What Has Obama Done?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (38 posts)
  1. tammybarnette profile image60
    tammybarnetteposted 11 years ago
      tammybarnetteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was surprised to see no comments here this morning...So many from the right ask so what has he done, I figured at least his supporters would have came by to name their favorite...Mine, the Lilly Ledbetter Act, helping women fight for equal pay smile

1. Repairguy47 profile image60
        Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why are you surprised? We don't see most of that as accomplishments. Adding 5 trillion to the deficit is something that we pay attention to. Not doing ANYTHING at all to create jobs is another. Its over for your messiah, say buhbye!

RG, I posted a factcheck about Obama as well, no slant...the good and bad, check it out...I am not biased, I have never said he is perfect, I mean he is not Jesus...So, maybe at least if you peak into some full context of the right's talking points you will see which ones hold water, and which do not...

Of course youre biased! So am I! I just happen to be honest about it.

No, make no mistake, I am an Obama supporter, and long time democrat, I am only saying I do not try to hide facts that show him in poor light, or show his streches of Romney's record, I truly try to see from both sides, research all facts, and not just carry my democrat pen with me too the polls, this is what I meant by not being biased..

2. American View profile image60
        American Viewposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Honestly, it would take too long to respond to the 50 they are using as accomplishments. I think that may be why there are no responses.
        As for Lilly Ledbetter act, even Biden admits it had nothing to do with equal pay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … _lwovbCcRQ

Hey Av, Good show tonight:) What the Act did was make it easy for a woman to fight for her equal pay, Lily soke at the DNC, she explained her battle that took like a dacade to only be told she didn't find out quick enough...glass ceiling anyone? So, now the time constraint has been removed, Biden's point was how could they not sign something so simple and lets face it ...right:)

1. American View profile image60

I totally understand the reason for why they pushed for the removal of the time limit. I guess in theory it sounds good. But seriously, I have always heard woman complain about being underpaid. They would say "it is so unfair I am doing everything Bob does and more and he is making so much more money than me". Believe it or not, men do the same thing.

Woman are very smart, they know long before the 2 year period they are underpaid. Problem is most do not speak up about it., same with the men who complain about others making more than them for doing the same job. I cannot answer why it happens, but it is wrong on all levels.

There are legitimate reasons too why people in the same job do not make the same money, the biggest is longevity. A person on the job for ten years will make more than the person who has only been there a year or two. The Lilly law has now created a problem in this area. Now a person who starts today is expecting the same salary as the season vet on the job. I do not think that is right.

I read in a law article and I wish I saved it because I cannot find it now, that since the law has come out, filings have gone through the roof. The article also cited that 98% of theses cases either do not make it to a hearing or are ruled against the person bringing the claim. I know that was one of the reasons against the bill. The other was a fear if that happened there would be a reluctance for an employer to hire a woman over a man for fear of dealing with such a litigation in the future. I truly hope that does not happen.

AV, i will have to look uo the court senario, however in the case of Lily and many women, should would train men that would end up being her boss....I don't know if you ever watched the "Rosanne," show back in the 80's before she  botched the national anthem and sang like Larry the Cable Guy, but her show dealt with many issues of struggling families, as well as just any family...but there was an episode where she was working a night job at a burger joint and her boss was this little high school punk that did not understand the concerns of a mother, she had asked off for weekens so she could be with her family, and the protocol was to have the shift covered by another employee, which she did...he still said no because the other girl needed the extra hours and money but it would have been overtime for her...as it turned out he had a shop class and needed help and Rosy's husband knew cars, so she had him over for dinner in hopes that meeting her family would help him understand her situation, and her husband helped him with his project, at the end of the evening however, he still said no...It is the case for many women trying to become partners in law firms and accounting firms that males straight from college inevidablly become the partners...women are supppose to take care of the children so they can not work the 80 hrs a week, right...so women must choose between motherhood and career very often and this is just wrong! The law Obama signed was at least a step in the right direction, women still make 75 cents to every $1 a man makes in the same job for the same time frame, and many times the woman actually has seniority...Now, Romney wants to start messing around in our productive rights...This has always confused me about R's, they want government out of our "business" but try to dictate our social and personal lives...

Tammy,

I understand the scenario you played out from the Roseann show and actually, I never watched any of her shows. You are right, years ago that was exactly what was going on. But today, there are many businesses owned by woman, woman on the executive board running companies, in positions of being the boss on many levels. Did you know the top woman earner makes 56 million dollars per year? I am not begrudging her, I would expect she earns every dollar and good for her. That is American Dream in action. In fact the scenario you played out has created a flip side, that is their is a quick growing trend that the man stays home now and takes care or the kids. I wonder if they vacuum? LOL smile

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/3 … 64554.html

AV, Yes I am proud of how women have stepped up and met the challenges of today, and many men are staying home and raising children today(I hope they are vaccuuming,lol), but in far more cases a woman will not even be considered for employment if she plans on marriage and family, so not as much politically speaking, but as a society this has created some strange problems...first many day care situations are run in the survival of the fittest mentallity, I have worked for one, not enough adults to care for 70 to 100 kids, so the bullies run the show...bullying has become almost a respected tradition these days, the more ruthless the business person the more wealth..I heard a story on my local news this past summer that confirmed ruder people make more money...What happened to the meek shall inherit the earth? Well, at least that will never change smile Second, a new study suggest less young people with children are concerned with the sanctity of marriage, I am not the judgemental type at all, but one has to wonder how this will play out in society Third, People at the bottom income levels of society, which depicts the sitcom situation, is still alive and well today...Working different shifts just to have someone home with the kids, or leaving the kids to themselves, probably a likely promotion to the rise of teen pregnancies...This is a delicate social matter to be sure smile

You know, it is funny how you said about being rude becasue that is so true. When I had my construction company and when I was VP of another construction company. I was always me to my employees, yet when dealing with banks, suppliers, If I was me I got no where, but if I was a rude Pr**k, they bowed down and kissed mt toes. How wrong is that?

2. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think that the President until most recently has been far to modest about his accomplishments, thanks goodness we have Bill Clinton and Joe Biden to directly explain to the voting public what those accomplishment were and how they benifit, iinstead of letting the 'Dark Side" frame the argument.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

I just had a response and it got wiped out when I had to sign in again!  I'll try again.

I have seen similar articles about what Obama has accomplished, but I didn't know about some of the accomplishments listed on your link.  But those who don't like him won't even bother to open the link and read it because they discredit anything that he has done, even if it benefits them.

I cannot comprehend voting for a party that wants to take the country backwards.  Instead of continuing to move forward, they want to turn around and allow the right wing of the government to take control.  Romney has managed to lie his way through the primaries and continues through this presidential campaign and people believe he is going to wave his magic jobs wand and improve the economy.  He has already stated that government doesn't create jobs.  Which isn't true.  Perhaps he needs to read some Presidential history.   I believe many vote for him only because he isn't Obama, which is an ignorant vote in my opinion.  But all I see is a corporate sleazy corrupt businessman who flashes a smile and a snarl at the same time.  Hopefully Obama will continue and the Republican party can take some time to decide what platform they want to adopt.  They have lost their way.

Here's an endorsement from the Tampa Bay Times which points out Obama's accomplishments in contrast to Romney's ever changing platform.  http://www.tampabay.com/opinion/editori … 257328.ece

I opened the link and wasn't impressed. If something he accomplished helps me personally doesn't make it a good thing for America. Some of us still ask what we can do for our country not what it can do for us!

RG, Obama is the only candidate who cares about the entire country...Romney is only a talking head puppet, his strings are pulled by the extreme right GOP, this is why he flip flops, he says what he really means, then the GOP comes out to correct him...I do not think he is an evil man, I think the men pulling the strings are though, and many stories and forums I am putting out paint a scary picture of our future..

2. Cody Hodge5 profile image68
        Cody Hodge5posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not a shock.

I mean, Obama got Bin Laden, and all the GOP can say is that any president would do it....

If we had 4 percent unemployment the GOP would credit the businesses for hiring in spite of him...

We could start their war with Iran and the GOP would complain that the military is being burdened by him...

Gas prices could be a $1 a gallon and they would say it was because the GOP pressured him into adopting their policies....

Cody, makes me want to pull my hair out, everytime I post something that I know is good, I put one up last week, I think one person talked with me for awhile, it list links to graphs from the BLS proving our economy is on the rise, proving coal is doing better than ever before, proving job creation, slowly but regressing unemploment rates...but they have a backward answer for eveything...if it goes wrong, it is Obama's fault...if it goes good, he is not given any credit...I do not understand the blindness, and I never will...

2. readytoescape profile image61
          readytoescapeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good point, Obama's entire Presidency, and just like his campaign is all wishful thinking. If......

The right propaganda machine seems to be doing a good job I see, facts in front of your face and you still repeat commercials and talking points...

3. Repairguy47 profile image60

But none of that is the case is it? On bin laden, Navy Seals took out bin laden. Your messiah was safe in his own little cave!

RG, Who was the last R President to ever fight in a war? Has Romney? Has his 4 sons? Has any POTUS ever stood on the front line in modern history? And nobody ever says he is Jesus, why do you keep calling him our "messiah," does that mean you "worship," Romney ,just because he is your choice?

1. profile image60
              logic,commonsenseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The first George Bush served on the front lines in WWII.  He was shot down and nearly lost at sea.
              All POTUS should be required to have some kind of military service, just so they know what it's like to have your life on the line for your country and its citizens.  Especially since they are the commander in chief of the armed forces.
              It is quite ironic that we currently have a POTUS that has nothing but disdain for the military.  However that will soon be rectified in January.

1. Josak profile image60
                Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You mean a president that has devoted more legislation and spending increases to veterans than any other president in modern history? Yeah total disdain...

1. donotfear profile image84
                  donotfearposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Question:  "What has Obama done?"

Answer:    ......ummmmm........ok.

Well, what....?  Ummmm..........................................................uh......................................and uh................................................yeah.

So he.......um.....let's see.............................well......

and then.......um.........[clear throat].

And more!

Funny smile Read the article, you will have an idea that the media will not tell you about

3. wavegirl22 profile image48
        wavegirl22posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Interesting you ask what we can do for our country and not what it can do for us as tonight we can see a Presidential Candiate go to Walmut and buy up $5000 worth of Pampers and canned goods for a photo opt claiming it to be for the disaster areas that Hurricane Sandy left or we follow the leadership we saw from the President today and take his advice to send support to the Red Cross which will actually get the aid to the victims.
        I cant help wondering tonight, where all those Pampers and canned goods are going to end up.

2. tammybarnette profile image60

RebekahELLE, Thank you for sharing, I agree completly about the people dismissing All the good he has done, It is shocking to me, so many ask but do not really want the answer. I have a bad feeling in my gut about this election...I think Obama could possibly be the last decent man to ever sit in the Oval office...If the extreme right seizes power I believe it will be the end of the world as we know it...

3. readytoescape profile image61
    readytoescapeposted 11 years ago

Calling this a list of accomplishments is just a tad bias; it reads more as a wish list for Liberal Progressive Agenda. One could find argument with every item on the list. I just chose a few from each page.

1. Passed Health Care Reform: Isn't this most unpopular and expensive legislation ever passed and is it not now considered constitutional because it is taxation?

6. Eliminated Osama bin laden: Didn’t the Military do this? Did Valerie Jarrat advise agaisnt this Missing the first two Opportunities? Then failed to protect an American Ambassador.

25. Protected Two Liberal Seats on the U.S. Supreme Court:  Isn't The Court intended to be Non-partisan.

27. Achieved New START Treaty: “Wait until after the election and I’ll have more freedom.” Freedom for what?

46. Recognized the Dangers of Carbon Dioxide: A Pollutant, Controversial at best? Power Grab for the EPA. Will Outlawing photosynthesis will be next?

1) Not unpopular to those who are thankful to have insurance, to the end of pre-existing conditions, the end of insurances ability to cap, has been a campaign promise he has kept despite the oppisition, and will help all Americans not just the top wealthiest Americans, and the CBO says will actually decrease the deficit

6) I believed it said helped...If not it should I agree, but any POTUS would not be on the front line(sigh) And this was HIS orders, HIS call...he did not just lay a bomb down that would have killed women and children...

25) Protecting balance, is non-partisanship

27) The landmark Nuclear Arms Treaty...

46) Making water and food safety a priority is a bad thing how?

4. A Troubled Man profile image58
    A Troubled Manposted 11 years ago

What's really hilarious about the right is that many of them will sit there complaining about Obama, but when it comes time to vote, they'll either sit home gnashing their teeth or will vote for him anyways.

lol

5. sabrebIade profile image80
    sabrebIadeposted 11 years ago

1. Signed the NDAA (that he said he didnt wanna sign)...then fought the appeal tooth and nail.
    "President Obama's action today is a blight on his legacy because he will forever be known as the president who signed indefinite detention without charge or trial into law," Anthony D. Romero, ACLU executive director

2.  Has unleashed an interagency cannabis crackdown that goes beyond anything seen under the Bush administration, with more than 100 raids, primarily on California pot dispensaries, many of them operating in full compliance with state laws.
    After he said he would not do that during his campaign.
    AND this is coming from a fairly well documented pot-head in college.

3. The ACLU released a report that shows that under Obama and his Attorney General Eric Holder, warrantless wiretapping and monitoring of American's electronic communications has quadrupled.
    Another point Obama was against.
    During his campaign at least.

4. Signed the Patriot Act extension into law.
    Another thing he swore he wouldnt do.

5. Deported a modern-record 1.5 million immigrants.

6. Sold $30 billion worth of F-15 fighter jets to Saudi Arabia, part of a $60 billion package which is the largest arms deal in history.
    In 2008 he said, "Nothing is more important than us no longer borrowing $700 billion or more from China and sending it to Saudi Arabia."

7. Initiated, and personally oversees a 'Secret Kill List'.

8. Waged war on Libya without congressional approval.

9. Started a covert, drone war in Yemen.

10. Escalated the CIA drone war in Pakistan.

There are tons more "Things he has done".

Let me say I was an Obama supporter and I in no way endorse Thurston Howell, III.
    But I'm gonna sit this election out and hope to God that next time...we will have a better choice.
    Because chosing between the lesser of two evils...is still chosing evil.

Could you point me to where you found this information, If it is you own research, please share your links with me...This is very interesting, sounds Like a Republican President...I knew about the Patriot Act, not sure I disagree with that, if it is proven unconstitutional I would be against it, but times have changed drastiaclly, modern times require modern measures, but Big Brother is another story...Thanks for sharing

1. sabrebIade profile image80
        sabrebIadeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just search Obama NDAA, Obama medical marijuana, Obama drones all this information is freely avaible on the web.

http://rt.com/usa/news/obama-lohier-ndaa-stay-414/

http://reason.com/blog/2012/10/18/dilbe … dical-mari

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/25/world/asi … index.html

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government … s-Wiretaps

These are for starters.
        Also you can cross-check and verify any info you find.
        Don't take one source as gospel.

sabreblade, Thank you, I will check these out smile

sabreblade, I did the research and have concluded what I said originally, his foriegn policy sounds like a Republican...I have noticed that Obama is dead center, he has taken everything good from both ideologies and has become a Republican President with a heart, or a Democratic President with Brass Balls....Either way, I'm still voting Obama smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)