, etc."

One thing that I have discovered though my years studying theology is that there is a philosophy (not a theology) that suggests that what we put out into the world comes back to us in abundance. The idea behind tithing is that what we put out (that 10%) comes back to us after having increased.

Many people I have met have stories of how this has worked for them. I can't say that monetary tithing has worked for me, but I have noticed that the more I give out into the world the more joy I get back from it. I haven't had nearly enough opportunity to experiment with cash, but I've got to say that if giving good works out into the world results in joy coming in, I can't wait to experiment!

BTW, when I get paid, I give my money to charity rather than to church. I believe it's the same thing. For me it is usually the March of Dimes.

2. Ivorwen profile image65
      Ivorwenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think it has more to do with how you present yourself, than your beliefs.  My husband lives his beliefs out every day before his co-workers and customers.  Many of them have sought him out when they have a spiritual question.  He is not noisy about his beliefs or arrogant -- he just walks the walk.  People know he is different, but not because he told them, and respect him for it.

A lack of cussing is usually the first thing others notice about him.  A strong work ethic and a love for his family are the other things people respect in him.

All of which is commendable but none of which requires belief in God.

You are right: these things don't require a belief in God (though they changed in me when I became a Christian). I think that it is extremely bad logic to assume that atheists or agnostics are immoral due to their lack of faith in God (or that non-Christians are immoral due to their lack of faith in Jesus).

I cannot imagine limiting myself to friendships only with Christians. There is so much to enjoy and to learn!

I got sidetracked. The reason I chose to respond is the fact that very often when one chooses a moral path, there is something unique about them. Does it require faith? No, not actually. What it requires is often an excellent self-image. Some credit that good self-image to their religion, and if asked, will credit God for the way they feel about themselves. I don't think that there is anything wrong with this, just that it works differently for different people (obviously) smile

2. Ivorwen profile image65
          Ivorwenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very true.  My point in saying such was to point out that he is a respected individual for the way he lives, and therefore his beliefs are respected.  Those wanting to know more about Christianity ask him, because they do not see him as a hypocrite.

2. LondonGirl profile image81
        LondonGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like my Dad. I've never heard him swear, apart from when I was about 10 and he jumped down a flight of stairs and went through a rotten floor board. He never even uses words like "crap".

He has a strong work ethic, too. Last week, he was in court in London on Monday, flew to Hong Kong on Monday night, was in court there on Wednesday and Thursday, and flew back on Thursday night. On Friday he had an all-day conference with a client and solicitor.

His family is central to him, too.

But my Dad believes passionately in the Church of England, that it should exist, the music, the architecture, and not at all in God.

3. Lady_E profile image60
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No. If you are a true Christian and behave like one then your career shouldn't be affected. I know of Christians that when people at work are talking round them, if they use a swear word they would actually apologise to the Christian of their own accord. 

Also, as the world is changing, Xtians need to use wisdom before they start talking about their faith at work. Sometimes its not a good idea. However, if you don't practice what you preach then your career might be affected.

2. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

you know what I am a religious person, I practice my religion, but this site almost puts me off god and I love him...

I just cannot understand why people put up so much trash, it is obviously going to totally turn people away.....  If anyone wants to ask a biblical point, they know the ones who to ask. If a person is mad about cars, do they come on here lecturing others about cars no of course not....

People like to see a sermon rather hear a sermon, so act kind and lovingly to fellow hubbers, and maybe that would help everyone on here.  I really dont understand the ranting that goes on....

Who is dreadful? Me? Probably, as I am the only one on this thread not patently religious. But 'dreadful' is the first insult on this thread. Be glad that I'm not easily offended wink

Funny -- I actually thought she was talking about me. Talk about being self-centered and egotistical! LOL

I thought we were having a good humoured chit-chat. Come to think of it, I still think so!

2. profile image0
          \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have sat and read lots and lots of things you have written, it is not my religion, but you put it all accross in a nice pleasant way, that makes me want to read more, though not convert..... You are always helpful, and respectful sorry I did not mean to be personal....

It's alright. I think that was more my ego than anything else. The day started off with an argument with a friend and has kind of snowballed from there sad

3. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

sorry i will rephrase that, some of the points people make are good but some are dreadful........  I just mean they are over the top a bit....... people from Manchester are not great at forming sentences...

nobody is dreadful

No worries. Nice classic rose too smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)