1 Link to a page which I own

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (12 posts)
  1. OpinionatedMan profile image40
    OpinionatedManposted 11 years ago

I'm new, and did not find this question elsewhere.  I put up a half-dozen hubs, all around 600 words, then, using the "links" selection, I put in a link to my own website so that readers can see what else I've written.  This link was for my home page, as opposed to a topic-specific page.  I was pushed in the corner and made to wear a paper cone on my head.  This is the only possible violation which I can determine as responsible for setting off the Hub Pages police sirens.  When I signed up for Hub Pages, it was very clear that I can link to my own website.  1 link per 600-word article hardly seems like commercialization.  I asked Hub Pages, but they didn't answer.  Before I re-"submit" my Hubs, I'd like some clarification.  I turned off the ads too, since I'm not interested in having Google AdSense and I can't make money from Hub Pages without such an account.  I added the Hub Pages thingy to my website so that my followers can find my Hub Pages.  I don't post the same articles in the different places.  Is there an acceptable way to have a link to my own homepage from Hub Pages without having ads on my pages?  If I have to have ads in order to do this, can I make money without using my AdSense account?

1. MelissaBarrett profile image57
      MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You can't link every single hub you write to your own web-site or really any one web-site.  It's overpromotional.

Hub pages does not exist to provide people with free advertising to other sites.

It's in the Terms of Service.

2. Dale Hyde profile image80
      Dale Hydeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Link only to sites with related material. Self-promotion will only stumble you. RELATED is a must to remember in all aspects of linking including the Amazon and Ebay capsules, RSS feed and "other" posts of yours elsewhere on the web. This is for your own good.  Google digests all "related" material, and related only. If you have non-related material, Google will burp.  If related, your ranking and views go up...if Google burps, your ratings and views will go down.

2. OpinionatedMan profile image40
    OpinionatedManposted 11 years ago

Thanks to both Dale and Melissa.  I'll just stay away from posting links of any kind.  It seems that the TOS should be more explicit - especially when an enticement to join Hub Pages was being able to link to my homepage.  I will remove the link from my website to Hub Pages as well.

1. Dale Hyde profile image80

The enticement you mention, I do believe, is that you can link to your webpage on your profile page.

OpinionatedManposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Maybe I inferred more.  (also see WryLilt last sentence)

3. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 11 years ago

From the FAQ:

My Hub was moderated for being overly promotional; what does that mean?
    Purely promotional offers and Hubs designed only to promote other sites or businesses are not allowed. In particular, the following actions are likely to get your Hubs identified as overly promotional:

including more than 2 links to any one domain
    linking to the same domain in the body of the text AND in an RSS feed
    short "teasers" with links to "read more" at another site
    linking to sites/pages/Hubs that are unrelated to your Hub's topic
    including links to a page that contains largely the same content as your Hub
    Please note that promotional links are links that you have any interest in promoting (your blog, your Website, affiliate offers, etc.). Links to well-known Web resources which you don't have any personal interest in (like Wikipedia, news sites, encyclopedias, open directories, etc.) are exempt from this limitation.

-------------------------

I link to my own sites from a lot of hubs. However they're all directly related and the hubs are usually over 1,000 words and content rich.

OpinionatedManposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No matter how many times I read the TOS, it seems (to me) that I wasn't pushing the envelope.  For now, maybe I'll just ask people to comment on my posts and I won't use any links.  I'm really more interested in people's opinions as to my writing and as to whether the content is worthy in the first place.  Thanks for the incite on your use of links as well.

1. WryLilt profile image89
        WryLiltposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Have you tried placing your hubs in the Extreme Hub Makeover forum for feedback?

Another issue is if your websites or websites you link to are classed as affiliate links (ones used to make commission). I know that has caused some people some issues. Examples include sites like Clickbank and Commissions Junction.

2. Dale Hyde profile image80

I link to some of my other hubs if they are related. The practice of linking to other hubs and articles, however, is something I am doing less of.  The problem when I link to other's material is that suddenly I will end up with a broken link that I have to deal with when their account is unpublished or they delete the hub.  A broken link is not a good thing to have when your hub is being looked at by Google. I do try to check daily for broken links, but it is not always possible.

1. WryLilt profile image89
          WryLiltposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's why I only link to my own hubs and sites, so I keep the traffic on my own content smile

3. MelissaBarrett profile image57
        MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

From the Terms of Use

http://hubpages.com/help/user_agreement

4. RESTRICTIONS AND PROHIBITIONS ON USE
        In Your use of the Service You must abide by the following restrictions and prohibitions on use. As a Service User or Author, You may Not:.....

Engage in behavior that is overly promotional, including excessive linking to one site or domain...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)