The Media and Obama's speech about his ISIS strategy.

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (22 posts)
  1. peoplepower73 profile image90
    peoplepower73posted 8 years ago

We are constantly being bombarded by breaking news from both sides of the political spectrum. It's not just a matter of presenting the news, but it's also the talking heads that follow the breaking news events.  They are presented as experts, when in reality, they don't have any more of a clue about what is going on in any given event then you and I do. It is also just a way to fill in air time as the events unfold and the truth is finally revealed in 24 hour news cycles.

Last night's speech by President Obama was followed immediately with analysis from both sides of the Isle.  CNN and Fox news both had their pundits expounding on what was right and wrong about  Obama's speech. I kept switching between the two channels to make comparisons.  There was one common thread that both sides were asking for: it was they wanted more specifics as to how Obama's strategy of taking out ISIS is supposed to work.

i grew up during WWII when the news was presented in news papers and the evening news was presented on the radio and later on television. The news was also presented in News Reels in movie theaters.  I thought just for a moment about the planning and secrecy that went into the attacks that we made during WWII.

What if that was done today?  Would it be right for the administration to disclose specifics as to how the landing at Normandy was to take place?  Would it be right to talk about the A bomb being dropped on Hiroshima? Would it be right to talk about the landing at Iwo Jima?

We have become a country that craves information, no matter whether it is right wrong or in different. We are told what and who we should believe in by the constant drum beat of the media and its pundits.  It is implied that we need to know secrets about military and geopolitical strategies that the enemy also would like to know.  Not once do people think that we should not have that information because it could jeopardize military and geopolitical strategy.

What is missing is a United Front that should be presented to the enemy, not a divided country that continues to be exploited by the enemy.  Obama's speech actually made a plea for that very thing, but I did not hear one person on either side of the media present that notion. That political division is what ISIS exploits to our detriment. ISIS uses Fox News in their propaganda videos and they use CNN to gain information about how to exploit our culture. They also use the division among presidential candidates in their propaganda media.

A house divided cannot stand and we as civilians should not have the right to know about secret military and diplomatic strategy that affects our national security both here and abroad.

Sorry, this is so long, but it just came off the top of my head.  That's why I don't have any hair up there!

1. GA Anderson profile image87
      GA Andersonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Maybe you should trust your 'top of the head" thoughts more. Your comment is certainly one I can agree with. From the need for secrets to the concept of a united front, I think you got it right.

GA

2. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Agreed! Coming from a corporate leadership background I know there are 'secrets'. I also know spreading false rumors is part of the strategy at times. Many times I feel they are only a distraction. So, I look for what is not being discussed. There are other queues to look for. For instance the Military bases have been on 'Bravo' security status since May. It reached that level twice in 2003 and 2011 and not since.

Now, was that a distraction from this thread? I apologize if so . . .

3. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I accept the need for secrecy surrounding military operations and understand the purpose. It is just that we have to careful that secrecy does not shroud wrong doing. I have seen this happen too often.There needs to be constant oversight on everybody and everything all of the time, consequently.

You were alive and conscious during WWII? I am sure that there is a great deal of history and wisdom that you could share with us.

1. wilderness profile image93
        wildernessposted 8 years agoin reply to this

"Who will watch the watchers?"

An old question that seems germane here.  All the more so because the only real answer is "Our politicians" and we already know what trusting them does for us.

1. Credence2 profile image78
          Credence2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

hi Wilderness, that title reminds me of a Star Trek, Next Generation episode.

As for the politicians, that is our problem and we both agree on that.

Hah!  That we do, Credence, that we do.

2. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 8 years ago

I found it interesting that Obama lectured the American public on how not to  engage in Islami -phobia .    But he sure doesn't lecture the left on anti- police phobia ,  or  lecture the  Muslim communities in America about  sharia-law and it's attempts to replace  our justice system -phobia .    Or any of the other Muslim attacks on American  civilian or military personnel ....phobia.  He's a lame duck president  but more than that he's just plain  lame .

peoplepower73posted 8 years agoin reply to this

ahorseback:  What is your proof for Sharia law replacing or justice system?  It sound to me that you are the one with the phobia created by right wing propaganda.

1. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Peoplepower , Take a look at the local news sources in Houston and other cities in Texas ,    or to Dearborn  Mich.  The Muslim Brotherhood Organization  is all over America ,  and they are actually engaging  AND suing our justice system about the conflicting differences between Sharia law and US constitutional law .   Google  the Clarion Project   and read the Muslim Plan for America's future . Look at the spread of the Muslim brotherhood in America AND read their plans for our society ,our Christianity or , for our justice system , our education system ,  google how they raise their money for expanding the Mosques study how money raised  here in America by THEM  makes its way to  causes all over the world , .If some part of their  written agenda  doesn't bother you at all ; I suggest that you re-boot your patriotism to god and country .  I am as tolerant of all peoples as the next guy is , believe me , but their is an questionable agenda for OUR future by immigrant Muslims studying and participating in active Islam within our borders  .

When they learn to tolerate  and appreciate the culture of the west , I will .....theirs !

ahorseback:  I have done the research and analysis of what is going on in the mid-east and have written many hubs on this subject.  It's too bad HP won't let us link to our own hubs in these forums.  I'm going to try  to condense my hubs for you and others in this forum.

In order to understand what is going on today in the mid-east, one has to go back to before WWI.  Before WWI, there was the Ottoman Empire that had lasted for over 600 years. As a result of the war, the British and the French had wiped out the empire.  The empire included three Muslim factions: Shia, Sunni, and Kurds that still exist today.  The British and the French divided the empire into zones of influence as a result of the Sykes Picot agreement.  These zones did not take into account the religious or cultural faction of the region.  it was done intentionally to create chaos, because oil had been discovered and they wanted to manipulate the people.  Sometime later, the French and the British pulled out and they set up borders including what is now Iraq, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, and Iran without any regard for the ethnicity, religion or culture of the people living within those borders.

It is important to understand there is a difference between the Shia, Sunni, and Kurds as to who rules Islam.  The shia believe, it should be someone who is a direct descendant of Mohammad. This person is called an Imam.  The Sunni believe it should be someone with the power and wherewithal to lead Islam.  This person is called a Caliph and rules a Caliphate, the same as the Ottoman Empire.  The Kurds are mixture of both sects, including Christians. The Shia, Sunni's, and Kurds hate each other and are willing to die for their beliefs.

Iraq has a majority of Shia, and a minority of Sunni.  Saddam Hussien was a Sunni who ruled with an  iron fist.  When he was taken out, the Shia took over Iraq. George W. told the conquered Sunni military to go home, and you get to keep your weapons.  Those Sunni military became ISIS that wants to take the middle east back to the Ottoman Empire.  The leader of ISIS is called a Caliphate.

Syria is ruled by a Shia dictator who rules a majority of a Sunni population.  This is where ISIS is headquartered. The Kurds are sitting on the oil rich part of Iraq and Syria, We make nice to them, but everybody else wants their oil.

Iran is Shia and is ruled by an Imam.  We are trying to cut a nuclear deal with them, but at the same time we want to take out the president of Syria who is also a Shia.

Saudi Arabia is Sunni, the same as ISIS, but we sell them F15's that are used to bomb the Shia and Kurds in Yemen. At the same time, we support the Kurds in Iraq and Syria.

The leader of ISIS is a Sunni who was locked up at Camp Bucca in Afghanistan.  He and his fellow prisoners were plotting forming ISIS while they were in prison.  However, he was let go, because they thought he was a model prisoner.

His goal as a Calphate was to start from one end of the mid-east and control the land mass, like they did in WWI and WWII.  The Koran says, that in order to be a Caliph, you have to control contiguous land.  We have denied him that right by bombing his territories that he controls.

The conflicts of interest are:  Saudi Arabia are Sunni, but so are ISIS, but we sell military weapons to the Saudi's.  Saudis use those weapons to take out the Shia and the Kurds.

Iran is Shia.  We are trying to cut a nuclear deal with them, but want to take out the president of Syria, who is also a Shia.

During WWII, people wore uniforms.  Countries were invaded and land mass was controlled until the enemy lost his will to fight.  We are fighting guerrilla warfare, now it's called asymmetrical war. The people who live in these regions, do not recognize their borders and pay allegiance to their particular form of Islam.  That's why they are refugees. They would rather leave the country, then be ruled by dictators who don't have the same believes as they do.       

The western world makes the mistake of thinking they can democratize a 2,000 year old theocracy. If you are a Muslim, your daily life is ruled by the Koran, which is also the same as our bible and constitution at the same time.  Just like our bible, it has passages that can be interpreted for good or evil.  According to ISIS, it is following the Koran in accordance with the instructions it gives for creating a Caliph, which includes all the horrors they can place on their enemies.

Most of the the refugees that come here will practice the Koran and just like the Bible, they will find justification for good and bad.  We are fooling ourselves if we think we can democratize them.

Obama has many conflicts in the mid-east, including Russia and Turkey.  He has to tread lightly, and carry a big stick.  ISIS wants us to send ground troops so that they can get us into another long term slog.  Obama's objective is to deny them contiguous land, without it, the Caliphate cannot exist.  That's why he is not sending ground troops. How do you fight people that don't wear uniforms and some are your allies and others are your enemies?  It's too bad they don't wear uniforms that identify their allegiance to their particular sect.  This is were the media and politicians are making a big mistake by lumping them into one big Muslim family that has all the same values and beliefs. When they talk about rebels and militia, they are doing a big disservice to the American people because the differences have lost their identity.  They are not the same and do not have the same goals.

Our politicians and presidential candidates take a very simplistic few of the mid-east, but it is really a soup sandwich.  They want to bomb everybody, but don't have a clue as to the dynamics of the region.  Right now, there is a three way civil war going on among the Shia, Sunni, and the Kurds.  And to make matters worse Turkey, and Russia have entered the fray.   We base our aircraft in Turkey to fight ISIS. Turkey is supposed to be taking out ISIS, but instead, they are attacking their long time enemy, the Kurds.  Russia is supporting the Shia president of Syria and protects him against the Sunni led ISIS.  All of this would have never happened if George W. had not taken out Saddam Husien and created the vacuum that exists today.  It caused an unleashing of the long term hatred of all of the factions.

Now put yourself in the place of this president, what would you do?  Put yourself in the place of the refugees. Would you go to their country and be willing to covert to Islam?  I don't think so...no more than they want to convert to Christianity.  By the way, the Koran does recognize Jesus.

I hope, this has been of some value to the understanding of the mid-east.  It is not a simple situation as the politicians and media would like you to believe.

What happened?  Did I scare everybody off, overwhelm them, or just simply bore them to tears?  I haven't seen any replies in over 21 hours.  That's not like you avid political activists. Or maybe everybody is too busy doing Christmas shopping.

3. wilderness profile image93
    wildernessposted 8 years ago

I found it interesting that Obama feels the only way to win the war with terrorists (over there) is to equip and teach the residents to do it themselves.  Something I've said for years; the terrorist threat will not be ended until the people of the area end it themselves.  Obama is also correct in that the government cannot effectively patrol the entire nation, looking for individuals about to go on a killing spree.  It is one thing to find a plot to fly planes into towers; it is quite another to find a single person getting ready to go out shooting.  Only the American people as a whole can do that job; there aren't enough police, national guard, etc. to patrol the entire nation even if we wanted to.

So Obama will equip and train the Syrians, etc. to do the job in their neck of the woods...while disarming the people of the US so they can't do the same.  We'll all wait for the police to show up, just as we did in California, and hope they don't kill too many of us while we wait.

Wilderness:  Thanks for your comments.  I cannot argue with you about the what happened in California because there is no way to prove otherwise.  I don't know if the people at that party were armed, they would have been able to take out the attackers.  It is pure conjecture at this point. 

Obama has proposed a ban on any further sales of AR15's.   But fat chance it will get through the right wing controlled congress.  So don't worry, no one is coming for your guns, as long as the NRA controls congress.

Let's hope not - although it is black and scary looking, an AR15 is really no different than most hunting rifles.  Although I can't say I understand why some would rather own such a gun instead of a fine, accurate rifle (are they cheaper?), they do and it isn't up to me to say they can't have one because it has black paint on it.

The comedy in Ca. was when the governor complained afterwards that surrounding states should tighten their gun laws because they are an open highway to bringing guns into California.  Like the ones used in that mass murder that were purchased quite legally in California!

None of which has much to do with fighting terrorism, though.  Is it your opinion that Americans should depend solely on our handful of cops to fight it when it is brought to the streets instead of the massive plots that might be caught by military intelligence we saw in the past?

4. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 8 years ago

I haven't listened to his speech but I have read several articles about it and listened to a few telling videos. Simply put, I can't stand listening to his deceptions.  But, I'll admit that I was disappointed this morning with Obama ... only because I still had a little bit of a hopeful heart that he would begin to lead America in a right direction.  He isn't!   (shame on me for holding out hope)

He wants us to believe he takes terrorist threats seriously...  Really?

“For seven years, I’ve confronted this evolving threat each morning in my intelligence briefing.” ... when in actuality Obama has attended approximately 56% of his Presidential Daily Briefings. 

That tells me a lot about the man.  (Sorry, if I just offended any real men in the forum.)

colorfulone:  Where did you get this information?  "when in actuality Obama has attended approximately 56% of his Presidential Daily Briefings." 

The situation in the mid-east is very complex and it can't be resolved by just bombing them.  I wrote this article about ISIS.  Please take the time to read it.

http://hubpages.com/politics/What-is-th … S-and-ISIL

1. colorfulone profile image78
        colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

"Obama’s MASSIVE Lie In Prime Time Speech To America Just Exposed"
        "56% of his Presidential Daily Briefings" its all over the internet about his big lie. 
        One site: http://washingtonweeklynews.com/obamas- … t-exposed/

If truth be told about ISIS:  A Message to President Obama from a former Muslim
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxzOVSMUrGM

Just a friendly reminder about dropping Hub links in the forum, we are not suppose to do that with our own. Its okey to do that for another HubPages member though. 

Have a nice day!  smile

colorfulone:  Brightbart has no credibility with me.  He is the one who set-up the staged fake interview sting with the NAACP people.  As far as comparing Obama to Bush, a lot of good it did him to attend every briefing, Look at what it did for us in Iraq.  Thanks for the heads up about using your own links.  I knew about it, but it was just too much to explain in a forum.  You have a nice day as well.

1. colorfulone profile image78
            colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

In case you have any doubt........
            When you read this you will understand why Obama refuses to say the words "radical Islam." Did you know that We Now Have a Muslim Government? ... John Brennan, current head of the CIA converted to Islam while stationed in Saudi Arabia. Obama's top advisor, Valerie Jarrett,~~is a Muslim who was born in Iran where her parents still live. Hillary Clinton's top advisor, Huma Abedin,~~is a Muslim, whose mother and brother are involved in the now outlawed Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt. Assistant Secretary for Policy Development for Homeland Security, Arif Aikhan,~~is a Muslim. Homeland Security Advisor, Mohammed Elibiary,~~ is a Muslim. Obama advisor and founder of the Muslim Public Affairs Council, Salam al-Marayati,~~ is a Muslim. Obama's Sharia Czar, Imam Mohamed Magid, of the Islamic Society of North America~~ is a Muslim. Advisory Council on Faith-Based Neighbor-hood Partnerships, Eboo Patel,~~is a Muslim. And last but not least, our closet Muslim himself,~~ Barack Hussein Obama. It's questionable if Obama ever officially took the oath of office when he was sworn in. He didn't repeat the oath properly to defend our nation and our Constitution. Later the Democrats claimed he was given the oath again….in private? CIA director John Brennan took his oath on a copy of the Constitution,~~not a Bible. Congressman, Keith Ellison took his oath on a copy ~~of the Qur'an. Congresswoman Michele Bachman was vilified and almost tarred and feathered by Democrats when she voiced her concern about Muslims taking over our government. Considering all these appointments, it would explain why Obama and his minions are systematically destroying our nation, supporting radical Muslim groups worldwide, opening our southern border, and turning a blind eye to the genocide being perpetrated on Christians all over Africa and the Middle East. The more damage Obama does, the more arrogant he's become! Our nation and our government has been infiltrated by people who want to destroy us. It WILL only get worse. Plus John Kerry's son in law is an Iranian muslim. Had enough

Colorfulone: Again where did this information come from and can it be verified?  I just checked Snopes and here is what they say about your claims. 

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/mu … rnment.asp

You have to stop accepting things at face value without doing the research. You may not believe Snopes, but that is your prerogative.

5. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 8 years ago

For one ,  It is inevitable that the Europeanization  of certain elements of  terrorism is on the move to American soil  right now .    Fact .   In  America right now we are being "lead " by a President who strongly believes that  strong activism  and  divisive dialog IS a strong part of normal government  political reform  and education ,  Who will deny this , And that THAT is the very day to day  manifestation of our present politics  and culture .   That includes all government  policy
         All of the  media frenzy right now AND in the past eight years is a  derivative of his very manifesto ,for lack of a better word,    We not only  ARE but we HAVE been taking in middle eastern Muslim refugee's for years ,   No big deal right ?  That IS America after all . There are something like  over two thousand  Mosque's across America right now ,    Most Muslims ARE an assimilating and a peaceful people Right ?

Terrorism  WILL happen again  here in America ,get used to it .  It will also increase  simply on it's own power  ,    it will manifest  itself , like in Europe , increasingly far  into the future .  SO in spite of AND because of all this ,  HOW do we prepare for that inevitable ?   

A fact that no one can deny ;
    We have and continually support ,either politically , or because of politics .....AN  OPEN DOOR  POLICY in our  immigration .

We can collectively agree on NOTHING , when it comes to solutions to THAT ALONE.

Because of THIS ONE ISSUE , we  will continue to allow  all of the worlds problems to enter our doors .Including terrorism!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)