Weekly Topic Inspiration: Business and Society

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

Business and society are undoubtedly entwined, but many business leaders (not to mention members of society at large) don’t take time to consider this complex relationship. This week, I challenge you to break that pattern and provide your insights and advice. Specifically,
    1. What do businesses owe to the societies they serve?
    2. Should businesses be more involved in their local communities? What are the benefits of doing so?
    3. How have famous businesses in the past shaped modern society (or ancient society)?
    4. What are the biggest ethical challenges businesses face today?
    5. How has globalization changed over the past decade?
    6. Are labor unions still relevant and important?
    7. Should businesses be more or less regulated by governments?

Don’t have a particular Hub in mind? Here are some search-friendly titles to consider using:
    How Business, Government, and Society Interacts
    What is the Role of Business in Society?
    10 Modern Ethical Issues in Business
    What is Business Ethics?
    How to Create a Business Code of Ethics
    Does Ethical Business Play Off?
    Ethics in the Workplace: 10 Important Considerations
    Modern Marketing Ethics 101
    Ethics vs. Morals: Establishing a Benevolent Business Culture
    What is the Social Responsibility of Business?
    The Importance of Business Ethics and Social Responsibility
    What are the Social Responsibilities of Business?
    Child Labor Laws Across the World
    Child Labor Laws: Then and Now
    Labor and Employment Law 101

To create search-friendly titles of your own, follow the steps outlined in this Learning Center guide.

If you'd like to join in on this week's topic by writing a Hub, follow these steps:

1)    Stop by this week's Weekly Topic Inspiration Question.
    2)    Click the green button "answer this question".
    3)    Click the gray button below the box (leave that empty) that says "make a Hub about it."
    4)    Give your Hub a very specific title, like Easy Summer Gardening Projects for Kids or Challenging Summer Activities for Teens
    5)    Create good quality original content that hasn't been covered before.
    6)    After you publish your Weekly Topic Inspiration Hub, come back to this forum thread and post a link to your Hub with a brief description of what you wrote about and why.

For more information on the Weekly Topic Inspiration program, check out the Learning Center guide.

Oh, and do you want your WTI Hub to have a shot at becoming a Hub of the Day, make sure the images are legally used and properly attributed!

1. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, I said I would put a hub together on Thursday after chores. I threw a change-up as if it were a World Series Pitch. I came up with this hub: Let's Talk Turkey - Business, Society, and Education. Now we will wait and see a moment or so for the batter to swing or let it go by. Baseball has always been an exciting sport. And, we have a World Series followed by the Elections. What a combo . . .

2. Li Galo profile image74
      Li Galoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am writing How To Develop a Sound Work Ethic.  It should be up by Friday night.

Question:  I had never seen this forum before you sent me the email with the link.  Will there be a new Inspiration topic next week?  If yes, does the week start on Sunday or Monday?

Thanks.

1. Christine Miranda profile image69
        Christine Mirandaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Two questions, probably dumb ones big_smile  but...

1.) When do you need to publish by? I don't see that in the rules?

2.)  Is it safe to say 'the box' being referred to is the 'answer box'?

2. soconfident profile image71
    soconfidentposted 11 years ago

This topic is right up my alley can't wait to get started.

Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Fantastic! Can't wait to read the Hub you publish. big_smile

3. Teylina profile image59
    Teylinaposted 11 years ago

Ah, Simone, where will I start? Off top of my head: The Plays of the World Series are far more exciting and, most of the time, "Pays" Off in Ethics, too. Personally, I think greed has become the go-word for our ever-changing world made up of commerce, politics, religion--all comprising societies world wide. I love the World Series and fortunate enough to live in St. Louis during it's latter '60s heyday when they won the pennant 4 times and the Series 3 out of the 4 yrs I lived there. Awesome. But I digress. Your question including the changes re globalization caught my eye because many years ago I was offered an excellent position with a (at that time) new concept in the hospitality industry where the world would have become my oyster. But technology hadn't hit; women's lib hadn't hit; it was strictly a climb the ladder from where you start (I would have skipped a couple of rungs but I turned it down because a hotel was a hotel at that time and husbands weren't as understanding of women climbing in those days). Now, institutions teach running the trenches of globalization in every field imaginable. My granddaughter made me proud last year when she graduated from UCF (UnivOfCntrlFL) with a degree in international hospitality (which took me back to my "what if"--), and I've no doubt she's headed back to Europe asap forever. Back to greed--I think it the single biggest reason besides technology that businesses have gone global. Perhaps that's backward; the greed has driven the technology?? Unlike years ago, I no longer take for granted Italian/Brazilian leather shoes (since my pocketbook doesn't allow for the real thing except rarely). Good labels will say "made in _____ instead of Italy or Brazil. Greed impacts ethics, and, as far as I'm concerned, "ethics" "honesty"--the very concept of businesses being true to their societies with truthfulness has become a thing of the past, and, yes, too much government has a lot to do with it. Cohorts? Of course. Too bad, so sad.

4. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 11 years ago

Reminds me of the Shawshank Redemption quote:
    Andy Dufresne: You know what the Mexicans say about the Pacific?
    Red: No.
    Andy Dufresne: They say it has no memory. That's where I want to live the rest of my life. A warm place with no memory.

http://www.imdb.com

5. Robert Erich profile image75
    Robert Erichposted 11 years ago

The article I wrote is entitled: "Does Minimum Wage Law Hurt the US Economy and Destroy Jobs?"

http://roberterich.hubpages.com/hub/Doe … stroy-Jobs

I wrote it before reading that I needed to "click the green button". Regardless, it discusses a concept that I have been thinking about recently - is an American minimum wage beneficial in a global economy where jobs can be outsourced if considered to expensive?

An interesting thing to think about from political, business, and individual sides.

This is so well-done, Robert Erich!! I learned a lot from this Hub- and the custom graphics you have made to illustrate your arguments and explanations are so useful.

6. Teylina profile image59
    Teylinaposted 11 years ago

Gotta read your hub, Robert. "Minimum wage" is a joke and used by some enormous corporations to get around paying a proper wage for the education/training/experience/etc. way too often. Greed? No obligation to society? Somethin's wrong with the whole picture.

7. SimeyC profile image89
    SimeyCposted 11 years ago

http://simeyc.hubpages.com/hub/Ethics-in-Busines

Working in a busy accountants office, Business Ethics is a day to day process that impacts every employee and employer. It's one of the hot topics at the moment with a stuttering economy and news about poor practices in banks and other corporations surfacing every five minutes.

SimeyC, you have covered this subject better than my Human Resources textbook did! Nicely done. wink

8. HoneyBB profile image92
    HoneyBBposted 11 years ago

My new hub entitled, "Labor Unions Take A Stand Against Corporate Bullies" has been published. However, I'm still not quite sure about how to legally get photos from other sites. I spent hours last night going to sites only to end up not knowing whether I could use the pics or not. I have sent an email to a union official to see if I can use photos from their site.  So, while the article is complete, I haven't added photos yet.

I wrote this hub because the thought of how many more poor people, and how many people who would not be able to beat unjust treatment if they stood alone scares the heck outta me. If you have legal problems, you hire a lawyer to go up against another lawyer, why wouldn't you want a powerful corporation to go up against another powerful corporation?

9. bridalletter profile image77
    bridalletterposted 11 years ago

What is the Social Responsibility of Business? I will do this hub and title for this weeks challenge.

10. HoneyBB profile image92
    HoneyBBposted 11 years ago
  11. profile image0
    KDuBarry03posted 11 years ago

Here is my weekly inspired hub on Globalization, Business, and Culture: http://kdubarry03.hubpages.com/hub/Glob … nd-Culture

In this hub, I stress how important it is to understand intercultural business, the history of globalization since 1492, and if cultural relativism is reachable in business to coincide with a globally growing business world.

12. profile image0
    mts1098posted 11 years ago

The Small Business Impact on a Community and Society

I wrote about this to discuss what it means to be supported by the community and how society can impact a business

13. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 11 years ago

Here is a second entry. Although not really a content rich article the intent was a process of discovery through questioning. The message being to grow the emphasis of the schema of writing holds true with society and business:
    Who
    What
    Where
    When
    Why
    How
    How much

Once we have the questions, then one may begin the process of creating a master plan with answers. Expectations for the potential of this article have already been answered within some circles. Yet, since it is a  means of participation here is the link http://tsmog.hubpages.com/hub/EthicsBusinessIndividual available for others to peruse.

Thank You

Tim

14. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

The Hubs you have published for this past week's theme have been fabulous! Our latest Weekly Topic Inspiration theme, which just so happens to be contest-friendly, is product reviews. Stop by the new thread and join in! Also be sure to visit our official contest page to get up to speed on November's Rigorous Review contest. wink

15. DeborahNeyens profile image94
    DeborahNeyensposted 11 years ago

I'm a little late on this, but here's my look at employee misclassification issues: http://deborahneyens.hubpages.com/hub/E … ion-Issues

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)