Links to another site limit.

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (22 posts)
  1. GreyMoon profile image61
    GreyMoonposted 11 years ago

I am trying to write a hub about a forums misconduct. Here is the problem I am having
    1. If I cut and paste in areas that demonstrate my point they are flagged as duplicate content.
    2  If I provide a link to the content instead of pasting it up I am now being told I can only have two links.

So how is one supposed to write a hub highlighting misconduct on another forum without providing examples of what I am talking about? If I do this I will just feed back from people asking me why I have not provided said examples.

Or is Hubpages just a site for posting up articles about flower arranging?  Seriously I would like to know.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

HubPages is best compared to an online magazine, offering articles of interest on a wide range of subjects.

Ask yourself, what magazine editor would be interested in publishing that article?  What are the chances of any reader being interested in your rant about someone's bad behaviour on this forum, let alone some other forum we're not involved in?

The place to complain about forum misconduct is to the moderator for that forum, not to people who have nothing to do with the situation.

1. kathleenkat profile image83
        kathleenkatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Maybe they are trying to write about forum misconduct. For that, you would need examples.

Bullying is a hot topic in the media today. I would personally be interested in reading an article about forum misconduct. It's a topic that interests me, as I have participated in online forums for over a decade now.

Keep writing, GreyMoon.

1. Sally's Trove profile image77
          Sally's Troveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you, KATHLEENKAT. Bullying is a hot topic, and I think much can be written about it here.

However, you can't use words verbatim from forums, nor can you link to one outside site more than twice. Those are the rules here.

GreyMoon, use your language skills to describe what you are seeing, so that you can give the reader your sense of what is happening. Use quotes from the forums you mention judiciously, in the spirit of fair use (look up "fair use" on the net if you're not sure what that means). Tell your readers what you think, in your own words. You have plenty of words at hand...you don't have to make your case, nor should you, by basing your hub on the exact words of others.

2. tussin profile image58
        tussinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, your response was too logical. 

Please amend your answer to include suggestions such as hiring a professional voice over actor to read the offending forum posts, then making a video of the reading to embed in the hub.

2. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

Scan the content you want and insert it as a graphic.

GreyMoonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I the graphics are tiny how can anyone see them. Is there a way to make the images I upload larger?

3. Mahmo profile image60
    Mahmoposted 11 years ago

I had similar problem like the one of GreyMoon.

4. kathleenkat profile image83
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

Take screenshots and crop what you want to show. Cite the source of the screenshots.

The HP "full sized" images are plenty big, IMO. You may need to insert multiple images to cover a long-stringed thread, however, I would reconsider that if it's going to be more images of text than your actual text content.

If I cite the source of the screenshots hubpages only allows three for one site. Therefore if everything i want to display when talking about a site comes from the site I am stonewalled into only being able to show three examples.

1. kathleenkat profile image83
        kathleenkatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Don't know what to tell you. You could try contacting Hubpages and ask for an exception. Or you could find examples from other sites (which, believe me, with your topic there are).

2. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Or you could let what happens in forums, stay in forums.

Hubs dedicated to calling people out rarely end well IMHO.

@ psycheskinner

I take it this comment is not directed at me? Please include the username when you want to direct a comment to them.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

The way I interpret psycheskinner's statement, it's a general truth which could well apply to the OP.   She did quote your post and responded to it, I'd have thought that was sufficient.

2. tussin profile image58
            tussinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7294196_f520.jpg

See how that works?

3. Marisa Wright profile image85

It's optional to cite photographs in the photo capsule.  The rule is that you must cite images - it says nothing about where.   

The ability to put the source in the photo capsule itself is a fairly new feature of HubPages.  Most of my Hubs have the citation in the text of the Hub, because that's the way it used to be done, and it is still acceptable.

All you need to do is leave the source blank in the capsule, and make a statement in the Hub saying "all images are from ....." (making the name of the site a hyperlink).

5. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

If you do not have the permission of the people who wrote the posts, you are infringing copyright by re-posting what they wrote. Copyright applies to forums, letters, emails, pretty much any written content.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Could be wrong, and I'm too lazy to look it up, but from reading this junk 2 years ago I believe the forum posts belong to HP, not the writer.

Or maybe they just have an unlimited license to publish it, I'm not real sure now.

1. psycheskinner profile image83

In either case, it does not belong to other hubbers to repost at will.

6. profile image58
    Marilyn-Kayeposted 11 years ago

I have already been bullied at HubPages and I feel you have a good article idea. PS - I fight bullies where possible, but I will avoid the places where they hang out, not worth my time.

Here is a URL to an article about copyright infringement. Scroll about half-way down for exceptions. They are obvious, without fair use exceptions no one could ever review or reference someone else's works. Without fair use, you could not have written that "fun" high school theme paper. LOL

clickandcopyright.com/copyright-resources/copyright-infringement.aspx

1. psycheskinner profile image83

Fair use is only reliably defined in court.  And I am not aware of good precedents relating to copying one or more entire forums posts for a profit-making website.

2. GreyMoon profile image61

I would not call it bullying. Although I recently wanted to write a hub about a documentary  in production. The documentaries subject was Electronic Cigarettes. My hub was a commentary on the documentary not the use of Electronic Cigarettes.  But because you can not write a hub about something without actually using those terms it does make it rather difficult. Using metaphors for Electronic cigarettes would A not drive traffic and B make it only enjoyable as a read to those people that love cryptic reading matter. Egyptologist for example. Is Egyptologist not a really word? Spell check hates it. lol.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)