What is the best way to increase comments and accolades received on a hub?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Greensleeves Hubs profile image90
    Greensleeves Hubsposted 11 years ago

What is the best way to increase comments and accolades received on a hub?

What is the single best way to increase interest in your hubs? And what is the best way to increase the most obvious evidence of interest in your hubs - namely, comments and accolades received? After nearly 2 years on HubPages, I'm still only seeing an average of about 5-10 comments per hub from fellow hubbers. Yet some hubbers, with fewer followers and fewer hubs who have only joined much more recently, seem to attract dozens. (I appreciate the number of comments is not all that significant really, but it's still the nicest feeling on HubPages when you receive one).

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 11 years ago

Some members deliberately comment extensively on others' hubs, then may receive enthusiastic responses in exchange. I don't really think there is any other way to get such internal feedback.

Greensleeves Hubsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're right. I don't much like it, as it seems disingenuous to comment on a hub just in order to try to get one back. It's the wrong reason for commenting. I'd rather comment only when I really have something genuine to contribute. But that's life.

3. TheKatsMeow profile image87
    TheKatsMeowposted 11 years ago

Maybe it depends on the type of articles... ones that spark more of a debate tend to make people more likely to leave comments... like if you write about something controversial people are more likely to chime in.

1. watergeek profile image93
      watergeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is a good tip. When you include a short paragraph about pros and cons, or a sentence that shows a conflict you've had about your topic, people are drawn in and often comment at the end.

2. snakeslane profile image81
      snakeslaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think this is very true. A hub I read recently (on a very controversial subject)  has 2,900 comments and more are added each day. This writer has had over 1.2 million visits to his pages.

3. Greensleeves Hubs profile image90

2900 comments! Wow! That's a bit too much of a good thing snakeslane. I'd be spending all my time replying to them. :-) But the point is valid. Whatever the quality of the hub, if the topic is controversial, people will always enjoy discussing it.

4. snakeslane profile image81
    snakeslaneposted 11 years ago

Hi Alun, This is a good question, not sure of the correct answer, but what I've noticed with my Hubs is there is a really big following of poetry on Hub Pages. Any poetry I write gets comments. Maybe because poetry is short and easy to keep up with? People only have so much time to read? I know you've written some amazing articles on a great variety of subjects that will be read and appreciated if you give it some time. Meanwhile if you write poetry (and read and comment on other poets work) you may see an increase in readership. The other thing is to comment right back to the people that read your work (read and comment on something they've done). You are probably already doing this. I know I plan to read more of your hubs, because they are always interesting and well written, I've just not had as much time lately to do the reading I want to do. Cheers. snakeslane

1. Diana Grant profile image90
      Diana Grantposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I always thought that poetry was unpopular, and am quite surprised by what you say.  When I write poetry, I don't expect popularity, rather a small, select audience.

2. SidKemp profile image85
      SidKempposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My wife has found the same - very positive response to poetry and hubs about writing poetry. With 50 million viewers, a "small" audience can be quiet large. A poet who gets 2 or 3 readers in her hometown can get thousands on the Internet. See KrisL.

3. Greensleeves Hubs profile image90

snakeslane; first - thanks for the lovely words. Sadly I'm not much into poetry, but it's true that some topics (not mine) definitely attract comments much more than others. My hubs are also very very long (maybe nobody ever gets to the end of them!)

5. SidKemp profile image85
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

I've found three things that seem to work:

1) comment on other people's hubs. I find that they come right back and comment on mine.

2) write Stellar Hubs. HubPages did a bunch of research on what makes a great hub, and published it here: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Elem … tellar-Hub

3) write things that help other Hubbers. I wrote a hub on how to put a table of contents in a hub, and another one about the Hub Hopper, and I got a lot of appreciative comments.

Note that lots of comments usually go with being read by lots of Hubbers; which does not correlate closely to page views and revenue. Hubbers are writers, and write comments. People who find your writing through Google are readers, and comment a great deal less.

Hope this helps!

I think I'd agree Sid. I'm sure reciprocating comments is probably the biggest single factor, but I have seen how hubber guides seem to get a lot of interest and I've also noticed how few external visitors leave comments. Thanks a lot. Alun.

6. chasemillis profile image69
    chasemillisposted 11 years ago

Honestly, write a hub that no one has ever done before (or something that Everyone (or in your niche) wants to know), and make it to where if someone accidentally came across it on Google or Reddit or something, they would say "Hmm that sounds interesting, or Woah that's Cool!"
    Just throwing it out there

7. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

I agree Greensleeves. I think we all like to be acknowledged for our work. I think it has to do with a couple things. First, commenting regularly on hubs with sincerity and not with the intention of reciprocation helps. Gaining name/pic recognition associated with good, helpful comments I think helps. Second, I think it depends on who's following you or what threads you're on and whether interest is peaked when they get that email. Lastly, if you have one of those fantastic and timeless hubs, there will always be traffic and comments when new hubbers come along. There are several that I see get non-stop traffic since I've been here for 5 weeks. Also, I would add (and hope I don't offend anyone) that I think that there are "cliques" of hubbers who have become friends, support each other, and regulary visit each other everytime a new hub is published. I actually think the camraderie is cool, not knocking it. Soooooo, it comes down to consistent involvement in the community.

janshares; Nothing boosts a fragile confidence more than good responses, so it's always nice to receive thoughtful favourable comments. Thanks for your comments here, all of which make a lot of sense. I can agree with every word. Thanks again. Alun.

2. watergeek profile image93
      watergeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've also noticed that when readers come upon a hub that already has several comments, they're less likely to leave one of their own - unless there's an ongoing controversy in the comments.

3. SidKemp profile image85
      SidKempposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've also seen the opposite of what Watergeek sees - and felt it in myself - if a hub has a dynamic dialog (exploratory, not controversial) or a lot of praise, it can be *easier* to chime in.

4. janshares profile image92
      jansharesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the pick, Greensleeves.

5. Greensleeves Hubs profile image90

My pleasure janshares. There were some comprehensive answers to this question, and also some nice, very flattering answers from hubbers I respect and follow here, but yours covered all the points I think, and I could agree with all of it.

8. alancaster149 profile image76
    alancaster149posted 11 years ago

Depends on what your Hubs are about, I suppose. Most of mine are bereft of comments, some seem to pull 'em in like fish on a line. There are some subjects I've written on that might intimidate people, make them think whatever they write is inane or trivial. I did have one (on one of my VIKING Hub-pages) who suggested that 'Slav' was something to do with slaves (bit of Nazi ideology coming through there)! I don't expect readers to be 'au fait' (or even familiar) with the subject matter, but if you don't ask, you don't learn.
    Hopefully some of your readers will see this and venture something in the way of comment. Even if it seems that I've 'slapped somebody down', it doesn't mean I think any less of a reader. It may be they're confused, so this is where I can clarify a point - or two, etc.

Hi alancaster. I guess the number of visits will be more limited on factual subjects however well written and fascinating. We just have to be philosophical - maybe one day Vikings will be in vogue and people will flock in their thousands to comment!

2. alancaster149 profile image76
      alancaster149posted 11 years agoin reply to this

They don't do badly for readers, the Viking hubs. Hundreds, in fact, between them and the other mediaeval pages. I think people maybe feel intimidated, that whatever they write could be pooh-poohed. Let's see what reaction this comment 'harvests'

9. AjeetKhurana profile image63
    AjeetKhuranaposted 11 years ago

In addition to the obvious, i.e., the hub must be comment-worthy, the only other thing I can think about is that those who have lots of comments probably write lots of comments in the first place. This creates a desire in hubbers to reciprocate. Try it out, I think it will work. smile

Thanks friend. I agree. It seems a bit cynical to comment on a hub, just to get one in return, so I wouldn't do it unless I really have something to say, but I guess it's a part of being in a writing community to reciprocate on these kind of things.

10. Suzie HQ profile image91
    Suzie HQposted 11 years ago

Hi Alun,
    You pose a good question, my friend and I am genuinely surprised at your average comments.Your hubs are such an example of what a stellar hub should be. You write on what you know and have a passion for, which translates in your work. The attention to detail is impeccable with quality writing.
    Having read all the valuable comments which all are accurate, here are my own findings in my 5 mths here.
    Having a core of loyal followers who genuinely have an interest in your work will help in your comments automatically. You build a relationship by reading their work which interests you so it is not "because you need to or because you have to".
    Streamline your followers if they never comment on your work. Many I have found just click follow, follow follow when you check their activity on the profile page.

Read what interests you and leave a comment. You write beautifully, with a real stylish engaging way that others will find genuine and honest.

You have a good varied topic selection, why not challenge yourself with an exclusive title?? I have just done 2 that I may not have picked ordinarily and I am curious to see how they are received both here and on google!

I don't know what the ultimate right way is but you are certainly one gifted writer Alun!
    ( you can post that tenner to me c/o hubpages now!!! LOL)

1. TheKatsMeow profile image87
      TheKatsMeowposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is an excellent answer to the question! I agree with everything that @SuzieHQ has said smile

2. Greensleeves Hubs profile image90

Suzie; you're too kind as always in what you say. The tenner's on its way! I agree too, with all the other points you make about commenting - I've also seen those hubbers who click to follow everybody in the hope that some will follow back. Thanks.

11. Goody5 profile image59
    Goody5posted 11 years ago

The nature of the topic has a lot to do with a hubs popularity. The seasonal time of the year, and what's hot and what's not, example - "Honey Boo Boo". Hubs that I think will be hot, aren't. Hubs which I don't feel will do well, actually do well. A lot of great followers helps too. Actually it might just be a sign of the times, and sometimes it's just the luck of the draw. No matter what keep on hubbing  smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)