Landing Pages

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)
  1. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 11 years ago

I'm thinking of creating a landing page where I can organize all my niche Microsoft Excel Hubpages. Here's the first draft:
    http://simeycook.wix.com/excel-innovations

What are the benefits and dangers of a landing page. While I will have a lot of links to my Hubpages I also intend to fill the website full of other information and resources - is this likely to be punished by Google? There are no ads on there currently but I probably will add them eventually....

Any advice will be very helpful.

(Eventually I'll probably slowly move the articles to the web page)

1. tussin profile image56
      tussinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Do they still do the capstone hub program?  Why not do that instead?

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There's more than one definition of a landing page. One definition is a single-page website created with the sole purpose of directing readers to another site.   Google hates them.  But if you're going to add more related content to the site, that won't apply to you. 

The site looks great, very professional and nicely laid out.  If you were contemplating moving all your Microsoft Excel Hubs to that site, I'd say it was a wonderful idea because it looks like an authority site and I think you could do well with it.  As a way to drive readers to your Hubs - not so much.

I'm sure you realize that as it stands, your website has far less visibility in search engines than your Hubs, so it's not going to be much help in directing extra readers to them.  And as for backlinks, Google only counts the first couple of links from any single domain, so even if you link to every single one of your Hubs, you're not getting any extra benefit. 

Of course, you can put all your promotional efforts into promoting your new site instead of promoting your Hubs directly.  But if you're going to do that, why not put your content on the site itself? 

I can fully understand your desire to have an index of all your Excel Hubs, given the shortcomings of navigation within a sub-domain here.  But it would make more sense to create one using a Capstone Hub layout on HubPages itself, as Tussin suggests.

2. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 11 years ago

Thanks Marissa - I think I will be moving all my Excel Content there eventually once I market the site a little  and get some readership. I'll look at the Capstone HUbs too - not sure if that'll give me the same sort of look though.

3. sunforged profile image69
    sunforgedposted 11 years ago

It looks great. I would seriously considering selecting a new location for developing your content though.

Wix is NOT a suggestible venue.

You might want to look into questions like:

"How do I backup or transfer my Wix site to another location"

Answer: You Cant

also - your site is only a "landing page" because you are saying so.

Otherwise, it doesnt reflect any of the standards that make up a good "landing page" and would be better titled simply a "website", IMO

Landing Pages tend to have a primary focus, specific and obvious call to action and the ability to perform action (buy, contact, subscribe, "go here" ) or are connected with PPC programs or a near end stage to a buying funnel.

Google doesnt hate landing pages - or like them - it might "hate" or rank poorly those that are designed using other non suggested practices - heavy above the fold advertising, existing purely to drive traffic elsewhere etc.  - traditionally, all of the above are still used by marketers, seo's and sem practitioners as the "landing page" is usually not held aloft by google (other than as the end point for an adwords campaign)

You will actually find that current design trends are embracing traditional "landing page" design and concepts into home pages and contact pages in high profile sites.

The newish home page for copyblogger reflects this: http://www.copyblogger.com/

thesis : http://diythemes.com/

Unbounce is a great resource for landing page concepts: http://unbounce.com/landing-page-exampl … -examples/

Getting a feel for the tactics that make a landing page work can do wonders for your overall income as a "content marketer" i.e. Online writer whose income is created via affiliate conversions and click revenue

sorry, if its overkill but both of these things are topics that I deal with everyday or recently

Got burned under-budgeting a site redesign of a wix based customer because I was unaware that the crappy software was made to completely lock its members in.

Good landing pages make good money - so am always learning and testing within my own portfolio.

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So I'd be better of using Wordpress or Blogger and using a template? I used Wix because it was so easy to create the website in minutes -  I guess I should not try and take short cuts eh!

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If you mean Wordpress.org on a hosting service - yes.  Wordpress.com doesn't allow advertising.  Or you can use Blogger.

Wix is seductive because it uses Flash which makes it look very sexy.  Unfortunately search engines don't like flash.

4. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 11 years ago

I was going to say something about Wix but I've never used them, only going on what I found with a quick Google search.   

Even if you decide to stay with Wix, you don't want a domain name that belongs to them - it means you can never move your site.  So at least buy a proper domain name.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)