Why are we here?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (38 posts)
  1. vrdm profile image78
    vrdmposted 11 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7492657_f248.jpg
    The proposition is that it is the question itself, rather than the multiplicity of possible answers, which unites us; which makes us brothers and sisters. 
    The answers split us and divide us into camps and encourage us to revile each other.  The question is our common heritage; the reminder that we are all in this together without any identifiable hope that anybody else is likely to offer us any answers.  The question is what we need each other for.

1. tammybarnette profile image61
      tammybarnetteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Unless life is only about aquiring and consuming (which I obviously do not believe) then it must be about relationships with people, ourselves, and our God. I believe we are able to touch the lives of others in ways we do not understand, and like the ripples in a stream, our deeds spread and affect in positive and/or  negative ways. Yes, the question is "what" we need one another for, as well as, "how" do we relate most effectively.

1. vrdm profile image78
        vrdmposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think you may be missing the point Tammy.  Many people would be unhappy with a characterisation of their life as having anything to do with a god.  And when you precede any statement with "I believe", you are simply setting out a subjective "answer" which, as the proposition suggests, already puts you on a path of divergence from many of your brothers and sisters.

1. WVBards profile image60
          WVBardsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Tammy is simply stating that she is not making a factual statement, but rather a statement about her own personal facts, that is, what's true to her.  To place "I believe" before any statement is to politely invite your disagreement and/or discussion on the following claim, which, if I am not mistaken, seems to be the point of your post?

Now if you truly want the answer to "Why are we here," several theologies and philosophies inspired by the truly Great in this world attempt to pose answer to your question.  I suggest you search among those higher thinkers than among us mere bloggers if you truly attempt to seek an answer - nearly every plausible inch of ground has already been covered, and you can turn in a full circle and see 360 degrees of opinions.

But let's go with the notion that you are posing this impossible question simply to unite us all in our discovery or at least our never-ending search for the answer.  Then, I must ask you the question: why belittle and pose edits to a person merely attempting to answer your impossible question (assuming, of course, that you realize that there is no one answer to this question, or at least that no answer exists which may be proven true), when you have previously stated that this reminder is our "common heritage?"

1. vrdm profile image78

I like your thinking WV.  And you may be right that I am wrong and possibly devious in posing a question for which I suspect there is no answer, but the text which follows should give the unsuspecting a heads up - as I think it did for you.  My experience of statements beginning with "I believe" seems to differ from yours.  There are always exceptions, but generally speaking I find that it is a way of trying to get your listener to listen politely but not to offer a counter view.  You can't really negotiate with a believer because they can always trump you with "well, it's what I believe".   Your last para gets closer to what I had in mind (although I'm not sure I was (or am) trying to belittle anyone).  People (like, I'm guessing, yourself) who understand what is implied in the question don't need me to point out  its never-endingness or its commonality.  It's the people who don't see those implications who I'm hoping might  have a second thought about any non-negotiable answers to which they may be attached.

1. tammybarnette profile image61
              tammybarnetteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Both of you are obviously far more intellectual than I, but by saying "I believe," I am only saying, "In my humble opinion." Yes I am a believer of God, IMHO, life would otherwise have no purpose. I am in no way trying to offend anyone nor press my views or beliefs on anyone, only offering my opinion/ philosophy...I will leave the heavy thinking for the intellectuals smile

1. vrdm profile image78

Not me Tammy.  I'm as dumb as a door post and have the attention span of a mackerel.  All I'm really saying is that I love to engage in discussions where all parties are up for shifting position in the light of new information, and that believers rarely fall into this category.  After the first chat, we often find ourselves skirting the "elephant in the room".    My own brother is a classic example.  Best wishes, DM

2. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 11 years ago

The question itself splits and divides as much as any answer as implicit in the question is the question of a supernatural God and that is as divisive as anything in our society.

1. vrdm profile image78

Not sure I'm following your logic there Wilder.  Posing a question doesn't necessarily presuppose an expectation of ever receiving an answer, let alone an answer from a god.

1. psycheskinner profile image85
        psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The expectation that we are all here for a shared, external, objective reason arises out of a Judeo-Christian mindset. You are presupposing such a reason exists.

As opposed to: 'is there a purpose to us all, or individually, existing?' To which I would say: no, I don't think so.  You have to make your own meaning.

1. WVBards profile image60
          WVBardsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are also assuming an answer.  So far, at least for all the great philosophers recorded, there is none.

1. psycheskinner profile image85
            psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

For the question I posed there is an answer.

If a person were omniscient, they would know the answer: ergo there is an answer.

What individuals like myself have is a position, re: what i think is the most likely answer in the absence of absolute proof.

1. vrdm profile image78

Apologies people.  I posted a reply to these which seems to have gone missing - and now I forget what I said....!

3. profile image0
    ChleotheWitchposted 11 years ago

This question is what made the Ancient People come up with dozens of Gods and Goddesses to explain the multitudes of what happens. Such as a Goddess of the Moon, Rain God, and the list goes on. Many of us have a variety of different beliefs on the answer to this question. This is what basically unites us together as brothers and sisters. Everyday we learn more about ourselves and about each other.

1. vrdm profile image78

It's certainly true that the question has compelled people, ancient and contemporary, to come up with answers.  I for one love hearing and discussing theoretical answers.  Where it gets less endearing is when some  people conclude their answers are absolute and non-negotiable.

4. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Humanity is just another part of nature.

Nature is nothing more than one giant killing field.

So, my conclusion is that we are either...

A. Lab rats.

Or

B. Not even that.

1. vrdm profile image78

At least you're prepared to entertain more than one answer Para, which for me is good news.  I have a "top ten" list of answers (cofeq.com) but they change all the time depending on influxes of information.

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Another one of my theories for when I die, is that I suddenly "wake up" hooked up to a video arcade game in a bowling alley as a teenager in year 2525. Won't be putting anymore quarters in that machine again... big_smile

5. WVBards profile image60
    WVBardsposted 11 years ago

That does properly explain your reaction to her post.  You were simply anticipating her next move or her "trumping" move and counter-attacked before it'd even been played!

1. vrdm profile image78

Not sure I would characterise my response as a counter-attack, but I see where you're coming from.  To me a trump signals the end of the hand, and, in terms of the analogy, the end of the discussion.  Where do you go (in terms of conversation) from an announcement of unshakable belief?

6. CertifiedHandy profile image62
    CertifiedHandyposted 11 years ago

Everybody has an "opinion". Everyone can express his or her opinion but no one can answer for everybody. To ask "why are we here" invites strife because it assumes that there is one answer to satisfy many. This question has no answer.

1. vrdm profile image78

Not sure I agree with you there Cert.  Asking the question invites the multiplicity of answers which may be of interest to all as long as they're not posed as "the one and only" answer.  I love to hear people's theories about why we might be here, but I enjoy them more freely knowing that that's what they are - theories.

7. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Another theory...

We are all souls in school.

1. vrdm profile image78

I'm liking that one Para, but what about "to achieve non-mechanically assisted flight"?

8. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 11 years ago

"Why are we here?"

Fascinating question!

So far as I have learned that  we are only here completely by accident.

If the dinosaurs hadn't been wiped out 65 million years ago, the creatures we are descended from (I will check tomorrow what BBC Earth says were the type of animal - something like a water rat) would not have exploded in numbers, and we would not exist today.

Why the dinosaurs were wiped out is still open to speculation, although there is evidence that Earth was hit by a massive meteor around that time.

So, man evolved 'by accident'.

WHY we are here is quite a question. Even when man learns how we got here, they have still to learn why, and for what purpose.

One thing we should keep in mind that our lifetimes are less than the blink of the eye in the planet's long history stretching back 4.7 billion years.

1. vrdm profile image78

I'm with you Izzy.  Many thanks.

9. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 11 years ago

In my 46 years I have come to this conclusion, which will neither shatter the earth nor set it on fire; we are here to learn, mostly from our mistakes and before the next carnation- which may be in another life form (perhaps on Mars or in some other galaxy which we may be unaware of) and has nothing to do with any form of deity, other than mother nature.

Yes, it's Boxing Day and I've been drinking. lol

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Happy Boxing Day smile

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
        Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Happy Boxing Day, Izzy. smile

1. IzzyM profile image87

It's only us UK folks have a Boxing Day. To everyone else it is just the 26th of December!

Happy 26th of December or everyone else smile

Well it's the 27th now....

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
            Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh my gosh, I've ate and drank so much that I really am a huge stuffed whale. I am drunk, mulled wine and Bacardi; it will surely see me off. I will now attempt the stairs in my new slippers and bifocals. I will surely feel no pain as I am numb, but can still type which clearly is good.

Happy 26th everyone. big_smile

1. IzzyM profile image87

Sounds like you are having a great time !

Hope you make the stairs OK smile

1. vrdm profile image78

We've decided on a 24 hour fast to try to undo the damage...  ))

10. jacobkuttyta profile image43
    jacobkuttytaposted 11 years ago

I think, instead of asking "Why are we here?" we must ask "Why are we here not for?"  It will give more positive answers like.

We are here not to kill.
    We are here not to insult others.
    We are here not to give troubles to people around us.
    We are here to love each other.
    We are here not to fight each other.

Based on such answers, we can live a good life.

1. profile image0
      riddle666posted 11 years agoin reply to this

The problem is, these very same are the things that make us human. We compete and strive for our betterment, even at the cost of others.

2. vrdm profile image78

I also like the passive "golden rule" Jacob.  "Don't do unto others what you wouldn't have them do to you." 
      But Ridd, I think the most significant turning point in the evolution of our species was when we learned to co-operate.  That's what really set us apart from our fellow planetary inhabitants.

11. profile image0
    Chelsea Heapsposted 11 years ago

To create meaning and actuate our selves. Life is a means to our own creation and fulfillment.

1. vrdm profile image78

Nice.  A good theory Chels.  If you get the chance, have a look at cofeq.com for others.  Best wishes, DM

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)