Relationship Between Self-Perception and Self-Actualization

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

Of course, everyone has heard of the self-fulfilling prophecy which how one perceives himself/herself, he/she eventually becomes.   In other words, what one thinks about, one eventually becomes.    This is not only theory but good old common horse sense.    Research and studies have continuously substantiated that highly successful people always had positive images of themselves in addition to actually visualizing that they WILL succeed in their chosen area.     Conversely, many people who are failures believed from the beginning that they were undeserving of success and they were failures and incapable.   

This thinking does not only apply to the career and success arena.   This thinking applies to many areas of life.    For example, if a person believes that when he/she becomes old, he/she will be incapacitated and senile,  chances are he/she will become that.     One thinking and attitude does influence one's life outcome.     That is why the most important component to success and happiness in other areas of life is to have positive visualization about oneself.   That coupled with positive strategizing and smart work.    Do you agree with this premise?

1. Shadesbreath profile image76
      Shadesbreathposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with the premise, but I think it's too abstract for a lot of people to do anything with. Many people who fall into the group who see themselves undeserving, cannot simply summon a rosy image and go get it. It's not tangible enough, and for so many, they have no examples that are accessible in a real, constant, and meaningful way. Someone who comes from a background of low expectation, who grew up in that environment, knows nothing else. They have no way to conceive a world that is different than the one they know. There is only "one" reality for them. Some successful person trotting in saying, "Hey, just visualize, make a plan, and execute," isn't going to cut it.

They need to be taught how to visualize rather than simply dream, then they need to be shown how to make a plan (how to eat the elephant, so to speak), shown how to track progress, how to overcome setbacks, and, ultimately, how to achieve goals.  This has to be done on a small scale first. You can't just take someone from a horrific environment and say, "Here, here's a plan for getting through college!" You have to do something more like, "Here's a plan for reading this one novel all the way through," or "Here's a plan for how to save $1000." They have to be shown how to succeed in increments that seem possible and that yield results in a time frame in keeping with the patience they can reasonably be expected to have, given that you are challenging their understanding of how the universe works based on their actual experience with it.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
        gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+ a multillion times!

2. ptosis profile image67
      ptosisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think you're argument is a logical fallacy?

Ummm, but not 100% either or - yes?

No, not really. Sociopaths might have a really great feeling of self-worth - but I don't consider them 'successful' as a human being.  Really beautiful women think they are ugly.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1 … _3#preview
      Impostor Phenomenon A person suffering from the Imposter Phenomenon believes that even though they are successful they believe that their accomplishments were the result of luck or some external circumstance

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/05/05/scien … amp;src=pm

"'For most teachers, self-esteem is a theory they invent to cover the fact that they have low expectations for kids,'' Professor Elmore said. By contrast, he said, the premise of an experimental program in District 2, which includes much of Manhattan's poor Lower East Side, is to train teachers to ''accept no excuses'' and to expect the same level of achievement that would be required of any middle-class student"

If talking about Self-Esteem and Career Success  - then I agree because that's competitive office politics.

2. Jewels profile image83
    Jewelsposted 11 years ago

This thread led me back to recent articles on this topic. 1.  How fake smiling makes you miserable.  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/scie … rable.html

and 2. The Positive Power of Negative Thinking. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/05/opini … .html?_r=3

I know of many people who have been trying to fake it until they make it, only to not make it at all.  In the process creating a mask of happiness covering miserableness.

It's also disturbing that a person can only see positive self perception when they are successful in a career, earn heaps of cash, own big homes and the latest car, and look like a super model.  Does society judge a person as unsuccessful if they have not attained those goals?  Our yard stick on which we measure success is skewed to begin with and of course this has a negative impact on people from the outset.

Tabloid media barrages people with the model of a successful person.  It's fake.  So I do wonder if these positive affirmation/visualization techniques keep creating false people?

1. Lee Tea profile image85
      Lee Teaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Jewels - there are many articles written on the benefits of faking a smile. Here's one, although I don't believe it to be the best out there: http://longevity.about.com/od/lifelongb … iling.htm.  I fake a smile in my promotional modeling work, and know that it helps make me a living. Just FYI, not advocating.  I agree with your other points, and those of ShadesBreath. It's not enough to hear about the tool...you must be taught how to use it for it to be effective, and set a goal to reach to know when you've reached it.  But an interesting thread gmwilliams, and great food for thought this evening.  Thanks for writing!

1. Jewels profile image83
        Jewelsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Of course there is smiling to make a living, then there is the genuine heartfelt smile.  The later is what makes you feel young.

I often wonder how damaging it is for telemarketers and customer service personnel to continually smile and talk positively when in fact they hate their jobs and don't give a hoot about the products they are selling.

2. Melissa A Smith profile image95
      Melissa A Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1!

3. ptosis profile image67
    ptosisposted 11 years ago

I am Happy! I tell you! H-A-P-P-Y !!!!
    http://www.everythingscary.com/scary/games/images/scary-smile.jpg

HAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPYYYYYYYY!

http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/images/2008/01/JORDIN%2520SPARKS%2520FAKE%2520SMILE%2520MAGAZINE%2520COVER1.jpg

1. Melissa A Smith profile image95
      Melissa A Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)