Romney: Felon or whiner?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (42 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

WHat do you think?
    I think the Dems are finally learning to play in the mud. Yay!

Democrats to Romnney: 'Stop whining' over felony remark

Posted by
    CNN's Kevin Liptak

(CNN) – The suggestion this week from a top Obama campaign official that Mitt Romney may have committed a felony by listing himself as CEO of Bain Capital after leaving the firm was picked apart Sunday, with Republicans decrying the remark as the worst type of divisive politics and Obama's team urging its rivals to "stop whining."

Stephanie Cutter, Obama's deputy campaign manager, originally made the claim Thursday on a conference call.

"Either Mitt Romney, through his own words and his own signature was misrepresenting his position at Bain to the SEC, which is a felony, or he was misrepresenting his position at Bain to the American people to avoid responsibility for some of the consequences of his investments," Cutter said, responding to a newspaper report that Romney was listed as Bain Capital's CEO after 1999, when he has repeatedly said he left the private equity firm.

The significance of Romney's date of departure centers on companies acquired by Bain that later shipped jobs overseas. Romney claims he left the company before those decisions were made, but Democrats point to filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission that indicate Romney was still listed as the firm's CEO.

Cutter's words drew a quick response from Obama's opponents, who said the suggestion that the presumptive GOP nominee had committed a felony was below the office of the presidency.

Romney himself said in an interview with CNN on Friday that the charge was "disgusting" and "demeaning," and called on Obama and his campaign to apologize.

Ed Gillespie, a senior adviser to Romney, echoed that sentiment on Sunday, saying on CNN the charges reflected a "say anything" stance adopted by the president's campaign.

"We now know that this president will say anything to keep this highest office in the land, even if it means demeaning the highest office in the land," Gillespie said.

And Kevin Madden, newly appointed to a more senior role on Romney's team, said on CBS that the felony suggestion was out of line.

"I think it is very troubling that the president would direct this campaign to label someone like Gov. Romney, who is a very good and honorable man, as a felon. That's very troubling," Madden said.

Cutter, sitting next to Madden on the CBS set, said she was not calling Romney a felon, but merely stating the Bain documents, if misrepresentative of his role at the company, would amount to a felony. She refused to apologize for the remark.

"He's not going to get an apology," Cutter said. "Just a few months ago in the primary Mitt Romney said to his opponents - who were crushing him at the time – 'stop whining.' And that's a good message for the Romney campaign. Instead of whining about what the Obama campaign is saying, just put the facts out there and let people decide rather than trying to hide them."

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, who left his post as Obama's chief of staff in 2010 to run in the mayoral election, had similar advice for the Republican candidate.

"Give it up about Stephanie. Don't worry about that," Emanuel said on ABC. "What are you going to do when a China president says something about you? Stop whining. If you want to claim Bain Capital as your calling card for the White House, defend what happened to Bain Capital and what happened to those jobs that went overseas, those jobs that were actually cut and eliminated."

1. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Interesting "just put the facts out there and let people decide rather than trying to hide them."

I would have liked to see all the facts about Obama, but as we can see he used executive privileged to cover up fast and furious, he went through the back door to gut out welfare reform, he took three years to show us his birth certificate, and his college transcripts are sealed.

And now they are criticizing Romney for not showing us his tax return.
      http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/532341_435989983090467_1716691716_n.jpg

1. sean kinn profile image58
        sean kinnposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You think maybe he had some bad grades on his transcripts? :-)

2. undermyhat profile image60
      undermyhatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"Have you stopped beating your wife?"

What is the right answer?  If you want a whiner you have one in POTUS - "peoople make fun of my ears" Obama.  Petulant, whining, name calling and throws like a girl(and by girl I mean a sheltered prissy little thing, not a women's softball pitcher.)

A major Obama friend took the helm from Romney just in time to do what his President would later do - destroy American jobs.  Romney's old company may have created jobs overseas by the hundreds, Obama is destoying them by the thousands.  Nice choice. 

Thanks fior making the choice in November even clearer.

ps. since this is based on a CNN report, the link you posted will probably have more viewers than did the original airing of the story.  CNN is done.

3. The Frog Prince profile image70
      The Frog Princeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think you have the subject incorrectly listed.  Is Obama a felon for fraudulently attending universities as a foreign student?  And why does he keep whining about another's success since he can't run on his failed record.  Actually I find your continuance of spreading a continual string of lies a bit strange.

1. undermyhat profile image60

It is only a lie if one knows it is incorrect.  It is incumbent on liberals to understand and know as little as possible while still sounding intelligent - one reason why so many actors are liberals.  I don't find it strange at all.

"Swiftboat" has become the chat of the liberal propaganda machine as it tries to guarantee Obama's reelection in the face of mounting evidence of his incompetence.  They will drag his limping presidency across the finish line because they still regret failing Jimmy Carter.

http://uchicagolaw.typepad.com/faculty/ … -lies.html

After all, isn't "swift boating " lying??  So Obama is lying about Romney?

or is it like so many things with liberals, detached from logical consistency and reason. As in - it is the truth when we "swift boat" it is a lie when they "swift boat."

Obama's own people who worked at Bain have opposed these kinds of attacks on Romney but you will never hear that from a liberal - because it doesn't fit the fiction necessary to continue the faith.

2. sean kinn profile image58

Go, Frog Prince! :-)

4. profile image0
      JimMilesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, GOP, for sending Mitt Rmoney against the President; I was hoping he'd get four more years! smile

56 Republican Quotes Against Mitt Romney Every American Should Take Seriously:
      http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/07/16 … seriously/

5. profile image0

Mint Rmoney is so enamored with outsourcing, he wants to outsource the job of deporting illegals to THE ILLEGALS THEMSELVES!!!
      http://theforcereport.blogspot.com/2012 … rkers.html

1. profile image0

"Mitt Romney-Helmed Olympics Outsourced Uniforms To Burma"; and the best part is how they told critics at the time that Myanmar, not Burma, was the country-- okay... an organization whose job it is to catalog all the countries of the world by their athletes, didn't know that BURMA = MYANMAR! You can't make this stuff up! Truth is stranger than fiction!
        http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/1 … 77791.html

2. sean kinn profile image58

Yay! User-generated content. :-)

6. profile image0

McCain Saw Romney's Tax Returns And He Chose SARAH PALIN! = Best reason so far to prevent a Romney presidency from happening.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/zekejmiller/oma … s-and-he-c

McCain didn't want Romney - I can't think of a better reason to vote for Romney.

2. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

McCain denies it had anything to do with Romney's tax returns.  He says Sarah Palin was a better candidate than Romney.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-congre … 29201.html

BWWWAAAAHHHHHAAAAHHHAAAAA!!!!

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTeqEwWRX-IuctEpANCZarT8MhnQtoIbklMy6UHU3mbA2xk4-9

1. profile image0

It's funny every time you say it: "Sarah Palin was a better candidate than Rmoney!"

On paper. Palin had more quality experience the rest of the field - McCain, Obama and Biden.  If one looks objectively at the accomplishments of Palin what had Obama done to compare - hire a good ghost writer?

1. profile image0
            PrettyPantherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

http://tctechcrunch.files.wordpress.com/laughing-at-computer.jpg?w=640

Sorry, that's the best response I can muster.  I haven't yet finished my coffee.

Private Businesses Owner
              Head of the Oil Commission(in a major oil producing state)
              Mayor of a City
              Governor of the largest state and manager of a multi-billion dollar budget

vs.

WHAT?
              where is the executive, real world experience out side the Senate - the most expensive country club in the country.  Okay, McCain has some real world experience most of which I am sure he would like to forget.  Obama?  Biden?

Silly, empty responses are always meaningful.  Tragically hate usually trumps reason.

2. profile image0
    JimMilesposted 11 years ago

LOL! Awesome title!

Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey JimMiles,
      There's a question tailor made for you (since you wrote a killer hub on it) about single payer healthcare.
      Just fyi.

3. profile image0
    JaxsonRaineposted 11 years ago

Loaded question much Mighty Mom?

Obama: Incompetent or Corrupt?

You betcha, JaxsonRaine.
      I lived through Swiftboating John Kerry so I'm really happy to FINALLY  see some 90 mile an hour pitches coming out of my camp!

But back to the question.
      It's pretty simple.
      Either Romney was still active at Bain after 1999 or he wasn't.
      I don't think he faked his SEC filings. I'm not calling him a felon.

But I do think the time has come for Romney to stop picking and choosing which parts of his career, and which specific years "count."
      It ALL counts.

1. profile image0
        JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Active and CEO isn't the same thing, it's a false dilemma.

You can own a company while not being actively involved in any decisions. Think about real estate investors who hire property managers. My guess would be that Romney wasn't sure if he was going to go back or not, so he didn't officially give up his title until he decided what would happen after the Olympics.

And if anyone wants to talk about Bain's record, and do so with an open mind, I'm happy to talk about the good and the bad. Unfortunately, people generally have their minds already set by their 'team', so my posts and research about it in the past have basically gone ignored.

I don't particularly want to talk about Bain any more than I wanted to talk about Godfather's Pizza when Herman Cain was running. Or e-bay when Meg Whitman was running for governor of CA.
          But Romney has pinned his entire campaign on Bain to the exclusion of any other more directly relevant experience.
          He has made claims about jobs he created while at Bain and downplayed jobs lost or shipped overseas by his company.

It's not a false dilemma really.
          Owning a company and making money from actions that cost people their jobs doesn't support Romney's "I'm the jobs creation king" claim.

1. profile image0

It is a false dilemma. There are 3 options, not 2.

1 - Romney left Bain, and committed a felony by signing SEC documents. Felon.
            2 - Romney didn't leave Bain and was involved with decisions. Liar.
            3 - Romney didn't leave Bain, but wasn't involved with decisions. Neither

Romney's camp has to downplay those aspects of his work at Bain, because the average swing voter isn't going to be looking through SEC filings to discover the truth themselves. If someone says Romney closed down Plant X at ABC Co, they'll think he was destroying jobs, even if that action saved the jobs of hundreds of other workers.

Campaigning isn't about putting out the truth, unfortunately. It's about getting the most people voting for you in the places where you need it.

Every company does things that changes the composition of their work force - it is the company that owns the job -  and is necessary to remain productive , thus preserving even more jobs. Would you prefer vast , inefficient, full employment and no productivity - you would have loved the USSR.

If  an old piece of equipment is replaced and a postion eliminated a job is "lost" but how much more production comes from the change making the company more profitable, therefore better able to preserve other jobs.  If your sole concern is keeping people employed we could still do everything by hand.

Creative destruction is a necessity in a market economy.  But that is ok, when we are all digging for roots and migrating to where the water is you can be nostalgic about the days when the economy worked, B.O. (before Obama)

1. rhamson profile image70
              rhamsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your reasonings rely on good honest observations of a company that is looking out for itself and its employees.  Where your logic fails is when the ownership desires to exclude the people working for him by undercutting them for expanded profits he only gains from.  You might say that he should be able to profit from his endeavors because he has taken the risk on and therefor is entitled to the rewards.  Unfortunately the employees have also taken on the risk of working for him and get canned as a reward for working for him.  Too bad for the employee you may say because that is the capitalist way but after awhile the people the employer undercuts or screws will no longer be able to afford the product he manufactures and he will suffer.  When you break the cycle of societal economics you create a series of events we are beginning to see.  The money goes overseas that used to remain in country and they don't want to buy anything we have to offer.

A business owes nothing to its employees beyond the requirements of maintaining a safe work place - that is it.  The sole real obligation of a business is to make an honest buck.  Those are the basics of it.  A lean efficient business is healthier, worth more as an investment, more able to protect the jobs that remain and do so for a much longer period of time.

How is that bad - in any way?

3. Alternative Prime profile image58
            Alternative Primeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Speaking of, here's a disturbing thought - Republican Meg Whitman was in the running for Governor of CA not so long ago - She was significantly out gunned by Governor Brown and we can all thank the heavens for that fortuitous yet logical turn of events -

By default, Ms, Whitman is now CEO of Hewlett Packard and guess what? Her generalized solution to any and all issues is the same as Romneys and of course all other government adverse tea-bagging Republicans -

"SLASH JOBS"

It was announced recently that Meg Whitman made the decision to substantially reduce the Hewlett Packard workforce by tens of thousands -

"Slice n' Dice", "Shop n' Chop" up Americans lives for personal gain is what the Republicans do best with a long unconscionable proven track record to prove it

If given the chance, wait until Romney gets his Mitts on your Social Security Checks -

4. MichaelJohnMele profile image59
    MichaelJohnMeleposted 11 years ago

Awesome...I love it. Thanks for sharing.

5. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 11 years ago

Romney is most likely both. He is a politician after all.

If he wasn't a felon before he became a politician, I'm pretty sure he has learned ways of being a felon and still remain in office. So far, it's worked.

If he wasn't whining about something, then I wouldn't think he was a politician. He might be a court jester more likely.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6903263_f248.jpg

6. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 11 years ago

The claims made by the Obama campaign have been denounced numerous times:

http://factcheck.org/2012/07/romneys-ba … onclusion/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fac … #pagebreak

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/20 … in-debate/

http://finance.fortune.cnn.com/2012/07/ … eave-bain/

I'm surprised at the Obama machine. Suggesting someone is a felon is serious stuff. Unless, of course, Obama has some evidence that we don't know about. One member of Team Obama is hinting at just that, so we'll see.

I don't think Obama (his surrogates) needs to be throwing around the word "felony," in view of the nose candy from his past.

1. profile image0

Remember habee, they didn't suggest he is a felon. Just that he might be.

Romney might be:

A polygamist
      An undercover Catholic Pope infiltrating the LDS church
      A dog hater
      A vampire
      A member of the illuminati
      Bush's puppet
      A jay-walker

Not saying he is, but he might be...

Obama's attacks should show his character, but people don't look closely enough. Obama attacked Romney for closing down a steel plant owned by a company, in order to save the company. Obama closed down auto factories and slashed wages in order to save the auto industry.

Romney = Job Killer
      Obama = Job Creator/Saver

Obama criticizes Romney for having suggested that the auto industry go through bankruptcy. Obama helped the auto industry go through bankruptcy.

Romney = Uncaring, heartless, hater of American workers
      Obama = Savior of the auto industry

Romney wants to lower corporate tax rates to make America competitive on an international level, in order to encourage growth. Obama wants to give a tax break to companies who hire new employees, in order to encourage growth.

Romney = Corporate puppet
      Obama = Innovator

1. Alternative Prime profile image58

"A Polygamist"

Romneys close relatives were born in Mexico according to reports and admission by Mitt himself - Not because they love the people, culture, or cuisine, but because his grandfather was evidently forced to exit the U.S. in an attempt to escape prevailing law - When you embrace and practice a bizarre belief system such as "Cult Style Mormonism", which had always condoned the keeping of multiple wives, you either stay within the United States borders, adapt to civilization, and respect the laws, or, flee the country to exercise your own self righteous sexual indulgences and desires - Sound familiar? Moving persons and assets to foreign shores to unethically protect yourself against U.S. law or to relieve yourself from a legal requirement of living up to full obligations? - Once again, a historical perspective reveals the Romneys simply  "USED" an entire country called Mexico for personal gain and evading legal consequences of their actions-

"An undercover Catholic Pope infiltrating the LDS church"

Probably not, but he is a bonafide  "Warren Jeffs Disciple", follower, and student -

"A Dog Hater"

Absolutely, either an animal hater, slightly detached from reality, or excessively poor judgement exercised - In either case, the Romneys character should absolutely be questioned and scrutinized - Do you know of anyone who caged a pet and tied it to the roof of a car then proceeded to drive multiple miles? I don't -

"A Vampire"

Actually, the Romneys are much worse - A "Vampire" is a fictional character, the Romneys are real life "Blood Suckers for Profit" - Romney never drained a person of his / her vital bodily fluids literally, however, he does drain entire towns of their life's blood by destroying jobs, critically important income streams, human dignity etc - All in the name of personal profit and gain for himself and chop shops like Bain Capitol -

"A Member of the Illuminati"

Totally false accusation - An individual must attain a certain level of minimal intelligence to be accepted as a member of this elite outfit - Romney, a not so bright cross between W Bush, Rick Perry, and Sister Sarah could never achieve "illuminati status even with a $10,000 cash down payment -

"Bush's Puppet"

No ambiguity here - According to his own words, Romney does and will follow W Bushs' failed policies verbatim -

- More tax gifts to the wealthy
        - Terminate the current Social Security program for our senior citizens
        - Trickle down economics
        - Suppress women's health care
        - Repeal health care rights and protections for all Americans

We know Obama loves dogs - especially when they are properly cooked.

1. Alternative Prime profile image58

At least they were "whacked" expediently and spared torture -

You don't let your dog hang his head out the car window while driving?  Securely strapping the dog crate to the top of the car is torture.  I wonder how excited the dog was to be free of the car and his head in the wind?  Worse than a dog riding on a motorcycle?  Worse than being slaughtered for the table?

7. profile image0
    JimMilesposted 11 years ago
  8. Xenonlit profile image60
    Xenonlitposted 11 years ago

These racist Republicans and teabaggers make me sick.

They have consistently lied about President Obama's birthplace and anything else they felt like lying about. They never stopped attacking with the most racist viciousness since the 1950s They threatened to kill the man, and have done every dirty, crooked thing that they could do, including stealing the nation's treasure to fill their own pockets.

Now they are whining about their pitiful excuse for a presidential candidate being exposed for a creep and crook.

Romney is a psychopath who impersonated a law enforcement official, viciously attacked a classmate, abused his pet, and giggles whenever he is confronted about his glaring flaws and faults.

Heck yes, he's a felon and a whiner. The bits that have already been exposed about him conceal the boulders that he wants to keep hiding. It's time to swift boat this guy, shut the Tea Party down, and put the nation out of its misery.

Did heeat his pet?

2. Reality Bytes profile image75
      Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This really is all you got, huh?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)