All-In-One computers

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Cardisa profile image89
    Cardisaposted 11 years ago

I am planning on getting a new computer. I didn't want a laptop because I have a netbook already. I need something more powerful than I have now and I have three choices at the store where I plan to shop.

1) A regular PC: 2GB memory; 500GB hard-drive; 18.5 LED monitor; DVD+/-RW; Intel Dual Core 2.60Ghz processor. Cheaper than the following two. This I don't like so much but it comes with speakers and a printer, and I know I can upgrade the memory easily.

2) All-In-One Desktop PC: 4GB memory; 1TB hard drive; 20" LED monitor; dual core E2 accelerated processor. I love this but I can't upgrade and am scared that if one thing goes wrong the whole thing will not work.

3) Laptop: Same price as the all in one; 6GB memory; 640GB hard drive; 15.6" LED monitor; DVD+/-RW; Intel Core i3 Processor.

Isn't the All-in-one and the laptop the same when it comes to upgrading? So if I get the all-in-one would it not be the same as getting a laptop and vice verse.

1. profile image0
      mts1098posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Whenever you think of getting a new computer, ask yourself these three questions:

1. What do I want to do with the computer?
      2. How long do I expect the computer to last?
      3. How much money do I want to spend?

Memory should not be the only upgrade concern - there are the three major components that must work in conjunction with each other (CPU - processor and hard disk drive).

I have found the answers to these questions quite often give you the best selection.  My vote goes for the desktop unless you are able build one smile

1. atechwiz profile image66
        atechwizposted 11 years agoin reply to this

For the desktop it would depend on how much cheaper it is and whether or not you want or need speakers and a printer.  My only problem with the desktop is that it has the worst specs of the other two and if the money doesn't justify it then you are wasting it.  You can get a cheap printer for 20 dollars.  Or used to...I have not bought one in ages.

Unless by desktop you mean the all in one.  I have never liked all in ones because if the screen goes then what...sure it could be repaired but what if you wanted to step up to a larger screen?

2. Cardisa profile image89
        Cardisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Mts 1098, thank you. I have thought about all three and am trying to make up my mind.

2. atechwiz profile image66
    atechwizposted 11 years ago

Laptop memory can be upgraded.  The laptop has the best processor of the three and also the most memory.  Plus, it is portable.  If I were in the market for a computer and had the choices you listed I would probably take the laptop.

Atechwiz, so the difference is a laptop memory canbe ugraded and the all in one can't? Wow that is food for thought.  The trouble is, I love the laptop but didn't want another. I really wanted a computer that operates like a desktop. I already have a printer and it would cost me more to upgrade the desktop then to purchase the all in one or laptop. I ruled out the desktop last night, so am trying to figure if I should give the all in one a try of just get the laptop. Thanks.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My old desktop had 1M memory, and was maxed out.  You can guess at the rest of the specs, but I will say it could not run windows 7.

I needed a new one and liked the idea of a portable (laptop) but didn't want to give up the use features of the desktop.

My solution was to buy the laptop, and then hook the 21" monitor to it, plug in the wireless keyboard and mouse as well as the speaker setup.  When at the desk (90% of the time) it's a desktop, when away it's a laptop.  I even salvaged the HDD from the desktop, bought a power supply for it and it's the backup drive for the laptop.

I did go with 8G ram, and it's maxed out, but that should be plenty until the thing dies a natural death.  For me, I got the best of both worlds.

Hey Wilderness, I don't have a desktop or independent monitor that I could hook to the laptop so that option is not available for me. I have an Acer netbook, so runs really slow now that it's overworked. Need something brand new.

1. wilderness profile image95
            wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My bad - sorry.  Somewhere along reading the posts I got the idea you still had a desktop in operation, it was just very slow.

Bad suggestion, then, unless you could come up with a used monitor locally. I know they are a dime a dozen here as people switch to laptops.

I am going into the store today with some specs hoping they have gotten new stock. Those I mentioned were from late October to November so maybe I can get a desktop with better specs. I don't want to buy a computer I have to upgrade for another couple of years.  The only thing I am willing to upgrade early is the OS.

2. atechwiz profile image66

As far as the all in one, one might be able to upgrade them but I doubt it would be as easy. I have very limited experience with all in one units though so I am probably not the best to advise on those. They have always reminded me of a tv/dvd combo unit where if the tv failed and DVD still worked you would have been better off buying them separate.

Atachwiz, that is exactly why I am holding back from buying the all in one. I remember when I worked as an administrator, we had a combo printer, copier and scanner. When one thing failed nothing worked, so we had to get separate appliances for the office. I am afraid that the same thing will happen. It's an HP computer so I will be contacting them to find out more about it.

3. Sapper profile image62
    Sapperposted 11 years ago

I would say none of the above. To add a little perspective, my current computer is a 3.2GHz quad core with 16GB of memory and pretty close to 5 TB of disc space. Not only is it about 4 years old and about to be retired, but I'm guessing I paid a lot less than either the all-in-one or laptop.

Most computer shops are so overpriced there really isn't a reason to every buy a computer from them. Sometimes they will have individual parts that are cheaper, but you would be a lot better off going to newegg.com and buying one of the pre-built computers they have. Not only will you get a much better computer, but even with shipping you'll save money.

A good recommendation Sapper.  Newegg is a great company and they have or at least had a great return policy the last time that I used it.  However, I went there and checked for a desktop matching your specs today and there was one listed, out of stock though, and the price was $1300.  I doubt that the laptop that Cardisa is looking at is that much money.  Not to mention, that is before you even buy a monitor for it.  I am assuming that Cardisa does not have one already.  It would be helpful to tell what the prices were as that would help to know if it was a fair deal or not.

1. Sapper profile image62
        Sapperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I only paid $800 for mine, it's an overclocked AMD which drives down the price by quite a bit. Either way, I would say a computer with the same/better specs than those 3 she posted would be between $500 and $900, depending on what you really "need"

About the prices.

Desktop (JA 447,999) = US $516

All in one (JA $69,999) = US $752

Laptop same price as all in one.  The prices may be a few dollars more depending on current exchange rate.

You also need to take into consideration shipping and handling, plus whatever duties my country will apply. So buying a computer online is definitely out of the question, plus I can make monthly installments and get a 1 -2  year warranty on part and service

Thanks for providing the additional information.  While the cost is high compared to getting those level of specs here in the US it sounds as if you have done your homework.  I stand by what I had originally said.  If those three are your options and the price is good for Jamaica then from a performance standpoint the laptop is going to serve you best.

I went back to the store yesterday and I asked all sorts of questions.

I have other variable to think about too, such as:

a) I can get my computer on a payment plan
            b) I get a three year warranty for as log as the payment plan last
            c) If I don't purchase at this store  I would have to travel 50+ miles on a bus to get one in the city (I live in the countryside).
            d) This store is a distributor not a dealer, so they don't customize
            e) It also comes with insurance.

I am choosing th laptop because I cannot upgrade during the warranty period or I forfeit any warranty of parts or service. I would rather take the laptop and have a good machine with a three year warranty, than take any of the others, upgrade them and lose that warranty.

Sound logic.  I hope that everything works out for you.

Sapper, that is not an option for me, because by the time I have that computer shipped to Jamaica I would have paid double what i am about to pay locally. Sorry but your response doesn't help me at all. It's going to be one of the three I mentioned above.

4. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 11 years ago

If you don't planning on moving the computer much I'd always recommend a desktop. It's usually far more powerful for the same price but also is far easier to upgrade. Believe it or not it's actually very easy to build a desktop from scratch - doesn't require that much technical knowledge and saves you hundreds.

I have a 4 year old PC that I have upgraded the CPU, RAM, Hard-Drive, Video Card and Power Supply - when I bought it I made sure I had a top quality mother board as this is the most important element when upgrading. This computer is still as powerful as modern computers.

If you go to sites like Tiger Direct you can usually find a decent desktop for less money too!

SimeyC, you don't live in Jamaica or understand how things work here in terms of pricing. Did you know it can be more expensive buying computer part than getting a new one? Yes. I had a desktop before and had to decide t get the netbook as it would have cost me more to actually upgrade the parts.    Plus you can't replace a processor so that was out of the question.

As I said, one of the three are my best choices.  Plus buying a computer online and having it shipped to Jamaica is out of the question.

1. SimeyC profile image88
        SimeyCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Didn't realize it was so expensive to ship to  Jamaica - most modern PCs let you replace the CPU - you are restricted but if the motherboard is modern it shouldn't be a problem......so if the desktop you have listed is fairly new then it's probably a good option for the long term.....

All the computers I listed are brand new. When you check the price quoted by the others above, my computers are less expensive. Still trying to make up my mind. I can't afford to upgrade for another couple years or so, so having a low performing computer right now would not be a wise choice. Shipping to Jamaica is a minimum 40% tax and customs fee of the value of the product. A brand new computer may cost more and that's on my end. The shipping cost from the seller is not included.

1. SimeyC profile image88
            SimeyCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I meant new as in terms of specs - a dual core has been around for a while (but is still very good) - if it has a good motherboard you should be able to upgrade the CPU to a cheap quad core in a few years.... if you're not playing top games etc. then the specs you mention are pretty decent.

How much would it cost to add 2GB Ram extra? - from my experience that makes a huge difference to performance - especially if it is DDR3.

The Laptop has the best chip though and the most memory!

I think you have to go with your gut - without full specs it's hard to tell - you give the memory - but not the type - I suspect the PC has 2GB DDR3 which is better than the All In One which probably has 4GB DDR2. You don't say what graphics card they have - this can be important - an integrated video card will not be as good as a dedicated video card and will effect performance. The bigger HD size is probably going to be faster- another issue with performance.

5. profile image0
    GoldenThreadPressposted 11 years ago

I would go with the laptop, #3 option that is, unless your current laptop has the same capabilities. I gave up on a regular PC and I use a MacBook Pro 17"--which they don't make that size of a monitor anymore. Still, I don't miss my tower or the inability for it to move from place to place. With the new powerful processors, you won't miss the tower either.

But, whatever you do give them each a try. What you want is at least the 6 Gigs of RAM and plenty of internal memory--that is what I liked about option #3. And, by all means, don't go for the 2 Gigs unit. That is the minimum for running any of the new software. You will be selling yourself short and you will never be happy with the unit. If the speakers are good and the monitor good picture, then you should be all set. In the end, however, give the keyboard a try and see if everything fits your need. Then make your choice.

Check, too, as the others have mentioned for options to add memory. You probably won't need it, though. Good luck. I hope you find one that really suits your needs.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)