Recipe hubs without photos?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Cardisa profile image88
    Cardisaposted 11 years ago

I know it's the recipe that counts but we eat with our eyes. When we see photos of great food we want to create and eat them.

I always wonder how people react to recipes without photos as I am seeing quite a number of them. Even a photo of the main or one of the ingredients would be fine. You don't have to post the complete dish even though that would be better.

What are your thoughts on this?

This is a genuine question as I have tons of recipe that I haven't posted because I have no photos yet, so would like to get some feedback.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
      Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have few recipe hubs which I'd posted at the beginning without photos because I didn't have a camera then. I agree though, it's far better to have photos of the dish if you can. Now, I have to learn how to take decent photographs of my food. lol

2. Benoitsmidget profile image74
      Benoitsmidgetposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree. I know when I am looking for a recipe, I always end up choosing one with a photo. I realize that not everyone knows how to upload a photo, but I agree it definitely helps to have one.

3. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Go to google images. Search for (as an example), "chili:site:.gov." No quotes. Something will turn up that you can use.

4. novascotiamiss profile image70
      novascotiamissposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I usually search for recipes according to ingredients (e.g. at the moment I'm looking for zucchini recipes). I totally agree with you, if a recipe has one or several appealing  photographs it's more interesting and wets my appetite. When I browse through magazines these kind of recipes definitely catch my eye, whereas the ones without photographs remain unnoticed. Recipes with photographs will definitely get more attention.

2. Margaret Skipper profile image60
    Margaret Skipperposted 11 years ago

Hmm, i think a photo would probably help a hub when listed on your profile. That seems to be the first thing that interest me on profiles. The title is usually second, so if have a great title that could make up for the picture. Also, the search engines only show your title anyway.
    If you have a good following, they will probably look at your hub anyway because they are already familiar with you. I personally don't trust recipe pictures, esp from magazines, my creations never look that good! sad  On the other hand, yummy looking pictures do make me want to eat...lol.  This one is sort of hard. Im planning to make some recipe hubs that will probably go pictureless for a few weeks until i can develop the film. Develop the film? lol, yes i use a vintage 35mm camera.

Cardisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Google shows your photos and videos if you use the Google authorship.

I want to post my recipes but have been holding back as I feel weird posting them without photos..lol....I haven't used a film camera in years, though I do have a brand new (used once) one.

3. SmartAndFun profile image93
    SmartAndFunposted 11 years ago

I also have tons of recipes that I've not written a hub about because I, too, prefer to publish recipes with photos. Don't photos help curry favor with search engines and tell them that the page is one of quality? That's why I like to include photos -- to elevate the quality of the page, not just for search engines but also the reader.

As for search engines only showing the title, that's not exactly true. If you publish your recipe using the HubPages recipe template, the first photo in your hub will show in Google search results as part of the "rich snippets" program. It is not guaranteed that the photo will show, and it may take a week or two for it to show up in results, but mine seem to always show up, eventually. I don't know about search engines other than Google, though.

1. Margaret Skipper profile image60
      Margaret Skipperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh ok, i don't use Google! But maybe i should if the search results are better looking.

Margaret, Google automatically crawl you articles regardless of whether or not you "use" Google so so long as you use the recipe capsules your recipes will show up in Google's search engine.

2. Cardisa profile image88

Smart And Fun, yes, I forgot about the recipe capsules. Plus if you are a Google plus member and you connect your profiles, your photos and videos will show up in search.

4. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

Oh, yes!  Please have a photo with that recipe!  It is very helpful to have a photograph or photographs to illustrate your finished product as well as the step-by-step cooking process.  It brings out the inner piggy in me because I will comment, save your recipe, and hopefully try it out.  Oh, YUM!

What happens to me sometimes is I totally forget to take the step by step photos especially if I am working while cooking...lol, but I always have a photo of the finished product.

5. profile image0

A photo of the finished product will do!  If the recipe is a little harder than most, it is helpful that a step-by-step is added.  I agree.  You can get into your cooking and forget all about taking photographs.  I've also had steam from the cooking cloud up my lens.

Yes, the steam does that to me all the time and sometime I still post the photos as they look real and I like to show that I actually cooked the thing...lol

1. profile image0
        jenuboukaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

hey had to chime in....Photos for recipes will go along way.,  Good quality and original.   After that nitemare cheesecake venture my camera is shot...covered in sugary cream cheese goo.  Hey all for getting that perfect shot....

lol lol lol, pity you can't really eat the camera....hehe

1. profile image0
            jenuboukaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh, I never want to see cream cheese, pumpkin, or sugar for the rest of my days....

and yes, I did lick the camera a few times...

2. Hollie Thomas profile image61
      Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Me too. Made pea soup tonight, it was absolutely steaming and I took photos for my blog. I was so greedy that I didn't even wait for it to cool down before I devoured it. I've burnt my mouth. big_smile

LOL LOL, happens to me all the time.That's why I make a pledge to let the food sit at least ten minutes before eating!

6. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 11 years ago

Yes, photos help, but my two fave recipes (cheesy mince risotto, vege mix soup) were both discovered online without photos.

I guess it depends if it's a common recipe or style?

I guess if it's a common recipe it doesn't matter? I want to post some more of my recipes but feel weird without photos. I guess I could try one and see how the response goes. I posted a marmalade recipe with just the oranges but that's marmalade...lol

7. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 11 years ago

I have to admit I have mixed feelings about photos for recipes.  I definitely believe they attract more attention and interest for the reader (and probably for the search engine too, but what do I know?).  However I, as an actual user, rarely use recipes that have a picture.  That's because when I am searching for a specific recipe, I have other criteria that interest me more: the ingredients, the steps, the time required.  The comments below the recipe also help me to decide whether it's something I want to try or not.  When I first started looking at recipes online, I copied bunches of them to my hard drive, and the pretty pictures were a big factor for me then.  But I'm not sure I have ever actually cooked more than half a dozen or so out of the dozens upon dozens I copied.

My guess (opinion) is that recipes with pictures may cause a flurry of excitement at first and help to create traffic.  But over the long term, it's the value of the actual recipe that will matter the most.  I could see posting a few good ones without pictures, but making sure you cook it up and take a photo soon and add the picture as soon as you can.  That way, you could test for yourself how much of a difference the photo makes.

Thanks Aficionada. I'll try a few recipes without the photos. It will be hard but I guess I'll have to try it and see what happens.

8. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

The vast majority of my cookbooks have no or minimal illustration. In fact, I avoid buying cookbooks with lots of glossy photographs, because I consider them a waste of money. I do not feel the illustrations add anything useful whatsoever.

Thus, I am not in the least concerned about whether a recipe is illustrated. If I happen on one with a photograph on the web, I don't really look at the photo. I am more interested in the ingredients and how they are used.

Thanks WriteAngled. I guess I have been spoiled with looking at pretty pictures...lol, because I tend to go for the cookbook with photos. The only cookbook I have used without pictures is "The Joy of Cooking" and find it is one of the best cookbooks ever put together.

9. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

When I see craft or recipe hubs with no photos I tend to suspect the author had not actually made the product.

I feel the same way too...lol

10. profile image0

Exactly!  If I see a photograph of the craft or the recipe, I'd be saying to myself, "I want to make this!"

11. holyjeans30 profile image66
    holyjeans30posted 11 years ago

If it's a recipe I was looking for I prefer to see a picture.  Lots of times I have simply skipped past a recipe without one.  Kind of sad because I may have missed out on a great recipe but I guess that's just how my mind works.  However, if the title is good enough to reel me in and the ingredients aren't over the top, I will sometimes read a recipe without a photo.  Don't know if that helps.  Really just depends on the individual.

12. freecampingaussie profile image62
    freecampingaussieposted 11 years ago

They need photos to show you what it looks like . Travel hubs need photos as well. I usually leave a comment saying that photos woild help the hub out a lot .

13. carol7777 profile image74
    carol7777posted 11 years ago

i always try to have at least three photos as people do like to see what they eat.  I have stayed through to the end of a recipe when there is a photo.  It does get readers to stay on target.

14. Jean Rogers profile image71
    Jean Rogersposted 11 years ago

When searching recipes, I usually choose one with a photo too. There is something about seeing the final product that steers me towards a recipe. I agree with your idea about at least posting photos of some of the ingredients if you don't have a picture of the final dish. That at least adds some imagery to the hub.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)