Does the award for the greatest evil go to Satan or God?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (49 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Greatest I amposted 11 years ago

Does the award for the greatest evil go to Satan or God?

Many blame Satan for the evils of this world even as his power to deceive all of us comes from God.

As the creator of Satan, many think that God deserves the blame as he knew what Satan would be because God knows everything in advance.

What is the greatest evil you can think of and who do you think is to blame for it?

Who is the greatest sinner, Satan or God?

I lean toward God as scriptures name him the Alpha and Omega which to me means the best and the worse. Also, scriptures have God saying not to place any other above him and I would be going against this by placing Satan above him in the category of the most evil. I do not want to break the first commandment.

Do you dare by putting Satan above God?

Regards
    DL

1. Dustin Staples profile image60
      Dustin Staplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There's two conflicting views a theist can hold: everything originates, or emanates from God, putting him above Satan; or, Satan has existed eternity to counter the goodness that is God.
      You should look up Gnosticism, it has an interesting take on the spawn of evil.

1. profile image0
        Greatest I amposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I happen to call myself a Gnostic Christian. I do not recall what their scriptures say on this issue. We tend not to read scriptures literally. Not even our own as they were just written to open dialog and not really point to any given God.
        God, or better said, access to him is within each of us.

Care to refresh my memory in brief on the scripture you ar referring to?

Regards
        DL

1. Dustin Staples profile image60
          Dustin Staplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The gist of what I read on gnosticism was from it's wiki page smile, but it says the material world was created by a demi-god, and because the demi-god is not perfect, evil inevitably entered the world (this demi-god has been called adam or satan). Jesus is seen as either the embodiment of the true God, who brings gnosis (or knowledge) , or just a man who attained divinity - or gnosis -, alike the buddhist enlightenment.

1. profile image0

To this Gnostic Christian, Jesus was just an archetypal good man. Seems a shame to insult a good man by tying his good name to the genocidal God of the O T.

Regards
            DL

2. A Troubled Man profile image59
      A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I can't remember where I read it, but the body count in the Bible is approximately:

Satan = 8
      God = 32 Million

Seems pretty obvious who is the greatest evil based on murdering people.

1. profile image0

No argument.

Regards
        DL

3. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The word evil implies Satan. Us humans have a neat way of transferring blame. "The devil made me do it". We also don't like to take credit. "Thank God for putting food on the table" Wait, don't thank God, thank the person who made the money and bought the food. And Wait, don't blame the devil for you wrong doing. Accept blame. On Christmas morning, don't lay out a bunch of gifts and say Santa put them there. You bought them and put them under the tree, put you name on them. God or Satan only exists in ones mind.

1. profile image0

No argument but I like Christmas being for children. They will know soon enough that it is a fantasy given to entertain children.

Unfortunately, Christians forget to tell their children that religions are all myth based as well.

Regards
        DL

1. profile image0

I like Christmas being about children as well, but they can thank there parents. What happens when we lie to a child. They learn it's okay to lie and deceive someone for one's own entertainment.

1. profile image0

Christmas lying is for the child's entertainment more than for the adult's.

Regards
            DL

1. profile image0

Just how is that entertaining for the child? I think it's a good way of introducing a belief system, but the kid doesn't care if there is a Santa and would be more happy if he knew all these gifts came from his parents. Are we to afraid of gratitude? Do we have to pretend someone else bought the gifts. When I do something wrong I accept the blame.

1. profile image0

You have never seen children entertained by Santa?
                You should get out more.

Regards
                DL

1. profile image0

Did I say I never saw a child being entertained by Santa? I've been to the mall.

1. profile image0

Then if you were there, you can answer your own question.

"Just how is that entertaining for the child?"

I have also played at being Santa and also found it entertaining just to watch the children being entertained.

Regards
                    DL

4. God made science profile image59
      God made scienceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Both are harmless characters lol

1. profile image0

I know what you are saying but ask women and Gays just how harmless theistic beliefs are.

They continue to be denigrated and discriminated against mostly because of what the religions teach.
        It is my view that all literalists and fundamentals hurt all of us who are Religionists.
        They all hurt their parent religions and everyone else who has a belief. They make us all into laughing stocks and should rethink their position. There is a Godhead but not the God of talking animals, genocidal floods and retribution. Belief in fantasy is evil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HKHaClU … playnext=1

They also do much harm to their own.

African witches and Jesus
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlRG9gXr … re=related

Jesus Camp 1of 9
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBv8tv62yGM

Promoting death to Gays.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMw2Zg_B … re=related

For evil to grow my friends, all good people need do is nothing.
        Fight them when you can. It is your duty to our fellow man.

Regards
        DL

1. God made science profile image59
          God made scienceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are on a roll lol

5. Don W profile image84
      Don Wposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Depends what you mean by God. Can I take it you are referring to the classical Christian concept of God? If you are, then your question is nonsensical, because that god is, by definition, infinitely good. So your question is a contradiction in terms.

If you want to assert such a being doesn't exists, fair enough. If you want to assert that such a being exists but doesn't meet the classical Christian definition, fair enough. But if you accept that the classical Christian God exists for the sake of argument, as you have, you can't then suggest that being is evil. That makes your argument incoherent.

1. profile image0

Only if you are foolish enough to think that genocide is good and good justice is punishing the innocent and not the guilty.

Is that your immoral position?

Regards
        DL

1. Don W profile image84

I don't think you've understood me.

I'll try again. You can say God (as defined in the classical Christian tradition) doesn't exist. And you can say a god exists but is not the one described by Christian theology. But you can't (and by can't I mean the rules of logic prevent it) say that the Christian God exists, but is not good. That is, by definition, impossible.

Try it this way. If I say I have a shape with 3 sides (let's call it a triangle), you can say my shape doesn't exist, or you can say my shape actually has 5 sides, but you can't accept that I have a triangle, and then say it has 5 sides. That would be, by definition, impossible because a triangle is defined as a shape with 3 sides. See what I mean?

Either the Christian God does not exist, or a god exists that's different to the Christian god. Either of those arguments is fine, but if you say the Christian God exists, but is not good, that's the equivalent of saying a triangle exists with 5 sides. It's a contradiction in terms.

1. profile image0

I have not said that the Christian God exists.
            I can say that if the Christian God exists, he is a prick if the bible is to be believed. He is not to theists but then they are delusional to begin with.

Since I did not say God existed I will ignore your rest.

Regards
            DL

1. Don W profile image84

Hate to be pedantic about this but you really can't, not without contradicting yourself. That's kind of my whole point. If the Christian God does exist then it can't be anything other than what classical Christian theology says it is, otherwise, by definition, it's not the Christian God. Being 'a prick' is not part of the classical Christian definition of God. It's therefore logically impossible for the Christian God to be a prick, in the same way that it's logically impossible for a triangle to have 5 sides. To make it possible you would have to change the definitions of 'triangle', '5' or 'sides'. Likewise to make what you've said possible, you'd have to change the definitions of 'Christian', 'god' or 'prick'. Does that make sense to you? I'm actually trying to help. You would be better off just saying that you think the Christian God does not exist.

1. profile image0

If people don't get that from what I wright then they are too dense for me to bother with.

Regards
                DL

1. Don W profile image84

Probably best though if your argument isn't a contradiction in terms, as that detracts from what you might be trying to say. I understand the point you are making, but the way you make it is nonsensical, which is a barrier to anyone who has any understanding of the application of logic. Just saying.

1. profile image0

Theists do not use logic.

Regards
                    DL

6. profile image56
      stoneyyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

God.  After all it 'manufactured' everything as well as determined what each person would think, do, or say, when it said the magic words and created the universe.

Such is the Christian malevolent fairy tale.
      (shrug)

1. profile image0

+ 1

Regards
        DL

2. jacharless profile image76
    jacharlessposted 11 years ago

Gnostic Christian? Lol
    That is the ultimate theistic paradoxical. The two cannot coexist without destroying their host.

As for who gets the brownie button: it goes to man, who is -generally speaking- ha-satan to Knowledge, meaning the collective options of good-evil.

James

1. profile image0

No thinking person would agree with you being the traditional Satan but I do agree that it is all mankind. Who else can do anything. Certainly not an absentee God or fictional Satan.

We nust all grow up a bit. Here is the formula.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGx4IlppSgU

Regards
      DL

3. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

Neither exist so the greatest evil is Man.

1. profile image0

+ 1

Regards
      DL

4. profile image55
    Wruyposted 11 years ago

Man is the winner of the greatest evil. The Devil only amplifies that which is already in our hearts. God made you and me to have free will, so even though he could have made us robots to do whatever he wanted, he gave us the free will to live how we want to. Man made its choice. Continue reading the scriptures you may have missed out on some stuff.

1. profile image0

For sure. I suggest you do the same.

It was God's plan from the beginning to have Adam and Eve eat the forbidden fruit. This can be demonstrated by the fact that the bible says that Jesus "was crucified from the foundations of the Earth," that is to say, God planned to crucify Jesus as atonement for sin before he even created human beings or God damned sin.

If God had not intended humans to sin from the beginning, why did he build into the Creation this "solution" for sin? Why create a solution for a problem you do not anticipate?

God knew that the moment he said "don't eat from that tree," the die was cast. The eating was inevitable. Eve was merely following the plan.

This then begs the question.

What kind of God would plan and execute the murder of his own son when there was absolutely no need to?

Only an insane God. That’s who.

The cornerstone of Christianity is human sacrifice, thus showing it‘s immorality.

One of Christianity's highest form of immorality is what they have done to women.
      They have denied them equality and subjugated them to men.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqN8EYII … re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dspWh9g … re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c0RFxXr … re=related

Regards
      DL
      ------------------------

Christians are always trying to absolve God of moral culpability in the fall by whipping out their favorite "free will!", or “ it’s all man’s fault”.

That is "God gave us free will and it was our free willed choices that caused our fall. Hence God is not blameworthy."

But this simply avoids God's culpability as the author of Human Nature. Free will is only the ability to choose. It is not an explanation why anyone would want to choose "A" or "B" (bad or good action). An explanation for why Eve would even have the nature of "being vulnerable to being easily swayed by a serpent" and "desiring to eat a forbidden fruit" must lie in the nature God gave Eve in the first place. Hence God is culpable for deliberately making humans with a nature-inclined-to-fall, and "free will" means nothing as a response to this problem.

If all sin by nature then, the sin nature is dominant. If not, we would have at least some who would not sin.

Having said the above for the God that I do not believe in, I am a Gnostic Christian naturalist, let me tell you that evil is all human generated. Evil is our responsibility.

Much has been written to explain what I see as a natural part of evolution.

Consider.
      First, let us eliminate what some see as evil. Natural disasters. These are unthinking occurrences and are neither good nor evil. There is no intent to do evil even as victims are created.

Evil then is only human to human.
      As evolving creatures, all we ever do, and ever can do, is compete or cooperate.
      Cooperation we would see as good as there are no victims created. Competition would be seen as evil as it creates a victim. We all are either cooperating, doing good, or competing, doing evil at all times.

Without us doing some of both, we would likely go extinct.

This, to me, explains why there is evil in the world quite well.

Be you a believer in nature, evolution or God, we should all see that what Christians see as something to blame, evil, we should see that what we have, competition, deserves a huge thanks for being available to us. Wherever it came from. God or nature.

There is no conflict between nature and God on this issue. This is how things are and should be. We all must do what some will think is evil as we compete and create losers to this competition.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ProfMTH#g/c … F680C1DBEB

This is why I give God the award as the most evil.

Regards
      DL

5. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

If God is all powerful...

Then He created or permits Satan to exist.

Therefor....

Or maybe He isn't and is just one of many...

Or maybe neither exist at all...

1. profile image0

That is the likelihood.

Regards
      DL

6. profile image55
    Wruyposted 11 years ago

Lol you made a good point, but it sounds as though you do believe that God does exist. If you did not think he did you would not be getting all worked up about it. We were given a choice. All Man was given a choice. The choice to do good or evil. If a man says he is of God and does nothing but evil what does that make him?...... the answer is , he is not of God. If everyone cooperated then we would all be working towards a better future. We wouldn't need money, nobody would be starving, wars would not be happening. Mankind competes for petty things, and because of this we have so many problems in this world. The bible also says that God knew us before we were in the womb. We are all sent out on this journey.(life) We are tested daily. Natural disasters, problems in our lives, = tests. Its to see how we will react. Will we push away from God and claim ourselves to be better because of one little incident that makes us sour towards him. Or will we trust that maybe God who created EVERYTHING might know a liiiiittle more than us, and that his plan will work out for our good. You know to tell you the truth I found this website on accident. I was looking for a new job. But really it kinda feels like I was meant to be here just to start this dialogue with you. Your opions are not being scoffed at.  But your kinda generalizing when you say that CHRISTIANS did all these bad things. Again what are christians. Men and Women. What are men and women capable of.... Evil acts beyond imagination. But we as people are also capable of Actual and Genuine kindness and love. Whether you want to admit it or not you do believe there is a God. And he does love you. It just might take a little more time for you to see that. I don't mind further discussion.

1. profile image0

You speak in evolutionary term. Cooperation and competition.

You indicate that we can somehow take competition out of our system.

Pie in the sky. FMPOV.
      Change my mind by showing how you would do such in a fairly benign activity.

I.E.
      Humans compete for knowledge. In school, we have competitions, exams, to bring the fittest to the top and the weakest to the bottom.
      That could be called a non-destructive game but it still has a loser who, if he continues to lose at competitions, will eventually die. He will see his situation as evil.

How do you get around this?
      How can the loser be made to feel like a winner?

Regards
      DL

7. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

A superior being does exist. The law of infinity demands it. As to whether He gives a damn about us is another matter entirely.

1. profile image0

How so when we have yet to show that anything is infinite?

Regards
      DL

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)