Qur'an-burning Florida pastor denied entry to Canada

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (67 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Rad Manposted 11 years ago

Florida pastor Terry Jones, who inflamed Muslims by once burning the Qur'an, says he has been denied permission to enter Canada to attend a Thursday evening speaking engagement in Toronto.

"I think to ban you from a country…I think there has to be more serious charges," he said. "I think you have to be a criminal or pose some type of threat to national security."

He obviously knows nothing beyond his own country. Canada has laws against hate speech. If my memory serves correctly Canada stop Ann Coulter from speaking as well.

What do you think?

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 11 years agoin reply to this

canuck here...i don't have a problem with Canada not allowing someone into my country who promotes hate....the canadian border agency did not confirm his statement..and they don't have to....it's not like the guy is important as far as i'm concerned; just another nutbar that we don't need...however, the border agency does enforce legislation relevant to human rights violations.

1. profile image0
        Rad Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They can keep him and Ann out.

2. Paul Wingert profile image60
      Paul Wingertposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They should keep those two idiots out of the US as well!

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank goodness, we don't need people like him stirring up his hate.

4. nightwork4 profile image60
      nightwork4posted 11 years agoin reply to this

i have no problem with him or ann coming here. speech is only words and if some people like what these people have to say, so be it. i , personally hate the thought of the muslim religion growing in Canada but i don't try to stop people from trying to make it look like a "nice, loving" religion. if we open our eyes , we will know what is true and what isn't.i don't need the goverment deciding what i hear.

1. profile image0

My mama always said. If you don't got nothing nice to say don't say nothing at all.

2. PhoenixV profile image64
        PhoenixVposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Searching for the truth is impossible without free speech- a quote from someone

1. profile image0

And what truth do you think your going to get from this guy?

5. Repairguy47 profile image59
      Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think Canada doesn't want anyone to have a thought that they can't control.

1. profile image0

Thoughts are okay. You see thoughts are inside your head. Gathering to spread hatred against another group is something different.

1. Repairguy47 profile image59

Oh goody, in Canada its ok to have thoughts as long as you keep them to yourself. oppressive much?

1. PhoenixV profile image64

I find the claim to actually having thoughts in their head to be dubious, considering.

Considering what? That you don't agree with his way of thinking? I'll stay in the U.S. where freedom is a good thing.

You are misunderstanding what I am saying, I believe. Some on this thread are advocating censorship/abridging  free speech/expression and said they are allowed to keep their thoughts in their head and I said I doubted that they did in fact have any rational thoughts in their head - because they are advocating censorship which is pure ignorance in my opinion.

But here is a good example of how important free speech is- you didn't understand what I was saying and I clarified it.

1. profile image0

A little government regulation can sometimes be a good thing. For example the Canadian banks did not suffer at all throughout the credit crunch. The government protected us against the greed that resulted in bailouts. As a result many Canadians purchased American homes and Condo's at rock bottom prices. I personally know three people who bought a bunch of American property for next to nothing. And I thank the Canadian government from keeping this nut out.

So you are proud that you were able to purchase rock bottom American homes that more than likely were American families that lost their homes?  And then talk about the greed of others?

I am starting to agree with your government that it needs to be your thought police.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79

Would you like a list of all the people who have been banned from entering the US? Got a few hours?

We have our own hate-mongers here already, we don't need one from the US .

Give me a list.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
            psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I see it as no different to blocking anyone who will not be a positive contribution to the country.  Enetering another country is a privilege based on being a useful or at least harmless visitor. Not a right. And you will find that Imams with similar aggressive points of view have been blocked too.

Sounds like you agree with Terry Jones.

2. profile image0

Great point. Boarder guards are constantly taking guns away from Americans crossing the boarder. There are signs everywhere are one is about to cross that no guns are allowed. When the guard asks "do you have any guns" they reply "no" and then the guards finds the guns and asks why they lied. The typical answer is "but I need it for hunting" or "if you take that gun where can I buy a new one". What they fail to understand is that it is a criminal offence and they can be charged. It's a privilege to enter another country, not a right.

6. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps, Canada has already exceeded it's quota of nutbars.

That's actually funny, Canada has laws against hate speech, and they still support religions. Quite the hypocrisy.

1. profile image0

As long as the religions aren't bashing each other they are tolerated.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58

And, they are all free to come to my door and spew their hate speech right in my face.

7. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think he is being denied his civil rights.   Just like he has been maligned in his own Country because of his exercising his freedom.   Even by members of our Government.   The man is not a criminal for burning a Koran, nor for any of his public actions to date.   But indeed America has allowed radical speech, direct "hate speech", to be presented on our streets and on our television sets from people who want Israel "wiped off the map" and people who hate Christianity, etc. 
      If Canada won't let him in, then they shouldn't let several people in, namely people who've spouted hatred like she hopes Rush Limbaugh gets kidney failure etc., and anyone who's vocal about hating Israel, and anyone who's vocal about hating Christianity,  AND anyone who's vocal about killing unborn babies, etc.    The list can go on  and on.   It can even include President Obama, since he has made several statements that incite racial tension, religious tension, etc.     So go ahead, Canada, and ban Barack Obama from there too!  Amen.  I don't have a problem if they choose to make things fair all around.   (But hey I WAS kinda hoping they'd take him off our hands, maybe give him a place outta the way somewhere where he can't instigate carp again like he did by blaming a youtube video on the deaths of our American Ambassador and others! )  Somebody needs to take the reins of power from him before he totally ruins this Nation.   But instead they wanna focus on accusing U.S. citizens of "hate speech".   It would be hilarious if it wasn't so wicked.

1. profile image0

You think that Terry Jones was denied his civil rights because he wasn't allowed to enter another country? So you think an American has the right civil right to go into any other country? That's really funny.

Correct, Canada does prevent hate speech from all kinds of people. Normally they are not denied entry but in this case Terry Jones was not allowed because of previous peace bond infraction in the U.S. as well as an incident relating to a disputed honorary doctorate in Germany to keep him out.

But thanks the laugh. Denied civil rights because he can't enter Canada. lollollol

1. profile image0

Hmm.  So you deliberately left out those "little" facts and made your post sound like Canada was denying him entry because he burned Korans and spoke against a specific religion?

It is you, then, who has simply made a thread to try to bait people.   Your original post doesn't match the actual facts.    For shame.  If you wanted to know how many people think a man should be banned from entering a Country on the grounds of "hate speech", then you could've simply asked that question.   Trust me, you would've still gotten the same responses, and you could've saved face for yourself.
          Get it together, please, Rad Man, before you author a thread that is apparently meant only to elicit a vehicle for your own sarcasm.

1. profile image0

It's rather obvious that he was denied because of his planned hate speech, they even questioned him on it. The found a few excuses to deny him. Canadian's were afraid he would stay.

Civil rights, that still makes me laugh.

1. profile image0

So, now you're saying he WAS denied because of so-called "hate speech".   Make up your mind, wouldja?  roll

1. profile image0

He was denied because he's had some legal issues, but most likely they didn't want him in. I think I was consistent you just didn't read all the posts.
                Now can you explain this civil rights issue to me. Did you say every American has the civil right to enter any country they like?

1. profile image0

What I said in effect was that any person who is denied the rights to enter a Country because of being accused of "hate speech" for speaking against an anti-Christian religion and/or for burning a book that belongs to them personally,   is being falsely accused and being denied basic civil rights, yes, that should be common in all Countries.   Of course, some Countries don't have basic civil rights, I suppose.   But indeed I would've thought that Canada would have.   Very disappointing IF that's the reason he was denied entry.    However, if there was some other legitimate reason for his barring, then okay.    You made it sound like he was denied entry because he exercised his freedom of speech in America.    That is not right, if that's why he was denied.
                  How can I be more clear than that?
                  And....why should I even be, since you're so unclear in your posts?    roll

And now I'll ask you a question-------
                  If you agree that Canada can deny anyone the right to enter simply because they "don't want them"......do you also believe that America should be able to refuse entry into our Country if we simply don't "want them" here?     I'm almost willing to bet you'll say that would be discrimination.

1. profile image0

Of course America does employ the same tactic. Every time I enter the states I'm questioned as to what I'm doing in the states and how long I'll be and what I have with me. It's common sense that if I'll be up to no good, America has the right to deny access to me. I as a Canadian do not have a civil right to enter another Country. That's a ridiculous notion. The civil rights granted to Canadians is very similar to civil rights granted to Americans, but I can't ask the U.S. to grant me American civil rights. I can't claim it's my civil right to have guns in Canada. Don't you see how ridiculous your claim is?

Islam is not an anti-Christian religion. It's just another religion. Do you think Christianity is an anti-Islam religion? They are simply two religions.

2. A Troubled Man profile image58

You mean denying his right to deny others their civil rights?

You mean his freedom to tell others what to believe, or else?

What if he burned a bible, instead?

1. profile image0

He can burn as man Bibles as he wants as long as they belong to him.   Heck, I don't care how many men burn their books as long as they belong to them and not to someone else!    I bet there are a lot of Hustlers and Playboys and witchcraft books that could use a match set to them! ha.   But indeed that would be the personal choice of those individuals.

Now, what I DO take exception to is incidents like when our American soldiers were commanded by their leaders to burn Bibles.  That wasn't right at all.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79

I guess you missed why he was banned when I posted it earlier

"It was confirmed Thursday afternoon that the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) barred Jones from entering Canada. One of the reasons was Jones was fined in Germany for using his doctorate in theology to identify himself as “Dr.” Pastor Terry Jones. The other reason was he broke a peace bond in Dearborn, Michigan in 2010."

The protest went on without him.

2. oceansnsunsets profile image85
    oceansnsunsetsposted 11 years ago

That is pure evil.  What a sick and sad world we live in.  I am sure, they don't prevent many muslims from coming in, that have done much worse, or do they deny the guy that put a Jesus on a crucifix in urine, from coming in?

Be careful people, that you don't unknowingly support true evil, at its core.  Free speech IS a human right.  Who determines what is hateful, and what is not?  Does no one care anymore, that they refute their own points, when they are inconsistent, and illogical, or turning a blind eye to even "bigger" and truer hate that takes lives?  This kind of thing is incredibly alarming to me.

Ann Coulter and people like her, may not be liked, but is she wrong?  Or is SHE so hated, and "dangerous" because she IS so often right? 

My number one concern for America and the world currently, is that people are struggling with the reality of situations.  They don't seem to care about truth, and reality.  In the mean time, we continue to lose freedoms, and in like this example, in an effort to stop hate, we are embracing actual hate even more.  Think about that, oh...the irony.

1. profile image0

Muslim hate speech has been prevented in Canada as well, so has the KKK. Yes, Ann Coulter is wrong. Losing freedom? Really? What about the freedom to not be bullied? Yes we can prevent an American coming in and spreading hatred, that is our freedom. Canada has the right to say who enters Canada, just as America does when Canadians enter America. America decides who enters just as Canada decides who enters Canada.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79

Ann Coulter had one speech cancelled by a university. She was allowed in the country. I believe Terry Jones has been charged with a crime has he not?

I had to laugh when environmentalist David Suzuki was refused entry into the US to speak a few years ago.

3. PhoenixV profile image64

Yes they cowardly hide behind terms like "hate speech" when in fact they hate free speech.

1. profile image0

You're free to speak as long as you are not spreading hatred against a particular person or group. CBSA cited a previous peace bond infraction in the U.S. as well as an incident relating to a disputed honorary doctorate in Germany to keep him out. If Canada had let this nut in he would have proceeded directly to event to speak to the "Canadians united against terror" event at the lawn of the Ontario legislature. He wasn't stopped because of his speech, but because of he peace bond infraction in the U.S.

What if any good would have come from his speech?

I have a good idea at one end of the field well have this guy spouting of about muslims being terrorists and at the other end well have muslims spouting off about the burning the Quran.

Or you could just not listen to them. Because what you are advocating is much more evil than anything they can say.

4. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Um, what has blocking someone because of their faith got to do with blocking this guy because of his *behavior*.  Completely false parallel.  Christians can come and go as they like, idiots can't.

3. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 11 years ago

In short, any nation has the right to deny access to whomever they choose, whether it's Canada or the U.S.  Strangely enough, though, Canada and the U.S. are the only ones who ever have to defend themselves when they choose not to allow someone into the country because the person is a hate monger or has a fairly serious criminal past or is trying to sell out national security secrets.  Why is that?

I have no problem with this man being denied entry into Canada.  I also have no problem with anyone who entered my country illegally (for reasons other than political asylum) being asked to leave.

North America is home to millions.  We ALL have a right to decide who may and may not enter our homes, regardless of the reasons.

smile

1. Tosch profile image60
      Toschposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your home?? When did it become your home? You robbed North America from the Natives! Value truth. You can't judge who should stay or enter, other than using force. The land doesn't really belong to you. In the real sense, you are immigrants there.

1. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. Tosch profile image60

What happened? Why did you delete that beautiful post? LOL!

2. Repairguy47 profile image59

It became my home right after we robbed it...any other questions?

1. Tosch profile image60

Interesting perspective... Just pray that we remain the last gang of robbers over here.

There is always somebody bigger and stronger, maybe Britain will give it another shot? lollol

1. Tosch profile image60

Those Brits have become all-feminine in their character. Look for the Chinese and Indians. If they shake hands with Russia, then good luck for the Godfathers!

Chinese and Indian is pretty good, borsch ain't too tasty

3. profile image0

I don't know anyone who robbed any land from anyone. You can't blame todays European Canadian for something that happened hundreds of years ago. As far as I can tell the land is shared.

1. Dame Scribe profile image58
          Dame Scribeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, sharing is finally becoming a reality with FN's and gov't, somewhat tongue least it's improved and hopefully improve more once current leadership is gone. OT, I don't see anything wrong with Canada upholding 'standards' to protect their citizens which yes, includes Muslims. US also has the same rights of refusing entry to Canadians. Hate speech is a crime and enforced when necessary. I had to laugh but was delighted to see Canadians stand up and face off with a attempted parade of KKK who literally got chased away, lol we like our US neighbors and especially those with great conduct. smile

4. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Good for Canada!
    With all this push for greater states' rights, maybe we'll see a day when he'll be stuck in Florida unable to leave because no other state in the union will grant him access either.
    Serves him right.

5. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 11 years ago

Hmm. I've heard a few Canadians say some hateful things about Americans in general. We haven't sent them home. Sounds as if Canada doesn't really understand the concept of free speech. That's OK, there appears to be a lot of that going around.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79

We understand free speech very well thank you. It's different when you are already here.

Have you started the list yet?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79

Unlike you, I have a life smile

Here is a quick one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pe … ted_States

Of course you have a life, you live it constantly on hubpages. It was your idea not mine.

2. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Different when you are there? Is free speech different for Canadians? Only Canadians get to voice opinions that come off as irritating to certain groups? That explains a lot, actually.

2. profile image0

That's right only Americans understand free speech are are allowed to deny entry into their country.

6. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

It was confirmed Thursday afternoon that the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) barred Jones from entering Canada. One of the reasons was Jones was fined in Germany for using his doctorate in theology to identify himself as “Dr.” Pastor Terry Jones. The other reason was he broke a peace bond in Dearborn, Michigan in 2010.

Read more: http://digitaljournal.com/article/334699#ixzz296LLXuqP

7. sasta10 profile image61
    sasta10posted 11 years ago

I don't know how this guy became a Pastor and those who follow him are lunatics like him.  He shouldn't be allowed in any country.  No religion is bad, religion brings peace to society we live in and all religions should be respected.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)