Missing an Opportunity?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (29 posts)
  1. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

Is Obama missing an opportunity by not coming out more vocally and forecfully in support of the protesters in Iran?

Here's a case where those public speaking skills might come in handy.

Seeing the US president unequivocally state our support for their bid for real democratic reform in Iran might have a very significant effect on the protesters and events there. Or, maybe it would have no effect. Or, it could backfire if the protests peter out and relations end up that much worse. In any case, it seems a ripe moment to state our support for democracy.

Thoughts?

1. profile image0
      Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He did make his "thoughts" known. He went and had ice cream with his daughters during the heat of the action - AND - he asked reporters to come along with him, just to make sure no one missed his "point".

tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A bold statesman.

2. nicomp profile image60
        nicompposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Bush was vilified for similar activities during the first day of the Katrina aftermath.

1. profile image0

Yeah, but that's not the issue here. With all of Obama's eloquence, why does he not comment, at the very least, on the struggle these people are having for their own freedom?

1. profile image0
            pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Today he did.

But more to the point, 1) this isn't about us, and 2) if he is too aggressive in his comments he actually hurts the people doing the protesting by accusing them of being backed by the U.S. and our suspect investment in the region.

I think we should get our dog out of this fight and let the Iranians decide their own fate. They are doing that and doing it very well, and it's their right to do it. It's not up to us and it's a sign of how full our themselves so many Americans are that there is even this big need to make it about us.

1. profile image0

I don't completely agree with this statement pgrundy. In one way it is very much about us. We are still the world leader in freedom and many countries look to us to see what we'll do next. Obama has no problem ordering the Israelis about, but with Iran, he's mum. I don't think he is ignoring the issue. I think he's doing exactly what he believes is right. I just don't happen to agree with him.

1. RKHenry profile image64
                RKHenryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I curious about something here.  When did Obama order Israel to do anything?  I must have missed it.

2. RKHenry profile image64
      RKHenryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think he is afraid to speak.  I think he is just patiently waiting.  What is happening over in Iran, is liberty and revolution.  I think he is smart to stand aside and wait it out.  Great subject matter!  Very interesting.

2. tksensei profile image60

I wonder if Obama is afraid to speak out more directly and forecefully in support of the protesters for fear of harming his hoped for negotiations with the Iranian regime.

3. LondonGirl profile image82
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

If the protestors are too strongly associated with the west, it won't do them any good, I reckon.

1. profile image0

Yeah, as long as they crawl like worms, they'll be safe.

4. tksensei profile image60

As things continue to escalate, we risk winding up on the wrong side of history. In the name of leaving open our options to negotiate with the current ruling regime? Could be a big mistake. In any case, being timid about our values in favor of a state sponsor of terrorism doesn't reflect well on us. Other nations - like France - have come out more clearly in support of the protestors than us so far.

5. nicomp profile image60
    nicompposted 14 years ago

He can't do what Bush did because he campaigned against that. Bush expressed concern for Kurds being murdered by the Hussein regime and that eventually became part of the basis for the invasion of Iraq.

6. tksensei profile image60

Sounds like a foreign policy based on cowardice.

1. nicomp profile image60

It's touch-feely Liberal/Progressive/Democrat slight-of-hand. If Obama sends in any type of military force, he'll be doing it because it's the "right thing to do", not because he's in bed with the Nasty Oil Companies as Bush was portrayed.

Clinton sent troops all over the world. Bosnia, Somalia, Haiti, and he authorized the bombing of Yugoslavia. For the final two years of Clinton's administration U.S. aircraft routinely attacked hostile Iraqi anti-air installations inside the Iraqi no-fly zones.

However, since he was a Liberal/Progressive/Democrat, he got a free pass, unlike Bush.

2. profile image0
      pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah maybe he should slobber "Death to Ahmadinejad!" and pump his fist up and down.

That'll prove he's no pussy.

1. utu profile image59
        utuposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wooohoa only my second day on and this is getting heavy... I hate politics....... They are all as bad as each other.

2. tksensei profile image60

7. tksensei profile image60

Things in Tehran seem to still be on-going and very dangerous. The protesters deserve more support.

8. tksensei profile image60

And now Chavez is speaking out in support of the ruling regime. That says a lot.

1. nicomp profile image60

The guy that called Bush the Devil and embraced Danny Glover at the United Nations?

The same.

9. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

We have no idea what is going on in the background...not everything is reported to the media.

Why do you ask these questions when you have already made up your mind? Be a man and state your opinions right out.

LOL! I'll just bet you took the same approach to the previous administration! The shameless switch from "He's the devil and everything he does or says is an indication of deep conspiracy and pure evil!" to "No matter what he says or does he is pure and good and is the hope of the world and if you can't see that you just don't understand his secret plans for goodness!"

It is becoming hilarious.

10. tksensei profile image60

To be fair, he has made comments, but they have been relatively timid and only gradually more clearly supportive of the protesters. This situation strikes me as a moment in history that requires real leadership, not cautious, measured political ass-covering. Perhaps we see now if he has it in him to be a leader and not just an empty suit. Stay tuned.

1. profile image0

"German chancellor Angela Merkel has urged the ruling regime in Tehran to allow a full recount of the disputed presidential elections of June 12. “Germany sides with those Iranians who want to exercise their right to freedom of expression and assembly”, Merkel declared on Sunday; making it one of the strongest messages sent by any Western leader to Iran so far. Chancellor Merkel also called on Tehran to allow peaceful demonstrations, to refrain from using force against protestors, and to release imprisoned opposition figures. “Human and civil rights have to be fully respected,” she stated. Merkel further demanded that restrictions placed on foreign media covering the widespread protests across Tehran and the rest of the country be lifted."

WE used to be the ones championing freedom all over the world. I agree with your earlier comment "Sounds like a foreign policy based on cowardice."  And there is something in between
      ". . . . . maybe he should slobber "Death to Ahmadinejad!" and pump his fist up and down."
      and verbal support of those who are fighting for freedom.

11. tksensei profile image60

Good post

12. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I am so pleased that Merkel is Chancellor of Germany, she is diplomatic but gets things said without being deliberately obtuse as Obama and others have been.Angela Merkel has shown uncommon sense in much that she has said.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)