What do you think is the role of feedback to another hub?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Louisa Rogers profile image59
    Louisa Rogersposted 11 years ago

Since joining Hubpages some 8 weeks ago, I've received mostly support & encouragement, so I've followed the model and offered the same. I have not critiqued other hubbers' writing styles. I have occasionally pointed out inaccuracies, with mixed responses-- some were very open and dialogued with me; others ignored my comment altogether. I come away with a kind of confusion about critiquing on Hubpages. I'm interested in other people's thoughts. Do you basically say-- "great!, I appreciate your comment!", or "I don't agree, here's why" .... or what? What do you say?

1. fpherj48 profile image61
      fpherj48posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Louisa....You say what you feel you want/need to, in order to interact with fellow-hubbers.  I'm sure you would not ever insult and/or be harshly critical of anyone.  A polite comment about a possible error that a writer may or may not be aware of, is acceptable.  How it is translated is not our guess nor concern,   Many writers simply do not expect nor WANT critiquing.  In those cases, they certainly won't appreciate it.  LOL
      If it is something you hope to receive, you can easily make your fellow-hubbers aware of this, but you might want to limit the type and frequency of it.   Also, quite a few writers are simply not comfortable offering advice or being critical at all.
      Being here only 8 weeks, you should not expect to know as much as some old-timers...(You're considered an old-timer after the first year has passed).....That's what I've been able to glean, anyway, in my 19 months here..........Give yourself time and experience here.  The more you write, read, comment and exchange, I promise, you'll just naturally get the hang of it... Good luck!!    Peace.

Louisa Rogersposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks! I hear you, it takes time to get the hang of things. The comment I made was regarding a couple of inaccurate facts that left as they were, were very misleading. I was not trying to be negative. I guess the author didn't like it, because they replied to everyone else except me. Oh well.

2. profile image0
    Gypsy Rose Leeposted 11 years ago

Takes time to get used to things. Mostly comment on how you actually feel about the piece you have just read. I am usually using the voted up, awesome, beautiful, interesting and so on buttons if it applies. About criticism if there really are say grammatical mistakes or misspellings no reason to politely point it out. I've had some pointed out to me and I just quietly edit my hub and say thank you for letting me know. After awhile you'll be commenting and exchanging ideas with ease.

Thanks Gypsy, I appreciate your help.

3. brimancandy profile image77
    brimancandyposted 11 years ago

Most of the comments on my hubs have to do with the readers opinion of the subject I am writing about. I do not mind if I am corrected, nor do I mind if someone says they dislike my hub. I think the only negative  comment I had on a hub, was on my monster hub, where someone said it sounded very similar to Star Trek. Which I actually found kinda funny.

The only thing I don't like is people who spam my hubs. On one of my hubs, there was some link to learning how to read stock quotes. None of my hubs have anything to do with money or the stock market, so I dropped that comment like a rock.

But, I love it when I receive comments. means I'm doing a good job. I hope.

I wouldn't like spamming, either. I too like comments-- it's very validating. Thanks.

4. Sally's Trove profile image77
    Sally's Troveposted 11 years ago

I don't generally leave a comment for a hubber unless I have something that I feel is useful to contribute to the subject at hand. I never critique a hub in the comments section when I know wrong information was presented; instead, I email the hubber privately, using the contact link accessed through the hubber's profile page. Going in the other direction, I very much appreciate it when someone points out an error I've made and does it in that more private way.

If I find that a hub is worth my while to read but I don't have anything to contribute, I will use the voting options (Up, Useful, Beautiful...) only. Interestingly, I never vote anything down (unless I'm "hub hopping"). That's because the first two or three sentences tell me whether I should spend time on the hub or not. If I decide it's not worth my time to read, then it isn't worth anything to me or the hubber to enter a Down vote.

I "delete forever" spammy, abusive, and obscene comments. If someone disagrees strongly with me, I usually just thank the person for their comment and move on. This doesn't happen too often, because I don't write controversial pieces.

As others in this thread have said, it takes time to get the hang of how you manage comments left for you and comments you post on another's hub.

I greatly appreciate anyone's thoughtful comment about what I write, because I learn so much from a different perspective. I'd like hubbers to be able to say the same about the comments I leave for them.

Welcome to HP. smile

I never vote a hub down, either. I didn't know how to write a private message til now-- good info, thank you. I have mixed feelings about critiquing something in private to protect the hubber if the comment I'm discussing is an example of prejudice.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)