jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

Who says Science is ALWAYS the answer?

1. ii3rittles profile image82
    ii3rittlesposted 6 years ago

Who says Science is ALWAYS the answer?

Why does everything need an explanation? Why can't we as humans look at this beautiful earth we live in with out constantly asking "Why?"... Why do people believe in Science over Faith?; Science has been proved wrong before, yet faith can't be proved wrong.

2. iamageniuster profile image74
    iamageniusterposted 6 years ago

I totally agree. Sometimes, we gotta just have faith because science can't prove everything.

3. Credence2 profile image81
    Credence2posted 6 years ago

Who does say this? I certainly don't.  We have to be judicious as to which is applicable depending on the topic. I believe that there is  much more that eludes scientific explanation than can be easily explained by it. Why are we here?

4. davidkaluge profile image48
    davidkalugeposted 6 years ago

It is a matter of choice. We can choose to accept things by faith or seek for answers because faith or science do not have all the answers. If faith never failed then why did some men change their faith and again, which faith will be accepted by all men? Science explained some things faith and believe wrongly held. Yet, it is all a matter of choice. We can choose to live by our personal faith and stop looking for answers because men will not look for answers if faith has all the answers.

5. wilbury4 profile image71
    wilbury4posted 6 years ago

Isn't science based on facts created from results of experiments? Facts being the word that suggests positivity.
    "Why?" is a question that we all ask, all of the time, even from being a child... when a child is told something, the usual response is "why?", it is a question from which the answer gives us our knowledge. We can all still enjoy this beautiful earth and still continue to ask "why?". Without science where would we be? for a start, you wouldn't have posted this question on here because the Internet, computers etc would not exist, we would be primitive!

6. PAPA-BEAR profile image60
    PAPA-BEARposted 6 years ago

It is not, it claims to be, but is only copying the laws and physics that are already in place, like a student trying to understand a theory, science is way behind the inventor.

7. bethperry profile image92
    bethperryposted 6 years ago

"Science has been proved wrong before, yet faith can't be proved wrong". Very true. Perhaps that's what frightens people who hold science as their dogma?
    And no, not everything needs an explanation.

8. Thesource profile image79
    Thesourceposted 6 years ago

I apply science in my profession.
    My faith is consistent with scientific facts.
    I don't see any conflict.

Once the late Pope John Paul was said that science and religion can coexist together.

However, I find the faults in the interpretation of scientific data and messages from God. This happens too often and make it seem that science is not the answer.

I also believe that God uses scientific facts to communicate to us about the truth in the universe. This is how God revealed truths to Galileo about the universe. God also uses mathematics to communicate with us. Again I do not see  conflict at the deepest level.

9. russianandeuro profile image60
    russianandeuroposted 6 years ago

Einstein said, "Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

Science is NOT ALWAYS the answer. But it can be our reference. Since many experiments and tests are done to prove one thing based on science and math, It help us to have an accurate (but not absolute) answers to many problems including real life problems.

Well, science isn't perfect because humans are not perfect.
    Behaviors of humans are not constant, they are variables which science and math can't constantly answer. Faith is one of the ingredient in science. Faith is one's will of heart. It is faith and science that make our decisions near from perfection. science alone and faith alone is a big risk.

10. junkseller profile image84
    junksellerposted 6 years ago

What does religion do if not provide a series of explanations? Isn't that all it does? It explains how we should lead our lives, how we came to be, how the world was created, what happens when we die, etc.

The only real difference between science and religion is that the explanation provided by science is MEANT to change as we discover more about the world we live in: religion isn't - it is meant to be immutable, and completely ignores the growing awareness of the world around us.

The ability to be proven wrong is a good thing - it allows for an evolution of understanding. Religion, and its inability to change has no choice but to try and suppress the evolution of understanding. For it, the world has to remain flat. Religion provides no answer, because it never even asks the question.

You are grossly mistaken if you think that someone who sees the world scientifically can not see it as being profoundly beautiful. I don't need God for that. All I need is my heart.

11. cascoly profile image59
    cascolyposted 6 years ago

no scientist would ever claim science is always the answer, so your initial question is a strawman.

the fact that faith can't be proven wrong does NOT imply that faith is therefore true.  in logic and rhetoric, this fallacy is called the argument from ignorance

so, getting those 2 items out of the way, we're left with 'why' - it's been an evolutionarily positive trait to ask why - those who ask why get better food, shelter, mates, life in general. if no one asked why, there would likely be no religion, because religion itself is a result of that same trait of asking why. 

some 'why' questions are solved in the realm of science, others like 'why are we here' are matters for faith and religion